Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jlaubza Quote
Has anyone used a Kenko filter? They are common here in Johannesburg. I've used a Kenko UV filter for scratch protection and tried it on and off in various conditions and thus far, have noticed no difference.

However, the Kenko CPL introduced an unacceptable purple colouration to light reflecting of the surface of a stream and spoiled the shots. It has been fine for general scenery but does not make a huge difference to sky and clouds, which is the reason I bought it.
We in Singapore use the Kenko Pro-1 Digital UV filter to protect our DA* lenses and they are good.

02-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jlaubza Quote
Has anyone used a Kenko filter? They are common here in Johannesburg. I've used a Kenko UV filter for scratch protection and tried it on and off in various conditions and thus far, have noticed no difference.

However, the Kenko CPL introduced an unacceptable purple colouration to light reflecting of the surface of a stream and spoiled the shots. It has been fine for general scenery but does not make a huge difference to sky and clouds, which is the reason I bought it.
I use Kenko Pro1Digital filters mainly, if I use a UV filter. They seem to be pretty good, except for a slight tendency for binding, especially in those plastic threads of some lenses... Nevertheless, despite their very good MC (after all, they are just Hoyas with a different packaging), they do produce additional flare and ghosting, if I shoot directly into lights or specular highlights. So, for night shots, indoors and whenever I have the sun or any other bright object in the field of view, I remove these filters.

As polarizers I prefer my old B+W one. I am not really decided about the colour cast of the Kenko CPL, I also have. It looks more coolish-green, but that is easily removed in pp. Nothing nearly as worse as the Cokin CPL!

Ben
02-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Kenko is manufactured by Hoya.
02-25-2011, 02:35 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Information overload!!
How can a simple question result in so much information?
THANK YOU to everyone who contributed.
This has been most informative: not only did I get recommendations for filter brands (which was what I was after initially) but whole lots of stuff to digest about the advisability of using filters at all.
This forum rules.

02-25-2011, 06:20 AM   #35
Inactive Account

Here's an example of an optical terrible uv filter:
02-25-2011, 07:03 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Think I'll conduct my own tests with UV filter vs. bare lens. Using cheapo Zeikos UV filters at the moment for lens protection.
02-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #37
Forum Member

Wow, thanks for linking those lenstip articles. I've read a lot of lenstip reviews but never knew they tested filters!

02-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #38

One brand not mentioned yet is Marumi. Great quality for less than the Germans. Lenstip tends to agree.
02-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #39
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Think I'll conduct my own tests with UV filter vs. bare lens. Using cheapo Zeikos UV filters at the moment for lens protection.
Ugh. Do you even need a test to show the effect of shooting with those on? I can understand using it as a lens cap, but that's about where it's usefulness ends.

QuoteOriginally posted by Skullsroad Quote
One brand not mentioned yet is Marumi. Great quality for less than the Germans. Lenstip tends to agree.
Indeed, they are great. I have some old ones, but they aren't coated so I have to be careful where I use them.
02-27-2011, 11:49 PM   #40

I do like B+W. They have both MRC UV filters and "Natural Clear" protection filters for the same price. It makes me wonder if they're actually the same even if their product descriptions are different.

I don't actually have any filters for the time being, having done a sell off, but I would like to grab a polarizer and maybe even a protection filter for adverse conditions. Better safe than sorry at such times when it comes to the Limited lenses.
02-28-2011, 04:15 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Skullsroad Quote
Hi
You beat me to it, I was going to suggest Marumi polarizers also. I have one for every lens size (5 in total). Used some Tiffen filters in the past (they are good) but I think Marumi are better.

Polarizing filters test - Marumi DHG Super Circular P.L.D 72 mm - Lenstip.com

Also, as to UV filters, I think they have no place for digital cameras any more. They are pushed hard by camera sales staff as an extra profit item after the camera sale is made. A big deal is made by them to convince unsuspecting customers of the benefit of lens protection. (After all lens protection can't be bad, can it.)

