Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nikon does have a better 'command' system if you shoot using more than one Nikon speedlite, but in a studio environment, you don't. Very often, you are shooting with larger 3rd party strobes.

There is the lack of tethering, so it depends if that is the work setup that you will shot primarily in.

Otherwise, the K5 is as good a match to the Canikons if not better.

If its a perception problem of being afraid of being mocked for using a Pentax, then I'd honestly suggest you get a Canikon. I find that I 'walk tall' using a Pentax amongst sheep using Canikon

02-22-2011, 05:44 AM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks guys now Im down to choosning one or another..

Okay first of all - THANKS for all the inputs and thoughts..

Pros for the Nikon:
Flash - but not that important in studio settings I hear you say.
Autofocus - better - but then again - im not using it in nature or studio shoots..

Pentax just as good as the Nikon - better in some ways.
More egonomic and better feeling.
Sealed body and more solid..

Im not thinking tethering for now is what I need, but as I get more important work is it not a must have? To see and preview pictures faster? And faster photoshop effects.

In Denmark a Pentax K-5 + 18-135mm Lens Kit goes for the same as the Nikon d300 with lens and for a little more the d700 housing.

Will a Pentax k-5 add up to d300/d700 in image quality - sensor and so?

How much downside is it that the Pentax k-5 don't feature FF?

Its really hard choosing (:

Regards Malthe
02-22-2011, 06:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

D700 and the FF is another game... It is truly magnificient camera - in right hands with right lenses. If you pair it with lenses like Nikkor 24-70 then you get to much higher performance. But if you use it with cheap lens you get performance quite close to the K-x. My friend did this mistake. He uses D700 and he spent whole budget for the camera. He uses it with cheap Tamron zoom lens and this is enough to kill the performance advantage.
02-22-2011, 07:56 AM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by malthe Quote
Will a Pentax k-5 add up to d300/d700 in image quality - sensor and so?

Its really hard choosing (:

Regards Malthe
We all know it is hard to choose. But then again, once you got it in your hands you just start to enjoy it, wich ever way you are going.

You are talking about K-5 and 18-135mm lens. So that is not a pro-line lens, and costs in The Netherlands for that team 1689 euro.
But still if you buy additional to that combo either DA*55mm or FA77mm for portraits you will have a nice deal.

Different choice would be K-5 and DA*16-50, DA*50-135 and for portrait DA*55mm and that combo will cost 3536 euro.

The absolutly better choice would be Nikon D700 with Nikkor AF-S 24-70/2.8G ED and AF-S NIKKOR 70-200 mm F/2.8G ED VR II and for Portraits Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.4G and that combo will cost 6587 euro.

So you see, you can go for the extra image quality, but then again are you up for it, or is it just a wast off money in your hands. You can make excellent pictures with K-5 and investing in knowledge of Adobe CS5 in how to deal with pictures and how to make them great you will gain more.

Even if you start now with K-5 and in two years time make a change in system (for what ever reason) and sell everything you still would save money on starting out with the Pentax system

02-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The absolutly better choice would be Nikon D700 with Nikkor AF-S 24-70/2.8G ED and AF-S NIKKOR 70-200 mm F/2.8G ED VR II and for Portraits Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.4G and that combo will cost 6587 euro.
QuoteOriginally posted by malthe:
I know Canon and Nikon has more lenses.. But Pentax has the ease of use and feels better in the hand.

I will primarily shoot a variety of Fasion/studio work and nature/architecture ..

Im not sure does anyone other than Nikon supports flash at the level of what Nikon sets - everyone says Nikon has the best flash and autofocus..

Does Pentax k-5 lacks that so bad?
I definitely agree with Ron's assessment of the Nikon D700/24-70mm combo, but as he mentioned, it's expensive, big, and HEAVY. Same goes for the 14-24mm and 70-200mm Nikkors. I can't imagine having that around my neck for a whole day. Great image quality for certain though. As for Nikon having more lenses, it doesn't necessarily mean you would use or buy all of them. Quite often people talk about the "Pro" lenses, but considering their prices, I don't think many people own them unless they are a professional selling their work. Pentax has plenty of lenses for what you would shoot.

I think the K-5 would do quite well in the studio and outside for landscapes considering it's dynamic range. As other mentioned, flash shouldn't be a big deal as most studios prefer monolights or battery packs triggered by pocket wizards. And for studio lighting, I've seen manual adjustments are preferred to get specific light ratios instead of using TTL systems.
Tethering is the only weakness I see with the K-5, but I suppose you could always get one of the Eye-Fi memory cards that transmit the photo to your computer through WiFi.

Last edited by einstrigger; 02-22-2011 at 01:34 PM.
02-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
I definitely agree with Ron's assessment of the Nikon D700/24-70mm combo, but as he mentioned, it's expensive, big, and HEAVY. Same goes for the 14-24mm and 70-200mm Nikkors.
I will vouch for this. The D700 can see in the dark, delivers superb IQ, and is a lug. The 14-24 and 24-70 lenses are *not* VR, but as zooms they match primes...for a major price. You get a low-light monster, a versatile street shooter, and a landscape virtuoso out of the D700. It lacks some resolution compared to the D3's, that's all. Nikon glass has a better warranty. With the exception of the aforementioned 85mm, there is really no need for primes with the D700 and the 14-70 range of zooms. But comparing the D700 to D300 is like comparing an 18-wheeler truck to a pickup truck. FF takes you into another league.

The K-5 is very affordable and portable in comparison. We're talking less than half the price. With primes it offers outstanding IQ and the sensor/ISO capacity gets the shot indoors. The knock against the Pentax is AF....it's just not as good as Nikon's. When it locks, it's accurate IMO and experience. OTOH, the feel of the recent Pentax line is better than any Nikon I have used, save the D40/60 a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, way. I would take the K-5 in a heartbeat over the D300 unless I was already invested in DX Nikon glass (which I am not). I'll let others speak to Pentax glass. Frankly, I think all the majors make very good glass nowadays.
02-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #22
Pentaxian

You can compare test images here :
Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

02-26-2011, 04:21 AM   #23
Forum Member

If you told me you were immediately doing paying jobs in certain sports or weddings I would suggest leaning towards the other brands.

But IMHO Landscape, architecture, fashion - no problem whatsoever especially if you don't have an ad agency looking over your shoulder at a tethering setup.

The cost/performance of the K-5 and some well picked glass will be hard to beat.

I was strongly considering switching brands recently until I priced the lenses.

For those rare sporting/nature events when I need 300mm/ f2.8 it is much more cost effective for me to rent - lens AND body.