Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #1

Catch in Focus

Has anyone tried repeated catch in focus using interval timing, would it work or is a lockable shutter release cable needed??

Mand

02-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you have to use AF-C, and it should keep taking pictures every time something comes into focus. There may be a particular mode you have to be in, but I definitely recall that this is the way it works.
02-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
I think you have to use AF-C, and it should keep taking pictures every time something comes into focus. There may be a particular mode you have to be in, but I definitely recall that this is the way it works.
Catch in focus only works if the camera is set to AF.A or AF.S and the shutter button has to be depressed completely. The lens has to be MF or have a MF/AF switch on the lens. If you want to use CiF with the camera unattended you will need a lockable shutter release.
02-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
Inactive Account

With the K5 you can make AF-C focus dependent but per the manual, CIF still only works with AF-S.

02-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I swear i read somewhere that you could do multiple shots with catch-in focus on the K-5, but i can't for the life of me find it now.
02-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
....If you want to use CiF with the camera unattended you will need a lockable shutter release.
A few rubber bands and an eraser off a pencil worked. it took my photo several times as i walked past, hands free.

I swear i read somewhere that you could do multiple shots with catch-in focus on the K-5, but i can't for the life of me find it now.
I was able to get multiple shoots on a k200d by using setting the drive to low or high continuous clicking ( FN then UP to get to the drive settings then continuous shooting. AFmode set to AF.s. Focus lever set to AF. Old manual lens. Autopic selected on the dial. Catch-in focus turned on). But i don't know if that is what you are all trying to do. Forgive me if i misunderstood.

Last edited by cadmus; 02-25-2011 at 06:48 AM.
02-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
Forum Member

As above:
I just tried this with my K200D and a manual focus lens. It works as long as I have the drive mode on continuous shooting (Hi) and the MF/AF lever to AF. I tried it just shooting at a dim light bulb so lo light not an issue. As I bring the camera in and out of focus the camera takes a shot every time it comes back in to focus. Other settings- catch in focus enabled and AF-S.

Only one problem.

My camera makes a racket(sounds a bit like a cross between grinding and frying) as long as I hold down the shutter release. Its a bit scary. I've never heard that before.
It's not the shake reduction as I had it off for the test.
Anybody experience this ?

Like the idea of the rubbers and eraser head gotta try hat.

Edit:

A
I also tried walking in and out of focus from near and far in a good lighting situation and got lots of shots of lil ol me with most actually in focus.

Last edited by uptheriver; 02-23-2011 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Additional info since first post
02-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have the K-x but on my K20, even with the SR turned off, the power is still applied to the "gyros" that provide input to the SR system. That input is just disregarded for the shot. So that is likely what you hear.

02-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
Forum Member

PVC Electrical tape and a small nut works well to hold down the shutter release too.
I suspect the electrical cable release may do just as well but have not tried as I have not made one up yet.
02-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
Forum Member

I tried it again with the camera bolted solid to the tripod and SR off. Still making the racket.
TAlking thru my hat here as I do not know the camera innards well but I would think that the gyro signal should be null if there is no shakin' goin' on ?
02-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe that is it. You use bulb mode and set the shutter button to down, then the shutter will activate every time something comes into focus. I will have to experiment a bit and report back
02-24-2011, 05:00 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe that is it. You use bulb mode and set the shutter button to down, then the shutter will activate every time something comes into focus. I will have to experiment a bit and report back
That won't work. Bulb mode will just be one long exposure.
02-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #13

slow reaction time on "catch-in" feature

I would like to pose a question about catch-in focus:
Is there anyway to speed up its reaction time? or decrease it's acceptable margin of error on what it considers "in focus"? or can it be made more sensitive?

It will shoot me when i walk real slow. It doesn't do a thing when i move fast or throw an object at it.

I am guessing the hopes of catching an object in flight is not going to be a reality?
The goal is in flight photos of bats, birds, and bugs.

any ideas?
02-25-2011, 07:35 AM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cadmus Quote
I would like to pose a question about catch-in focus:
Is there anyway to speed up its reaction time? or decrease it's acceptable margin of error on what it considers "in focus"? or can it be made more sensitive?

It will shoot me when i walk real slow. It doesn't do a thing when i move fast or throw an object at it.

I am guessing the hopes of catching an object in flight is not going to be a reality?
The goal is in flight photos of bats, birds, and bugs.

any ideas?
You're not gonna like this, but...

Manual focus with an appropriately capable lens, using Catch in.

You can turn your focus ring a lot faster than the AF motor moves.
02-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #15

Why would i not like that? I rarely use AF? I learned on a k1000. I miss my micro-prism. I insist on an aperture ring.

Ira, What do you mean by "appropriately capable lens"? What is ideal for Catch-in and why?

I was using a sigma from the <80's 50-200mm. It is totally manual. It was set to have a focal range from about 4' to 6' from the object lens. The idea was to have the camera unmanned with the button being held down with a rubberband. Then release the bug so it will fly into the plain of view, toward or slighly off angle from the camera. And the camera will snap the photo. I am a phd student in wildlife biology so i can think of several situation where i could use this on wild birds, bats, and small mammals or during the release of these critters that are more charismatic than insects. But throwing paper airplanes or even moving my arm in the correct path didn't trigger the camera. Am I expecting too much from this feature or is this idea possible?