Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I joined up

I've been lurking and posting a bit hear and there and have read a lot of good info here.

I've been kicking around what to get for a long time. I really wanted a K5, but I'm not willing to get one at this time until Pentax sorts through the issues and the pipeline has a better shot at being clean. I don't want to be sending the camera back and forth, I want to be shooting pictures.

In that vein, I decided the best option for me was a slightly used K20D. I figure in a year or two, I'll upgrade to the K5 or whatever. I also spent a lot of time looking at Full frame cameras. I'd like a full frame and one day may do what some have done and get into another system only for full frame and stay with Pentax on crop. For right now, I'm holding off on that front. I shoot mostly landscape, but like all kinds of photography and really like the IQ of the Pentax cameras and lenses.

Anyway, I can't wait until the K20D and FA31 show up. Excited to be a Pentaxian. Well, I guess I was before with my Optio E60 if that counts.

Ryan

02-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome. That will be a nice pair to get going with.
02-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome. Very nice start.

The FA31Ltd lives basically 100% of the time on my camera. Both wide enough and long enough for day-to-day work.

Till 2 weeks ago it was basically the only lens for my K5 and it does work; now added the DFA100WR for some tele.
02-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
Kai

What a pair! Welcome.

02-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
I've been lurking and posting a bit hear and there and have read a lot of good info here.

I've been kicking around what to get for a long time. I really wanted a K5, but I'm not willing to get one at this time until Pentax sorts through the issues and the pipeline has a better shot at being clean. I don't want to be sending the camera back and forth, I want to be shooting pictures.

In that vein, I decided the best option for me was a slightly used K20D. I figure in a year or two, I'll upgrade to the K5 or whatever. I also spent a lot of time looking at Full frame cameras. I'd like a full frame and one day may do what some have done and get into another system only for full frame and stay with Pentax on crop. For right now, I'm holding off on that front. I shoot mostly landscape, but like all kinds of photography and really like the IQ of the Pentax cameras and lenses.

Anyway, I can't wait until the K20D and FA31 show up. Excited to be a Pentaxian. Well, I guess I was before with my Optio E60 if that counts.

Ryan
Ryan:
Very nice couple. The 31mm LTD is a gem. The K20D is a good starter camera. Excellent combo. Good luck.
John
02-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I've been shooting a D5000 I bought for my wife before I knew anything about cameras. It's ok, but not the level of control I want and just the kit lens, which while not bad as kit lenses go, is no match for better glass. I've taken some nice photos with it, but looking forward to what I can do with the Pentax gear.

Any particulars I should check for as far as firmware revision or anything else?
02-27-2011, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got the camera and a couple pics

Got the camera yesterday. It's in excellent condition. I can't tell it was used. The shutter count is 4200 and change.

The manual is excellent. Did Pentax ship laminated manuals with the K20D? If not, the previous owner went to the work of laminating the covers and putting a spiral binding on it, which I would think means the person was one to take care of their gear

Looking forward to getting out and using it a bit more. It was cloudy most of the weekend, but the sun poked through today long enough to get a few shots.

Here are a couple of quick snaps

02-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Glad you got the camera & lens. Wish my owner's manual was laminated and spiral bound. I have the K20D also, and I actually downloaded a copy of the manual, printed it, used a 3-hole punch and put it in a binder. I did this so I could have the manual lying flat on my desk as I was going through each part of my camera. Made it easier for flipping from page to page. I also have an e-version of the one produced by Yvon Borque. Down side is, neither manual kept me from taking crappy shots!
03-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Sure looks like a nice combo, FA31 and K20. I know that you'll have good time with that. Welcome to forum.
03-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Great combo Ryan and you can see the quality right there with your first two shots .... you are going to have a ball !
03-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
Forum Member

Welcome, a fine combination you've chosen, I got the k5 and was very fortunate to get a problem free one (touch wood) and have broken the bank to pair it with the 31mm ltd.

I think you'll grow to love the 31ltd more and more as you use it more often, I can't get my head around it's crazy sharpness even wide open and it's brilliant bokeh - enjoy!
03-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vincechu Quote
I think you'll grow to love the 31ltd more and more as you use it more often, I can't get my head around it's crazy sharpness even wide open and it's brilliant bokeh - enjoy!
I'll definitely get to use it more often, as it's my only lens right now. The DA 15 is definitly on my list, but may do a WR zoom first such as the new 18-135. I feel I need at least one weather sealed lens. No real hurry as it will take me awhile to learn the ins and outs of the 31ltd

Ryan
03-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope you like your K20 as much as I like mine. The K20/31 Ltd is a wonderful combination. If someone went to the trouble of laminating and binding the manual, I would have to guess that they were very particular with their equipment.

Your pictures are excellent shots - have fun with the set.

03-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
I'll definitely get to use it more often, as it's my only lens right now. The DA 15 is definitly on my list, but may do a WR zoom first such as the new 18-135. I feel I need at least one weather sealed lens. No real hurry as it will take me awhile to learn the ins and outs of the 31ltd

Ryan
Hey ryan, the 31ltd is my main lens at the moment, the other is the 18-55wr kit lens. I'm also considering the DA15, i saw this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/86234-15mm-lim...s-my-mind.html and was sold on it right away. I am also considering the 18-135wr too, but the high price is really putting me off so I'm waiting for a few more reviews before buying.