Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K7 Is It Right For Me

I have been using a ist DL2 for the last few years. I don't consider myself to be a novice but at the same time not a pro either. Although the above camera has served me well in every way I think that it's time for me to upgrade and I'm really not sure what direction to take. I like the K7 build quality and all of the feature it has to offer, but at the same time I feel that it could be to much camera in relation to my skills level. I would like opinions of other members who might have made a similar transition going from entry level Pentax to the K7 or K5. Should I just go for it and learn as a go along or would the Kr be better suited for my skill level. I would like my next camera to allow me to grow with it and at the same time not make me think of upgrading for at least the next 5 years or so. The cost is not the issue in any way I'm just afraid that coming from the easy to use ist DL2 the K7 might just overwhelm me with all of it's settings, function and features.
Thanks Ross

02-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that one way to answer your queries is to share my own experience.

The K-7 was the previous Pentax flagship with a number of semi-pro features. However, it was also my first dSLR and I did not buy it for the technical features. I bought my K-7 for the built quality, the weather resistance, the viewfinder, the handling and its performances (eg Hi continuous shooting). I was not disappointed and I love all these. In fact, the K-5 re-uses basically these same features from the K-7. It says a lot

In addition, I learned to love the more advanced features of the K-7 with time. True, I do not use all the features, but there are available if and when I need.

What do I miss? Not much! The K-x, K-r and K-5 have better high-ISO performances. But neither the K-r and K-x have the handling and built-quality of K-7/K-5. Exit the K-x and K-r. That leaves the K-5. If I had the money, would I upgrade for the K-5? Yes.... but I selected to invest in good quality lenses instead and I do not regret my decision. (A camera looses rapidly its value, being replaced every 12 months. A lens does not.)

Hope that the comments and experience will assist. Go for the K-7. It is a fantastic deal right now as it is replaced by the K-5.
02-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #3

If you want to grow with the camera and not upgrade for at least 5 years, go with the K7 or K5. I don't believe either would be overwhelmingly complicated. With the Kx or Kr you will get great pictures put probably not much new as far as features to learn. Don't get me wrong, there are differences from the *ist series, but mostly improvements in the technology. With the K7/K5 you at least get the luxury of WR body.
02-20-2011, 07:06 PM   #4

Original Poster
hcc and AOShep:
Thanks so very much for taking the time to reply.
The reason why the K7 appealed to me was first the build like a small tank quality, It's many features and lastly but most important I already have a few lenses and that allowed me to only purchase the body. The fact that the K7 has been replaced makes it a bargain when comparing it to other similar offerings from the big two. I don't have the camera at the moment it should be here in the next few days, considering that it was selling for $1200 till a couple of months ago and can now be had for just 70$ more than the body of a D90( FINE CAMERA BY THE WAY) makes the K7 a no brainer.
I just hope that the learning curve won't be to bad

02-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by quartz Quote
...I just hope that the learning curve won't be to bad
I still look for the playback button where it used to be.
02-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #6

I got the K7 as my first dslr. And, whenever I feel out of my depth or just don't have the time to figure things out, I leave it in auto mode and let the camera sort it out (which is does well most of the time). So, you can make it as simple or as difficult as you want, the camera will keep up no problem. Although the K5 is a better camera, it's not better enough to make me purchase one. I think Ill sit out the k7 and get the k3 (or whatever they call it) when it comes out. BTW, there are quite a few canadian pentaxians around if you ever need advice.
02-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I like the K7 build quality and all of the feature it has to offer, but at the same time I feel that it could be to much camera in relation to my skills level.
Hi Ross

I can't really see the "too much" argument for the K-7 -- one of it's best features is that it's well-sorted and easy to use. I suppose there are some more esoteric features, in comparison to an ist DL2, but these just don't get in the way.

The K-7 is a great camera; easy to use, solid in hand. A great camera with which to EXPAND you skill level.

02-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm positive my K-x is actually harder to use than a K-7 or K-5.

This is because the K-7 has much easier access to buttons and switches for changing settings rather than having to dig through menus. It also have TAv mode which I would really love to have, but instead have to wrestle between M/Av/Tv trying to get the camera to do what I want with both shutter and depth of field.

