Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would strongly recommend not using a UV filter at all. I stopped trying to use UV filters a while ago and haven't looked back, for me there are no positive effects of using them.
Even the case of needing them as "protection" for the lens is a poor argument to me. Use the lens hood and be careful

02-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
but surely as you are someone like me from the 2nd windiest city in the world and probably close to the sandiest.. careful doesnt cut it on the beach and certainly doesnt on the boat..

I have just ordered a tammy 70-200 and will be putting a hoya pro1 uv on for protection only... i dont want the lens scratched by sand

i have used them in the past and never had any issues.. but thats only me and my opinion... i only use them for protection...

Steve
02-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
A 77 would look pretty funny on a little limited pancake lens though
Yeah, that would look goofy. On Nikon's completely oversized lenses, though, it will probably look right at home.

But that is a good point. Even on an FA50, a 77 w/step-up would look out of place. I suppose it depends on how you're using it. The polarizer will be more carry around for me, I'd imagine, where the NDs will be shoot specific.
02-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by 5teve Quote
but surely as you are someone like me from the 2nd windiest city in the world and probably close to the sandiest.. careful doesnt cut it on the beach and certainly doesnt on the boat..

I have just ordered a tammy 70-200 and will be putting a hoya pro1 uv on for protection only... i dont want the lens scratched by sand

i have used them in the past and never had any issues.. but thats only me and my opinion... i only use them for protection...

Steve
Your lens won't erode. As long as you're using a rocket blower before using a lens pen or cloth, you'll be fine.

If I was doing a UV, I would be going with a B+W or Heliopan. There's no point having a great lens and slapping on simply "good" piece of flat, uncoated glass on the front.

02-23-2011, 08:38 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
Your lens won't erode. As long as you're using a rocket blower before using a lens pen or cloth, you'll be fine.

If I was doing a UV, I would be going with a B+W or Heliopan. There's no point having a great lens and slapping on simply "good" piece of flat, uncoated glass on the front.
its true it wont erode... but i have scratched glass before, so am just sensitive to it.. as i said its only my opinion...you must have experienced the sticky sand we have here.. a blower sometimes just doesnt shift it! plus my 'genuine' rocket blower has no filter and was full of release chalk! joy! i suspect it wasnt genuine...

The hoya hmc pro-1D filters are highly regarded from what i have read and experienced.. so i will stick with what i know, which isnt much!

Steve
02-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some years ago, I read a survey of pro photographers to ask them if they put a UV filter on every lens for protection, or if they never used a UV filter on the grounds that it is two more glass surfaces to cause veiling flare. The two types of photographers were each about half of hose surveyed. 100% used a protector in windy sand areas, which makes sense to me.

Up until about 1976, I was the first kind. Now I am the second kind. What happened in 1976? I got modern lenses. Up until then I was using an original Asahi Pentax with genuine Takumar preset lenses with at best single coatings. I have yet to have a lens damaged by salt spray, but would definitely buy protectors for a Sahara safari. Sand is abrasive.

Salt can be rinsed off. Even when it is a whole bunch of salt water. My trusty KX and 70-210 zoom lens caught a nicely aimed whale tail splash about 1/3 of the way through a whale show in Victoria, BC, Canada. I spent the last 2/3 of the show rinsing and wiping down, much to my family's snickering delight. However, neither the camera nor the lens had any residual effects.

Next time I'll use a W90 or equivalent.
02-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Steve
Steve,

I think you have a valid point and in those situations I would consider using a filter too. I guess I meant for general 'protection'
The wind and sand of Perth on the coast is pretty extreme. Personally I don't normally shoot in those sort of conditions so I haven't felt the need. Sand would be the worst. I have shot with some amount of salt spray but normally just wipe it off.

cheers,
02-24-2011, 12:53 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
You are likely to get a bunch of replies regarding the pros and cons of using a UV filter in the first place. Most people do use one I think.

In any case, here is a link. It is a little old but still useful:
UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com
Thanks! I read this a year or so before, but couldn't find it and now you linked it again.

02-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Steve,

I think you have a valid point and in those situations I would consider using a filter too. I guess I meant for general 'protection'
The wind and sand of Perth on the coast is pretty extreme. Personally I don't normally shoot in those sort of conditions so I haven't felt the need. Sand would be the worst. I have shot with some amount of salt spray but normally just wipe it off.

cheers,
Its horses for courses obvoiusly and down to how comfortable you are..

As i'm a lazy kinda guy... i'd rather put it on and leave it on (unless it causes issues) than try and remember.. and as this is the most expensive lens i have ever bought i thought it was cheap insurance.. but not the cheapest if you know what i mean!

I frequently use my camera on the beach, in the water, on the boat and yes salt just wipes off i have no issue with that.. its just murphys law that when i go to wipe it off it will have 1 grain of sand also! and i know thats all it takes!

saying that i have a sigma 28-70 f2.8 that i have had for over a year (and i may be selling soon) that hasnt had a filter on it and has survived quite admirably... however i have been paranoid as all hell when on the beach...

i dont think anyone denies that filters have an effect, but if you buy good ones and not cheapo ones, they have far less of an effect.. and to me thats worth it for the peace of mind i have..

Steve
02-24-2011, 03:03 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
A 77 would look pretty funny on a little limited pancake lens though
Something like this?

Last edited by jolepp; 03-16-2011 at 08:54 AM.
02-24-2011, 03:07 AM   #26
Veteran Member

i dont think anyone denies that filters have an effect, but if you buy good ones and not cheapo ones, they have far less of an effect.. and to me thats worth it for the peace of mind i have..

Steve
In my typical shooting I don't use them at all (UVs), however I rarely seem to go near a beach with the camera or the ocean much. Regardless of ones point of view, you raise a very good point about the effect and buying good ones.

...And maybe I need to head to the beach with my camera some more
02-24-2011, 03:08 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Something like this?
That's a lens hood, isn't it?
02-24-2011, 03:22 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Regarding the UV filter, I think the most important aspect in making the right choice is the flare resistance, and this will be down to the quality of the (multi)coatings. Here's an interesting thread illustrating this nicely:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/119919-weird-f...ro-lights.html

The above discussion seems to highlight the fact that the main problem is the lens's front element reflecting light back to the filter, which in turn reflects it back into the lens.

Thinking about this, it occurred to me that the best choice of filter would be one with multi-coating which reflected a colour which was different from that reflected by the lens's front element. For instance, most SMC lenses look rather green; if the filter were good at nulling out green, then this would seem to be the best choice. I always think Nikon multi-coating looks dull purple, so maybe a Nikon filter would give best results???

Of course, flare-resistance isn't the only problem. Here's what happens if you buy a really dodgy filter:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/124056-impact-...uv-filter.html

So, don't go too cheap when it comes to UV filters!
02-24-2011, 04:05 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
That's a lens hood, isn't it?
A 77mm filter with 49-77mm step-up ring. Twitch's post made me try and it looked kind of high-tech so I thought I snap a quick one with the Lumix and share. (Also, for one reason or another WB was off and trying to set it straight I started to feel that the background (still white, I cheked ) getting tinted like that also looked kind of cool, so what the heck ... ).
02-24-2011, 05:25 AM   #30

Has anyone used a Kenko filter? They are common here in Johannesburg. I've used a Kenko UV filter for scratch protection and tried it on and off in various conditions and thus far, have noticed no difference.

However, the Kenko CPL introduced an unacceptable purple colouration to light reflecting of the surface of a stream and spoiled the shots. It has been fine for general scenery but does not make a huge difference to sky and clouds, which is the reason I bought it.