Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2011, 06:40 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But back to the topic (before this gets moved to "Politics & Religion" ;~) We're planning a trip to China this summer so I read your your post with interest. Since it'll be a package tour (plus visiting my wife's family in Guanzhou/Hong Kong), there's less need to go ultra-light.

Also, while this will be my third trip to China, it's the first since I really got into photography and it may very well be my last so I'm approaching it as a once-in-a-lifetime photographic expedition. I'll be taking some of my best gear: certainly the K-5, DA 15mm, FA 31mm, Sigma 50-150, monopod & tripod and probably three other lenses (to be determined: macro? telephoto? shorter zoom?)

Thanks for the reminder that Southern Asia can be very humid--even more so than Baltimore in the summer (!) I figure I'll take some fresh silica gel with me (and perhaps buy some more to pack with the gear for the trip home.)

03-08-2011, 06:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Dadi - You can get plenty of (very cheap) dehumidifying packs at virtually any supermarket (and in all different forms) so no need to pack the suitcase with them !
03-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Dadi - You can get plenty of (very cheap) dehumidifying packs at virtually any supermarket (and in all different forms) so no need to pack the suitcase with them !
Good to know--I'm thinking the gear may actually be most vulnerable on the trip home.
03-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I'll be taking some of my best gear: certainly the K-5, DA 15mm, FA 31mm, Sigma 50-150, monopod & tripod and probably three other lenses
What is your strategy in case of loss or theft for this very expensive travelling kit. My usual strategy of taking out travel insurance and listing the expensive items I will be carrying with the insurer falls flat on its face if the local police do not even file a report for you.

03-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
What is your strategy in case of loss or theft for this very expensive travelling kit. My usual strategy of taking out travel insurance and listing the expensive items I will be carrying with the insurer falls flat on its face if the local police do not even file a report for you.
It's pretty much the same strategy (vigilance, insurance and hoping for the best) as here at home where, in my experience, those hazards are at least as likely. I'm just not the kind of guy who buys a Lamborghini but won't drive it past the end of the driveway. If I'm not going to take good gear on this trip, why buy it?
03-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

The difference is that at home or indeed most countries, the Police will atleast file a report and provide a copy of it. Most insurance companies require you to provide that report. The Vietnamese police official flatly refused to file a report when I was robbed, so in my case, even though I was insured for theft, I could not even file a claim.
03-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
The difference is that at home or indeed most countries, the Police will atleast file a report and provide a copy of it. Most insurance companies require you to provide that report. The Vietnamese police official flatly refused to file a report when I was robbed, so in my case, even though I was insured for theft, I could not even file a claim.
That bites, for sure. I'll be in China, though, and part of a tour group for most of the time (tour companies are good at facilitating things for their clients.) The bottom line is I'm self-insured for that sort of contingency. Sure it's a risk but it's not like I'm counting on having that stuff in the after-life.

To put this in another perspective, we're taking something far more precious on this trip: our daughter. If I'm going to worry about anything, it's her safety.

Last edited by dadipentak; 03-08-2011 at 07:40 PM.
03-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
If I'm going to worry about anything, it's her safety.
Very true. I could relate another incident in Kerala in India, where a safari guide took my daughter and self by foot on a jungle trail with fresh pug marks of a tiger and cub armed with nothing more than an umbrella. I went very rapidly from wanting to see and photograph a tiger, to praying feverishly that we wouldn't meet one. A few months later, a UK woman was trampled by a wild elephant on the same trail. Travelling to these countries, one must not assume the same safeguards that we are used to at home will also exist there.

03-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope it was a very sturdy umbrella! I had a somewhat similar experience (but no sign) in bear country out west. I'm pretty risk averse when it comes to personal safety--and comfort for that matter.
03-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Perhaps we should start a thread with photography related anecdotes.
03-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #26

My little Hanoi.

03-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #27

Original Poster
Thanks for your pictures timdentet ! The streets seem to be quite empty, I've rarely seen that before in Hanoi!
03-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Timdentet, Wonderful pictures! What camera was that? What len(ses) did you use? How much post processing did you do on the images? Would mind divulging some of your secrets?
03-14-2011, 04:46 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
Timdentet, Wonderful pictures! What camera was that? What len(ses) did you use? How much post processing did you do on the images? Would mind divulging some of your secrets?
I use pentax k-x with lens kit. By some preset on lightroom 3, the image became nice as you seen. Welcome you to Hanoi and enjoy a peaceful moment like this at the midnight.

Here with kit and 70ltd in the flower market

03-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #30

Original Poster
nice shots here tim! I haven't seen any flower market when I was there, maybe because of the late summer.