Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ultimate Electronics Closing

If you live near one of their stores you may want to keep an eye on Pentax gear as they increase the discounts. Right now the deals are not that good but given time things may be at a better price than Adorama.

The downside to this is that there will now be no place in the Denver metro area where you can actually touch a Pentax DSLR. It may also be true that there will be no stores selling the Optios either but I am not certain of that.

02-20-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
haha thats where i got my K20D. id say 359 was low enough
02-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

There are none of these stores here in the Cleveland, Ohio area. So this news doesn't really concern me. It is always a shame to see a brick and mortar camera store close, though.

My question, though, is: How can Pentax USA, which is headquartered in the Denver area, allow this to happen? How can it be that, in the US home of Pentax cameras, there are NO camera stores that carry the brand.

Perhaps THIS will get through the thick skulls at Pentax' marketing department that this is no way to sell cameras. Online and mailorder sales are fine and dandy, for people who know what they want. How, though, do you get to new buyers, who aren't sure what they want or need? These buyers go to a camera store, or camera department of a big box store and ask someone there, who, more than likely, will steer them to the Canon and Nikon cameras that they have in stock. Even if the store is a Pentax dealer, if they have none in stock, they're not going to sell very many.

WAKE UP PENTAX. You can't last forever on internet sales.
02-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
Forum Member

the funny thing is that Ultimate was just an overpriced best buy

02-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Last time was in one seen DA 18-250 for $495,about three months ago,seeing
that thing at that time was what pic'd the interest.Was just before thanksgiving.
Impossible to shop for lens when your with someone that has bad "HABA"....
Household appliance buying addiction.
02-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #6

Original Poster
I bought my K20 at Ultimate in the Fall for $400 which I considered a good deal. I am watching the prices on their stock of 360FGz flashes to see if they drop to a level where I might consider replacing mine. Mine still works but needs several rubber bands to hold the battery door closed and they cover up the sensor.

I checked on the Pentax web site this morning and the only products sold in retail stores in the Denver area are binoculars and rifle scopes. If you want a camera you have to buy it online and I agree with Paul; for me $400 was a lot of money and there would have been no way I would have bought the K20 online. I will not buy something that expensive without having a chance to handle it first.
02-21-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
not much in Buffalo, NY

Hi All,

Our Ultimate Electronics store here in the Buffalo, NY area never stocked any Pentax DSLR's or Pentax accessories. I stopped in just a few days ago to check out the price of a Optio W90 and it was still way more $$ than on the internet and only discounted 10% so far. The salesperson told me to stop by again as the discounts increase.
02-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter

The Syracuse UE was only open for 6 months. It's just the latest in a long line of electronics stores that have failed at the mall. Lechmere, Nobody Beats The Wiz, CompUSA, Circuit City...

02-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zman Quote
Hi All,

Our Ultimate Electronics store here in the Buffalo, NY area never stocked any Pentax DSLR's or Pentax accessories. I stopped in just a few days ago to check out the price of a Optio W90 and it was still way more $$ than on the internet and only discounted 10% so far. The salesperson told me to stop by again as the discounts increase.
If the closing of UE is anything like the closing of Circuit City these sales will be going on for a least a couple of months. They've returned everything they could to the manufacturers and they will keep marking stuff down until it is gone.
02-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Stopped in the Portland store today to see what they had. The only Pentax product was the Optio W90. I think the price was 20% off, $229, if I remember right. All they had were two orange ones which really isn't my color even if I was in the market. I was really hoping they had some lenses in stock, but not even a display area for them.

I think they were open about 3 months here.
02-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by PaulfromTexas Quote
the funny thing is that Ultimate was just an overpriced best buy
Not IMO. Ultimate had staffers that were well trained and able to intelligently answer questions. At BB all I get is, "Do you want help carrying that out?"
02-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sandilands Quote
Not IMO. Ultimate had staffers that were well trained and able to intelligently answer questions. At BB all I get is, "Do you want help carrying that out?"
The store here didnt seem too knowledgeable, but then again they were only open about a month or so.

thats true about best buy tho, i asked a few different people the same question about the same product one time and the responses were all annoyingly similar. obviously there is only so much you can say about a camera or laptop, but it seemed too rehearsed.