Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Randomosity keeps things fresh for me.

im no pro and i dont sell my pictures so i usually dont sweat the details too much.

one camera, one lens, one tripod, and three SD cards. thats all i ever take, but then again that just about all i have. i like to drive around untill i see something interesting, or i just go park downtown and start walking. i have a small inexpensive tripod that i rigged a strap to and just throw it on my back in case i find a use for it.

i typically like to start as early in the day as possible and wander until im out of memory space, my battery dies, or just feel content with what i have captured on that day.

i feel like a lot of the best photographs ive seen were not planned, same goes for me.
most of my best pictures just sort of happened so to speak.

02-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
that's funny because i will be more spontaneous (and generate more crap pictures) on digital due to the zero cost. with film i tend to put way more thought into it unless i am just winding off some film to test a new piece of gear.
I would say there are 2 different ways to think about it too. For example, I am spontaneous with 35mm film as I often just chuck a camera in my bag and see what happens. Often on social outings. However when I go to take a shot, I often put a fair bit more thought into the individual shot than I would with digital.

I still take a lot of crap pictures on any format, camera or lens
02-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #33
Forum Member

While I respect and admire those in category A, I have to say B. In my opinion, the best shots are usually unplanned and spontaneous. As for the, 'what if I leave and can't find anything to take pictures of,' question: Photography is whatever you make it. The world is a wacky place, there will never be a shortage of things to take pictures of
02-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #34
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kardinal Quote
While I respect and admire those in category A, I have to say B. In my opinion, the best shots are usually unplanned and spontaneous. As for the, 'what if I leave and can't find anything to take pictures of,' question: Photography is whatever you make it. The world is a wacky place, there will never be a shortage of things to take pictures of

Straight up

02-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #35
Site Supporter

This weekend I spontaneously planned an outing. Occasionally I have something planned on the calendar, then just do whatever come to mind when I'm there.
02-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #36

I often plan photo shoots. But when it comes down to it I get there and find something much more interesting to photograph.
Like PaulfromTexax I am taking for a calender for 2012. Its the last day of February and I have already got over 500 suitable shots, probably only about 20 of them were planed.
At the end of the day you can't plan for that great shot you see at that unexpected moment.
03-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #37
Pentaxian

I do both, I always have my 16-45 lens on the camera when I am going somewhere (soon to replaced with the 40mm 2.8). So it is all spontaneously

But if I go and take surf pics, it will be planned as I do need my 400mm

If I go to festivals, it will be planned as well with the 28-105
03-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I do both really. It's nice just hitting up a local forest preserve or similar to walk around and take photos. On the otherhand I spend a good deal of planning on conventions I attend about what gear would work best.

03-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
For me it depends. If I am doing a gig, then I plan within a determained framework depending on the nature of the shoot.

If its just for fun, depends on my mood. Yesterday for instance I'd been planning the trip all week and decided that I would force myself to use just one lens and got good results.

Sometimes I'm in a spontaneous mood and grab whatever gear and get in the car and go.

I find that as my life gets busier I am forced to plan more.

Actually, just going out with just one lens (prefered a prime) is a bit planning. But one of the best way to get the best pictures. As you are forced to think what your lens does see, instead of seeing something and then just see what your zoom will make of it
03-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #40
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Dependant upon how I'm feeling on any given shooting day, I'm either halfway between A and B, or completely inclined towards B, though most of the time I would be exactly halfway between those two points. A 7.5, you could say.

So much of what is wondrous about this beautiful life is that which occurs spontaneously. As a photographer, I care about documenting every beautiful thing I possibly can. It's just the case that you often hare to be more fluid and versatile if you want to capture all the spontaneous beauty.

Best!
03-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
Actually, just going out with just one lens (prefered a prime) is a bit planning. But one of the best way to get the best pictures. As you are forced to think what your lens does see, instead of seeing something and then just see what your zoom will make of it
And this is quite right. A famous fotog (Berenice Abbott?) said that photography teaches us to see without a camera. I'll reverse that -- it teaches us to see *LIKE* a camera, and like a lens specifically. Load a cart of slow film in a Petri 7s rangefinder with a fixed Petri 45/1.8 Amber-C lens and magic-eye (no batteries!) metering and wander around, 'seeing' with just that viewpoint. No cheating, no finessing -- for a different viewpoint, you must actually move around, gauge distances and angles, 'see' with that lens' eye. Any fixed-lens camera forces this discipline on us. And film forces us to THINK about each shutter-snap, if we're cheap bastards like me. But that's another story...

Last edited by RioRico; 03-02-2011 at 04:30 PM.
03-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
Over the decades, I've taken so many pics that just taking pics doesn't do much for me.
Ditto. I'm always seeking new subjects, new approaches, new ways to see. There's only so many flowers, sunsets, children and cats that I can take LOL!

I'm much more focused towards taking pictures that tell a story these days. So that's not a single, well-composed image, but rather a series of interesting, well-composed images that can create and support a narrative. While this requires some forethought and planning, it also requires the flexibility to see a moment take shape and to capture it.

More narrative storytelling is leading me to video, which while very similar to photography, is also very different. It takes a lot more planning and forethought.