Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Average time spent?

Just a sorta fun thread...on average, how much time do you spend taking photos in a week? Is this in addition to working full time or is this a full time hobby?

02-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Leana Quote
Just a sorta fun thread...on average, how much time do you spend taking photos in a week? Is this in addition to working full time or is this a full time hobby?
Of late not much due to the fact I work until 5 and it begins to get dark by the time I make it home. I may get out more as the days getting longer with more sun in the evenings.
02-19-2011, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Under normal conditions I just dont have any time at all for photography. The great majority of my shots are taken during holiday seasons, some - but really not that many - during weekends.
The older I get the more this is pissing me off...
02-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

This'd be a good poll.
Less than an hour of effective photography for me this week.
Too busy with courses, work and being a servant, er... family guy.

02-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I was lucky enough to retire early and am able to play with gears about an hour per day and another hour at night on the computer trying to cover up my errors. Every day. Oh, and the morning starts off with about an hour on PF.com and I fall asleep reading Outdoor Photographer and the B&H Catalog most nights.

So its typically 1 hour actually outside shooting and 3 hours non-shooting activities every day.
02-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I always have the camera with me and am always ready to shoot but lately I am a lot pickier about pressing the shutter button. So I'd have to say the time is about an hour a week, but I get just as many keepers as when it was 4 hours.

Of course if I have a photo gig this goes way up.
02-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I walk my dog, Marley, about an hour every day and that's when I have the time to take pictures. 'course in the "dog days" of winter there's barely enough light to see him (he's solid black) so it averages out a bit less.

Last edited by jamarley; 02-20-2011 at 05:26 PM.
02-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
The older I get the more this is pissing me off...
That is EXACTLY how I feel! Just no time to enjoy the things we enjoy most in life! Oh and I am happy to hear that I am not the only one who MIGHT get an hour a week in for shooting pics.

02-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #9
Pentaxian

probably 4 hrs a week, I basically try to get in one whole day a fortnight.
02-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Leana Quote
That is EXACTLY how I feel! Just no time to enjoy the things we enjoy most in life! Oh and I am happy to hear that I am not the only one who MIGHT get an hour a week in for shooting pics.
Ouch. That's a very schadenfreude attitude.

In turn, may I remind you that you are the one that we elected to keep working hard to support the rest of us malingerers and layabouts to enjoy our hedonistic leisure?

.R. -- Who since retired years ago, can never find enough spare time to fit much pleasure like photography in. Having lot's of free time in retirement is a false delusion, dammit! Do not believe the myths, people.
02-20-2011, 05:48 AM   #11
Site Supporter

I get about 4-6 hours per week in, though my total catch may not look like it. I have a couple of walks with the camera each weekend, and some event or visit where I take the camera. I get more when traveling, hosting or in the summer when I may hike or do some outdoor activity in the evening. It is one reason I love to travel.
02-20-2011, 06:04 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
That's a very schadenfreude attitude
No no no I didn't mean it that way. I just really thought that I was the only one who hardly picked up their camera.
02-20-2011, 06:18 AM   #13

I work nights, which allows me to be out afternoons doing what ever I want. I spend at least 6 hours a week with my camera from early spring to late fall. Way less during the Central New York winters.
02-20-2011, 06:22 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Typically 1 hour actually shooting (or less) either indoor or outdoor, and 1 hours non-shooting activities every week.
Outdoor combine with walking and touring, planning carefully each time, normally with one lens. Indoor planning for lighting setup, but much less time on shooting, 5-10min for setup, 10-15min on shooting.
Thinking time not included.
Try to avoid PP as much as possible ;-) No time!
02-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Oh yeah, when I said one hour I meant that to represent the concentrated time I was actually thinking about shots and shooting. If I counted instead all the time I was out and ready to take a shot that would be... all the time I am out!