Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2011, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #1

K20d vs Canon eos 40d, some impressions

Hi everyone,

I wrote a small post about some key differences between these two cameras after spending approx. thousand shots with the 40d, two years with the K20d.

It's also a general opinion between the two systems.

Hope you'll enjoy,

Cheers!

Yann

Quiet Leaf: Dilemma: Quality vs Speed

02-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice article, but 3 years too late. Since then Canon improved the IQ and Pantax improved the speed. And both did pretty well. So will you become a dual system shooter as I did?
02-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for this review. My daughter has a 40D and I have K-20. We have had both cameras for 2-3 years now. Simply put, I can't use her camera and she can't use mine (except in green mode). She shoots entirely in manual and although a better photographer than I, really hasn't bothered to learn a lot of her camera's extended functions. I've used just about everything on my K-20 that it has to offer. I can say that I've gotten used to the 'Canon' look from her camera and of course the Pentax look from mine.

Thank you for this review, I'll share it with my daughter. In general, I'd agree with a lot of the points there. Whether late or not, this comparison is useful to me. Thanks for posting it. +1
02-22-2011, 04:21 AM   #4

Original Poster
I'm a dual shooter since I have some Pentax gear left, but maybe I'll slowly move to an unique Canon system. I'm not in a hurry, for the moment the two systems work perfectly together as I use them differently, the 40d fills the gap where my Pentax couldn't compete, so I'm quite satisfied with the overall performance. And having two bodies is often an advantage.

I know that it comes 3 years too late, but I'm sure it will help some here as today you can easily 2nd hand 40d's with an excellent price/performance ratio, especially for those who want to go with a system adapted to their needs

But a small Pentax mirrorless camera for my old manual lenses would be an excellent companion!

Cheers,

Yann

02-22-2011, 05:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree that the 40D shooting twice faster with good IQ, magnesium body and faster AF is stiff competition for the K20D. I had similar feelings comparing my K10D with EOS 30D my girlfriend has.
But look at the present offerings. K-5 shines and 60d is seriously crippled down compared to 40D.
02-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #6

Original Poster
The 40d was a bargain and as I plan to upgrade to a full frame body, it made the decision easier.

But I think that even if the k-5 has been recently released, I compare it to the 7d, the 60d isn't a real contender against the k-5 (in my opinion).

Cheers!

Yann