Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Are you a Spontaneous or a Planner?

There's been a few interesting (to me anyway) topics pop up on here lately from casual Users asking of other-users behavioural type questions, of a photographic interest related nature.

So here's another for anyone who might want to let their deepest inner secrets flow. How does your Pentax alter-ego life, fit into your life.

Brief: When you get the time to do some camera play, have a pic-taking session for fun enjoyment leisure whatever (not for regimental work), be-it indoors or out; how do you try and prefer to approach it?

Type A: Are you the deliberate type who likes to ponder and plan and selects this and that equipment for the day, even down to including preferred subject type material in the plan -- and with that strategy up the sleeve, then go for it confidently with hope to achieve?

Type B: Or are you the free-for-all spontaneous one who just grabs some gear with nil real plan or little thought, totally armed with faith and confident that subjects and interests will present themselves, and you're happy to react to the randomness -- a whatever comes and anything, if anything, goes type of exercise?

And if you made it this far, just one more question to summarise the above:
In hindsight, what do you you feel is your success (satisfaction) rate with your chosen A or B methods, or of both as a comparison?

Nb: I've left this free-minded without the constraints of button-pushing poll type limited choice response. For all we know there might be an individual in the world.
Oh yeah, and just be honest if you respond.

.R. -- Slicing brains at the synapses and neurons level...

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-20-2011 at 08:32 AM.
02-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ok, I'll play. If you put a & B at the opposite ends of a 10-point continuum, I'd come in at an 8 (that is, closer to the "B" end of the scale. I'm often, "Oh I haven't shot with that ens for a while--let me take it along and see what I can find." Less often, it's, "Now's the perfect time to shoot the old scrapyard--I'd better take the FA XXmm."
02-20-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Ok, I'll play. If you put a & B at the opposite ends of a 10-point continuum, I'd come in at an 8 (that is, closer to the "B" end of the scale. I'm often, "Oh I haven't shot with that ens for a while--let me take it along and see what I can find." Less often, it's, "Now's the perfect time to shoot the old scrapyard--I'd better take the FA XXmm."
Exactly the type of open, sincere, to-the-point response with the character and spirit of what I'd hoped would forthcome. An interesting insight into one person's thinking and doing. Thanks indeed for playing. And thanks because you did "get it".

.R. -- There are no trick questions, only trick answers. (Just listen to a politician respond.)

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-20-2011 at 08:34 AM.
02-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I despise carrying large amounts of equipment. Typically I'll load up what I want to use with a specific purpose in mind. What I actually do when I get there however, is typically freelance. That is, whatever looks interesting to me I'll take a photo of it. I don't know where that puts me on your A-B question, probably somewhere in the middle.

02-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I despise carrying large amounts of equipment. Typically I'll load up what I want to use with a specific purpose in mind. What I actually do when I get there however, is typically freelance. That is, whatever looks interesting to me I'll take a photo of it. I don't know where that puts me on your A-B question, probably somewhere in the middle.

Film cameras: I plan and plan and plan . . . And very occasionally I take a photograph.

I have a slingbag loaded with a K10D, FA50, FA35, A35~105, DA50~300 and 360FGZ. I do best when it comes along in the car as an afterthought and I must make do with what I have.
02-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Well I actually do both and almost never inbetween. So I go out either with a plan or I go out with nothing, just a camera (sometime an extra lens) and see what happens.

Am I succesfull, well not everyday is a holiday

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 02-20-2011 at 02:10 PM.
02-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I do a little bit of both. I often carry my camera and a general lens, just looking for whatever I might run across. If I make some pics...great. If I don't...eh, no big deal. However, when I set out with the sole purpose of taking pictures, I do select gear which is specific to the types of pictures I anticipate, although I also bring along an odd-ball lens or two in case I encounter a "happy accident".
02-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For me it depends. If I am doing a gig, then I plan within a determained framework depending on the nature of the shoot.

If its just for fun, depends on my mood. Yesterday for instance I'd been planning the trip all week and decided that I would force myself to use just one lens and got good results.

Sometimes I'm in a spontaneous mood and grab whatever gear and get in the car and go.

I find that as my life gets busier I am forced to plan more.

02-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

sorta middle of the road, but a bit more towards A

It depends on what my mood is. Sometimes it's "The daffodils are in bloom, I think I'll head over to the Botanical Garden." In which case I'll bring the lenses I think will work best. I would guess that's about 57% of my shooting. About 38% it's more like "I can't stay inside a minute longer, I'm going out shooting" In that case I'll bring what ever lens(es) strike my fancy. I also do a third type of shooting "I haven't used XYZlens in a while, I think now's a good time to take it out" But in this case I'll go where ever it stirkes me. But this happens much less than the other 2, maybe only 5% of the time.
So little over half of my shooting is more or less structured, a little less than half is more or less unstructured, and a little bit is somewhat unstructured.

NaCl(or maybe you'd call that 5% somewhat structured )H2O
02-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Since I always have my cam I would say more random than anything. I just have a bag with focal lengths from 18-210 in the event i need something specific
02-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Ditto -- it depends. Depends on intent, mood, time, lens, whatever. The question is rather like, "Do you prefer to fry, scramble, or hard- or soft-boil eggs?" It depends. On many things.

Travel: I'll go into a town with a superzoom and wander around, shooting spontaneously. And I'll note specific shots I want to get. Then I'll return with selected gear for those shots.

Studio shots: Not much room for spontaneity there. Handheld macros in the field: I'll go with some ideas but I'll take whatever I can get. 'Art' abstractions: Totally on-the-fly. Etc.

I prefer my eggs scrambled or hard-boiled, thanks.
02-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Most of my shooting is late in the day when light is fading and oh so precious. What gear I take often depends on A) what I left on the camera from the previous outing (saves time) or B) lens tied to amount of light remaining.

When the weather and light is more hospitable most of my planning is where I'm going to go - it's mostly the local parks but I don't like to travel too far. I'll go further when I have more time.

And when I do plan to take along extra gear I usually end up not even taking it out - too afraid of dust on the sensor or dropping a filter, etc.

What does that make me - a Plantaneore? (dont' think so, I don't like vegetables much!)
02-21-2011, 04:17 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Also, it depends. When I go out for a sports shooting I may load my bag with fast lensens if it's an indoor event. if it's outdoors, depending on sport and light circumstances the log teles might find their way into the bag.
On the other hand I may decide to take a long walk in nature and just pick my cam + a lens and just see what will cross my path.
The results however may vary.
02-21-2011, 04:58 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Me generally more like RioRico.

Due to limited time, I m more of A type. Try to avoid PP as much as possible. Also I found myself happy doing the thinking, walking/looking around 5-10 min planning before setup. The more challenging the better, seen with existing on location equipments. I do walking around without camera for days, just play with the thinking process.
02-21-2011, 05:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Much more B than A for me, though I would like to move much more toward A. I think the reason for that desire is related to the second question that you asked - satisfaction. I'd like to progress my skills a lot more, and I believe that if I gave myself some specific photographic assignments it would help me develop my skills better. I'm also hoping that would help develop my creative eye and artistic capability. My current subject matter and composition looks very mundane, in my opinion - big dissatisfaction with that. Maybe I need art classes, or something - ?