No need to wait for a K-3, the K-5 is a massive step forward from the K-7 (which itself wasn't much of an improvement over the K20).
02-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #9

Original Poster
A big thanks to you all. It's very encouraging to hear that the K7 even though not as good as the K5 is still considered by so many to be a good camera. It's also good to hear that due to the many buttons and switches it should be fairly easy to change setting without going into the menus. All I can do is wait and see.
02-20-2011, 11:07 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
Also, you don't have to use all of the features or buttons - I don't. It's a lovely camera.
02-21-2011, 03:46 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I have been using a ist DL2 for the last few years. I don't consider myself to be a novice but at the same time not a pro either. Although the above camera has served me well in every way I think that it's time for me to upgrade and I'm really not sure what direction to take. I like the K7 build quality and all of the feature it has to offer, but at the same time I feel that it could be to much camera in relation to my skills level. I would like opinions of other members who might have made a similar transition going from entry level Pentax to the K7 or K5. Should I just go for it and learn as a go along or would the Kr be better suited for my skill level. I would like my next camera to allow me to grow with it and at the same time not make me think of upgrading for at least the next 5 years or so. The cost is not the issue in any way I'm just afraid that coming from the easy to use ist DL2 the K7 might just overwhelm me with all of it's settings, function and features.
Thanks Ross
I will never, let me say that again, NEVER, understand this mentality. The too much camera for me mentality. The fact is, everything you can do with your DL2, you can do with the K7. The only difference is there are no 'scene' modes. If you want to shoot full auto, stick the camera into green mode or one of the program modes, and fire away. When you decide you want to walk on the wild side, switch to the manual mode and enjoy all the control you have with it.

02-22-2011, 01:25 AM   #12
Forum Member

I was happy when I got my K-7 got it second hand with everything i needed. 16-50 DA* Battery Grip and 16gb SDcard. Until I found out about the k-5 having a better auto focus and various other things i hear about. Make sure to read my sig to see how i felt about that
02-22-2011, 05:02 AM   #13
axl
Veteran Member

my 2p if I may...

My Pentax journey begun in 2006.
In past 4.5 years I went through K100D > K10D > K10D GP > K-7 and had the chance of using my wife's GX20 and K-x....

a) there is never a too much of a camera for anyone. If you don't feel confident, just put it to green mode
b) as said above, K-7 will let you do all that DL is letting you do, but faster and easier. Of course it will let you do more on some occasions but this should not scare you but encourage you IMHO.
c) if you would want direct upgrade, you should go for K-x or K-r

Now, would I go for c?!?
in one word: Never!
Why?
Coming from K100D to K10D I realized just how much easier the life is with 2 dials and external controls. No more extensive digging into menus, and no more furious button punches before I wanted to take specific shot... 2 dials is way to go, IMHO.
Size wise, K100 felt tad small, K10D felt the right size but grip could be better. K-7 is tad small but with excellent grip. I don't have the grip (yet) but I have to say that despite my long fingers and large(ish) palms, the K-7 feels very comfortable.
What do I think of K-7 vs K-x?
K-x may have some advantage in ISO800 and above, and is just about the same in 400 and lower. But:
K-7 has better VF, it's brighter and the opportunity of seeing 100% is invaluable.
K-7 is better built, is more comfortable, and easier to operate (IMO)
of course, K-x is smaller, lighter and bit more portable
The colours of K-7 are not too different from the old 6mpx sensors in *ist series and K1x0D series. So it shouldn't be too much of a problem for you.

All in all, if you are few years into DSLR world, know your stuff about exposure etc, I'd say yes, K-7 good for you. The size difference isn't huge. And you'll get improvement in every respect.
Go for it....
02-22-2011, 05:02 AM   #14
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tremaine Quote
I was happy when I got my K-7 got it second hand with everything i needed. 16-50 DA* Battery Grip and 16gb SDcard. Until I found out about the k-5 having a better auto focus and various other things i hear about. Make sure to read my sig to see how i felt about that
Unfortunately your sig is not showing in this post
02-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
K10D GP
What the heck is this K10GP and where do I find one for a dramatically reduced price. And my sig is in relation to me buying a K-7 then the K-5 pops outs. I love it and got it fully equipped