I have used cameras for 40 years and in the film days I certainly used UV filters (and they were needed) and I have NEVER scratched any of these filters, so why should I suddenly start using them on my DSLR ? If I have never scratched any filter so why then should I suddenly scratch lenses. Check any one who has used UVs on their lenses and see how many UVs are buggered.

When walking along the beach just put the lens cover on. Its not that you are constantly bombarded with sand like inside a sandblaster, wait for the right moment, take the lens cover off, take your shot and put it back on immediately after. That easy.

Any extra glass (no matter what the quality) added to the lens which the lens maker has not intended as part of the design is an extra piece of matter that can introduce reflections and through which light has to pass with unforeseen consequences.

Above opinion is based on personal experiences and not hearsay.

Greetings from sunny Melbourne
02-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #42

I have been using a cheap filter on my kit lens and most times I don't see any real problems except with the sun. Then the flare/glare/spots are nasty. I have a hood but need to find it. If I get the new 35 f.24 I don't think that comes with a hood so going bare would freak me out but I am convinced other than the beach....a necessity.

If I choose to go sans filter, what do I use to keep the lens clean? I have a rocket blower is that it? A certain type of lens cloth?
02-28-2011, 09:32 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Using a blower (or canned air w. precautions) first to chase off grit and then applying a microfiber cloth with a couple of drops of Eclipse lens fluid applied on the cloth (as opposed to directly on the glass) has worked pretty well for me.
02-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Corvairfan Quote
I have been using a cheap filter on my kit lens and most times I don't see any real problems except with the sun. Then the flare/glare/spots are nasty. I have a hood but need to find it. If I get the new 35 f.24 I don't think that comes with a hood so going bare would freak me out but I am convinced other than the beach....a necessity.

If I choose to go sans filter, what do I use to keep the lens clean? I have a rocket blower is that it? A certain type of lens cloth?
Always use the lens hood, it provides pretty good protection. If you see just "surface dust" on the lens, use the brush of a lens pen. (Lens pens are pretty good and safe) And here is a trick I have learned from an old pro; If what sticks on your lens appears to be more than just dust (perhaps a grain of sand ?) roll up a small piece of bread into a ball and gently press down on the offending matter and carefully lift it off without sideways movement. But I must be honest, I can not remember when last I had sand, or anything else that sticks so much on the lens, that I had to use this method. After that polish the lens with the carbon side of the lens pen. Trust me you won't have a problem.

(When using bread make sure it is free of salami or cheese!)
Just kidding !

03-01-2011, 12:28 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi
You beat me to it, I was going to suggest Marumi polarizers also. I have one for every lens size (5 in total). Used some Tiffen filters in the past (they are good) but I think Marumi are better.

Polarizing filters test - Marumi DHG Super Circular P.L.D 72 mm - Lenstip.com

Also, as to UV filters, I think they have no place for digital cameras any more. They are pushed hard by camera sales staff as an extra profit item after the camera sale is made. A big deal is made by them to convince unsuspecting customers of the benefit of lens protection. (After all lens protection can't be bad, can it.)

I have used cameras for 40 years and in the film days I certainly used UV filters (and they were needed) and I have NEVER scratched any of these filters, so why should I suddenly start using them on my DSLR ? If I have never scratched any filter so why then should I suddenly scratch lenses. Check any one who has used UVs on their lenses and see how many UVs are buggered.

When walking along the beach just put the lens cover on. Its not that you are constantly bombarded with sand like inside a sandblaster, wait for the right moment, take the lens cover off, take your shot and put it back on immediately after. That easy.

Any extra glass (no matter what the quality) added to the lens which the lens maker has not intended as part of the design is an extra piece of matter that can introduce reflections and through which light has to pass with unforeseen consequences.

Above opinion is based on personal experiences and not hearsay.

Melbourne is obviosly less windy than Perth then! i will guess its less sandy too... i even get sand in my camera bag when its on my back.. its a lowepro slingshot300... you dont want to know what it does to the skin!

but hey thats just Perth! and of course my opinion too.. hehe...

again.. no right or wrong just opinions and experiences!

Steve