Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #1

I have become obsessed with my K-7's built-in flash problem...

When you hold the camera and put the built in flash down and then go around the edges it is all perfectly smooth all round on the right, at the front and back but on the right it sticks out like half a millimetre. This is really bothering me now as I have OCD... When I push it very lightly where it sticks out it becomes all smooth, my theory is that somehow, the right side of the built in flash is not perfectly pressed against the built in flash itself like on the right... I called Pentax about it and they said this was normal and they are refusing to fix it... It's driving me crazy...

02-20-2011, 03:07 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Student Quote
When you hold the camera and put the built in flash down and then go around the edges it is all perfectly smooth all round on the right, at the front and back but on the right it sticks out like half a millimetre. This is really bothering me now as I have OCD... When I push it very lightly where it sticks out it becomes all smooth, my theory is that somehow, the right side of the built in flash is not perfectly pressed against the built in flash itself like on the right... I called Pentax about it and they said this was normal and they are refusing to fix it... It's driving me crazy...
Obsessive tendencies are very hard to control, believe me I know all about it. I'm the person who will leave my apartment and return 2-3 times worried I have left the stove on; so I won't say 'get over it', as that's not helpful.

However you can often effectively diffuse one obsession with a more productive one... in this case, maybe, taking photos? Choose a technique or focal length or time of day that you'd like to get really good at photographing and just pour yourself into that. Instead of looking for the benign imperfections in your equipment, look for some faults or areas where there is room to improve in your photography and get anxious about that instead! It's sure to produce some beautiful images, and that's what it's all about.
02-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
The strange thing is that considering today's technology we should be able to make perfect equipment. But old stuff seems more resistant and better built sometimes. I saw a Leica from the 1950ies, it was just perfect, I couldn't find anything wrong with it.
02-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Your K7 is messed up. Did it possibly get dropped?.
My K7 flash fit and finish is perfect.
No, it wasn't dropped or anything. Check the rear left side. Maybe you have the same thing?

02-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The strange thing is that considering today's technology we should be able to make perfect equipment. ...
And with todays people who don't want to pay much for equipment (not necessarily you) it's hard to actually check for imperfections before shipping.

Can you post an image of the problem that you have?
02-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, it wasn't dropped or anything. Check the rear left side. Maybe you have the same thing?
Mine fits fine everywhere, except for the left side, behind the mode dial. That's between the left side of the viewfinder and the mode dial. Without measuring, a half-mm sounds about right. I can squash it into place. It looks like I could pop up the flash and put some cyanoacrylate (Superglue) in the seam around the plastic part to stick it down better. I don't care that much and it would make repairs more difficult.
02-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Mine fits fine everywhere, except for the left side, behind the mode dial. That's between the left side of the viewfinder and the mode dial. Without measuring, a half-mm sounds about right. I can squash it into place. It looks like I could pop up the flash and put some cyanoacrylate (Superglue) in the seam around the plastic part to stick it down better. I don't care that much and it would make repairs more difficult.
You have the same issue! You're just holding the camera the other way around.

But yes, you have the same thing, so maybe that's what Pentax meant with "It's a common issue..." Maybe there's a screw not screwed in properly? Gah, it's driving me mad. The rest of the camera is perfect, and I mean perfect.
02-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #8

Original Poster
I see what you are referring to. Yes, it is slightly uneven at that spot. Hope it does not explode or something worse later on.
And, NO, I would not consider it an "issue". That is just me.
For people with OCD like me this is very annoying, it's difficult to understand if you don't have OCD.

But I must say it sort of makes me feel better about it to hear that it is indeed normal as people are finding the same issue.

02-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #9

Original Poster
I have a 14 yo with OCD, it is not pretty.
OCD doesn't stop because you turn 20.
02-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For people with OCD like me this is very annoying, it's difficult to understand if you don't have OCD.

But I must say it sort of makes me feel better about it to hear that it is indeed normal as people are finding the same issue.
One of the hallmarks of OCD is the mind failing to be quieted by objectively soothing information for any particular length of time, like knowing for a fact that this slight misalignment is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. You feel better about it NOW, but you will be bothered by it later regardless and will probably search out further proof that you shouldn't be concerned, even though you've already acquired that information. For instance, I used to take pictures of my space heater's dial in the "OFF" position with my cellphone so I could convince myself when I was out that I really had remembered to turn it off and it wasn't burning down buildings, as I wouldn't trust the 45 minutes of memories I had recorded staring at the off switch before going out.

Since I deal with these same issues I'm going to offer you my empathy, but I am also going to caution you against putting the letters O-C-D out on the internet unsolicitedly as an excuse, especially since you brought it up before anyone answered your question. It's a difficult condition to deal with but you don't need to let it define you.

Breathe deep and go take some photos. Use the flash if you need to for a while, so you won't be able to see this common imperfection. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with your camera.
02-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
One of the hallmarks of OCD is the mind failing to be quieted by objectively soothing information for any particular length of time, like knowing for a fact that this slight misalignment is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. You feel better about it NOW, but you will be bothered by it later regardless and will probably search out further proof that you shouldn't be concerned, even though you've already acquired that information. For instance, I used to take pictures of my space heater's dial in the "OFF" position with my cellphone so I could convince myself when I was out that I really had remembered to turn it off and it wasn't burning down buildings, as I wouldn't trust the 45 minutes of memories I had recorded staring at the off switch before going out.

Since I deal with these same issues I'm going to offer you my empathy, but I am also going to caution you against putting the letters O-C-D out on the internet unsolicitedly as an excuse, especially since you brought it up before anyone answered your question. It's a difficult condition to deal with but you don't need to let it define you.

Breathe deep and go take some photos. Use the flash if you need to for a while, so you won't be able to see this common imperfection. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with your camera.
Rep +