Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cadmus Quote
Why would i not like that? I rarely use AF? I learned on a k1000. I miss my micro-prism. I insist on an aperture ring.

Ira, What do you mean by "appropriately capable lens"? What is ideal for Catch-in and why?

I was using a sigma from the <80's 50-200mm. It is totally manual. It was set to have a focal range from about 4' to 6' from the object lens. The idea was to have the camera unmanned with the button being held down with a rubberband. Then release the bug so it will fly into the plain of view, toward or slighly off angle from the camera. And the camera will snap the photo. I am a phd student in wildlife biology so i can think of several situation where i could use this on wild birds, bats, and small mammals or during the release of these critters that are more charismatic than insects. But throwing paper airplanes or even moving my arm in the correct path didn't trigger the camera. Am I expecting too much from this feature or is this idea possible?
I think you're expecting a bit too much from a feature on a consumer dslr.

CiF is mostly useful for things like focus bracketing. For example, set the camera to Continuous Hi - focus just beyond your intended focus point - hold down shutter release and slowly move the focus back through the focus range. One of the pictures is bound to have the correct focus. It's also useful when trying to handhold a macro shot.

02-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #17

Thanks, I'll give up on that idea then.

I guess if i ever get serious about it i will have to macgyver an external triggering device.

http://www.pixiq.com/article/camera-laser-trigger
http://lifehacker.com/#!5464485/build-a-high+speed-laser+triggered-photography-rig-to-capture-split-second-exposures
sound trigger, not what i need but cool article
http://www.diyphotography.net/diy_high_speed_photography_at_home

Last edited by cadmus; 03-27-2011 at 07:49 AM.
02-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
External triggering device...

Is that like a remote shutter release?

Or more like a wireless remote shutter release?
02-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
External triggering device...

Is that like a remote shutter release?

Or more like a wireless remote shutter release?
I think he's talking about a device that triggers the camera when an object (bat, bird, etc.) passes through a specific spot. Probably triggering powerful strobe lights to stop the motion as well.