Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #16
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by piesforyou Quote
I'm a k-x owner and I would say that there are a few things I would love to have in my k-x that the k-r has.
- Viewfinder AF points. If you want to use the 11 point autofocus, this is extremely handy. I always use centre point focus, re-compose because of this.
- The hi-res screen believe it or not is actually very useful for reviewing images, checking they are sharp, checking the right bit is in focus etc.
- I think i'm right in saying the K-r has a built in intervalometer function, something the k-x was supposed to have but they left out. I would love this.
- DFS can be turned off for longer exposures in bulb mode.
- AF - assist beam could be useful in some situations.
If I were in your boots I think I would probably stump up the extra dosh for the k-r.
As a K-x owner, I only agree with this about 10,000%.

02-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #17
Veteran Member

here's my take anyway

QuoteOriginally posted by elbronconegro Quote
I'm pretty sure the K-r is what I want, because I would like the option of using the AF points in the viewfinder, the higher max light sensitivity, the somewhat faster AF, and the 6fps burst capability. I do not care about the bigger screen (should I?).
AF points: if you haven't used them you will definitelly not feel the need for it. To me it is irrelevant because I (like many others) always choose the focus point beforehand.

continuous shooting: 4.7fps is plenty fast, I can't think of an application where 6fps would make a difference.

ISO: you will probably never use iso 25600 for practical reasons beyond testing it the first day you get the camera. same goes for iso 12800

screen: the size of the screen might not be a big difference but the quality is. not a deal breaker for me but it's something I appreciate and a convenience.

AF: this might be the biggest difference between the cameras. to me it's a non issue because I use mostly manual lenses but for many it is crucial, though I don't know how much of an improvement the K-r is on this subject.

Good luck, and buy a damn camera already
02-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
I recommend you just buy a camera already because you WILL NOT be disapointed with either choice and all these days without photography are far more costly than the subtle differences between these cameras
Came to post this. Coming from a P&S you will be more than happy with either camera. Personally I have a storm trooper k-x and I absolutely love it. You don't need to worry about the features as much as you are right now. If you don't need the 150 bucks desperately, get the k-r. But if money is tight, get the k-x, despite its (few) short-comings, it is still a superb camera.

My advice, get a k-x and spend the extra 150 bucks on some good M lenses on ebay.
02-28-2011, 01:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Well...If it is just to be published in standard size magazines at 300 dpi, there is no difference.

03-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #20

Original Poster
Thank you all for your input. I have a K-r on order- will hopefully be here on Monday...

Regards,
elbronconegro
03-06-2011, 05:19 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So does this mean you are selling your 645D on the marketplace soon?
03-06-2011, 06:02 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Whatever you get, remember to budget for a spare memory card or two, a spare battery (K-r) or a couple of sets of Enloops (K-x) and a bag to put it all in. I'd suggest getting the bag once you have the kit so you can make sure it fits in safely and you are comfortable carrying it. My bag has room for the manual as well.

If either lens comes without a lens hood get those as well - I believe you can get cheap copies of the Pentax ones on Ebay which are perfectly satisfactory. They reverse onto the lens for storage.

There are two schools of view about keeping a UV filter on the front of the camera to protect the lens (it ruins image quality, better than ruining the lens!) but if you decide to do that, the Hoya HMCs came out best in the Lentsip tests. That's not their bargain basement filter, but one level up.

Keep all the original packing, if you ever upgrade it helps sell the old kit.

If the HDD in your PC doesn't have much spare space you will be wanting another of those as well!