Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ebay focus screen + k-x: my experience

I had been wanting to get a split prism focusing screen for my k-x for some time, and now that I have a nice manual focus vivitar 28mm, I decided it was time. After some trawling around on fleabay, the cheapest focus screen I found was a Travor dual 45 sold by delight-digi. I found a recommendation for that vendor on the forums here, and decided to take the plunge. It took me a while to figure out how to undo the clip and remove the original screen, but after a while I got it. I figure this is where the special tool that comes with a katzeye or whatever is probably worthwhile. I ended up having to do some amount of futzing with shims and so on to get the focus calibrated accurately - for a while I was very worried, because I had severe front focus even with no shim. In the end, taking the factory shim out and making sure the screen was carefully placed got me to where focus is perfect. There is a tiny bit of dust and a couple minor scratches on the screen from all my messing about, but I'm not about to take it out over that Anyway, I have no association with delight-digi, but I was happy with their product, and am enjoying using a dslr that feels a tiny bit more like my old MX.

Here are a few pics of how it looks, taken with my wife's canon P&S:

out of focus:

in focus:

02-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Looks good acrollet. This is definitely something I'm looking to do with mine as I have a few M series lenses. Is it a tricky operation? Also, did Travor specify it was for the k-x?
02-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by piesforyou Quote
Is it a tricky operation? Also, did Travor specify it was for the k-x?
It's not that bad, really it takes patience and good light more than anything else. Oh, and a rocket blower The auction specified that the screen was for a k-x, on the box it says for k100d/k200d/k2000d - works fine.
02-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Well done. I'm interested too - getting a bit sick of my hit and miss manual focussing.

I keep hearing of these screens upsetting metering etc etc.
Has it effected metering at all? Does it look as bright as old screen?

02-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Has it effected metering at all?
so far the metering has looked great on all the shots I've taken, with the caveat that I haven't been outside a lot.

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Does it look as bright as old screen?
I didn't notice any big difference when I first looked through. Just now, I compared with my wife's k-x and I'd say that perhaps the stock screen is a bit brighter. It's a pretty subjective thing though, I wouldn't say that there's a big difference at all.
02-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I been wanting to do that and wow thats cheap! Do you notice any blackout at all? Try night shooting yet? I was gonna get a Katzeye but I am having trouble bitting the high price bullet.
02-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Hi, I would like to have one for my kx too.
Did you test the focus? like wide open, at minimum focus distance?
Does the focus spot right on without any adjustments?
thanks.
02-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I have one of these eBay screens for my K20D, and I'm delighted with it. It definitely does mess up spot metering, though.

It took me a few hours of tweaking and shimming (with masking tape) to get the viewfinder image to line up exactly with when real focus was achieved in the final shot, but it was time well spent. Be patient.

Blackout, for me, only seems to start around f/8. Before that, if you keep your eye perfectly centered, it's generally OK.

02-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
was gonna get a Katzeye but I am having trouble bitting the high price bullet.
you can get the same Nikon K3 focusing screen from Focusing Screen for lesser amount... or you can buy Nikon K3 blank for a lot less and cut it yourself...
02-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
Do you notice any blackout at all? Try night shooting yet?
I haven't really seen any blackout, but I'm not a big night shooter at this point...

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Did you test the focus? like wide open, at minimum focus distance?
Does the focus spot right on without any adjustments?
I did test the focus, and it did take me several adjustments and some amount of time to get it spot on...