Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2011, 05:55 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Using a GX10 with DxO, and Adobe DNG problems

Hi, I guess it is OK to write about the Samsung GX10, which as we know is a K10D clone.

I recently bought DxO software to use with my K-X and have been quite blown away by the improvements DxO makes to the raw images, especially lens sharpness - I use a Tamron 18 - 250mm as my standard lens.

DxO is also excellent with noise reduction, especially Chroma noise on high iso K-X images e.g. anything from 1600 iso up.

But it is the lens sharpening function that has grabbed my attention - it is like using a new lens. Plus the software automatically undistorts the optical errors of the image, handles the vignetting problems at 18mm like a dream and kills purple fringing.

So I thought I'd run some of GX10 images through it but found that DxO does not produce a module to process GX10 images.

I have found a workaround which I'd like to share. I run my GX10 images through Hex Editor and change the very first reference in the hex file from ...GX10... to ...GX20. That's all it takes to get DxO to read my GX10 files. One can adjust colour as a preset in DxO and choose whichever camera type colour you like.

I'm really ecstatic about this software - it has given a new lease of life to the GX10 by sorting out the noise and banding problems with low light images and has ramped up the quality of my lenses. This is the part that has more than repaid the cost of the software.

One small fly in the ointment though - DxO does not process dng images produced by Adobe DNG converter but it does handle dng's straight out of the camera. This has been a let down as I previously converted a large number of PEF images to DNG to use with an old raw converter that was not handling the new Pentax PEF images from my K-X.

I'd like to read about other user's experience with DxO.

02-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think the only thing you can do with your files is top convert them into TIFF, which DxO will accept. Otherwise, what can I say? It's an exceptional piece of software, capable of turning the kit lens into some sort of *expensive* glass
02-25-2011, 12:48 AM   #3

Original Poster
using tiff files with DxO

Dear Causey, thanks for the tip. I tried this trick and indeed, DxO does read tif files but it loses the lens softness function and some others that only seem to work on the raw files. So it is back to PSE9 with ACFR 6.2 - not a bad combination but not as sophisticated as DxO.

I've written to them about the DNG problem but no reply after a few days.

DxO is for raw files and not worth using if one is processing jpegs or tifs - PSE is better for those files.
02-25-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
Forum Member

I for one am quite happy with what DxO does for my jpegs. It really is amazing indeed.
Have a great day
GP

02-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #5

Original Poster
JPGs in DxO - correcting my previous statement

Hi Uncle Dad, thanks for the response. Based on what yu said, I went back to look at what DxO can do with my jpegs and found that I could do lens function adjustments etc. My previous problem was that I was using jpegs taken with a Tamron 70-300mm lens, which is not supported by DxO, so the adjustments are very basic.

So I want to correct my previous statement about limited jpeg functionality - this true only if the lens is not supported

So all is OK but it's a bummer that they don't support all the popular third party lenses - looking at their list of supported cams/lens combo's, one can see the market bias towards Canikon.
02-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jlaubza Quote
So all is OK but it's a bummer that they don't support all the popular third party lenses - looking at their list of supported cams/lens combo's, one can see the market bias towards Canikon.
Yeah, it's a pity... If the Tammy 17-50mm were supported, and/or the Sigma 17-70mm and/or the Sigma 10-20mm... Still, I'm so satisfied what it does with the kit lens, I've decided not to invest in more expensive lenses (except for some primes, including the DA 40mm which will be supported soon).
Anyway, if you pass TIFF's through the program, you'll have a bit more leeway for making contrast and color adjustments.