Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2007, 11:37 PM   #1

Which DSLR mainly for B&W?

I am considering which DSLR to get for B&W shooting. Shoot raw and convert in ACR and Photoshop and print at least 11x14 or more. Among the new cameras:
Canon 40D
Nikon D300
Pentax k10d
Canon 5D
Olympus E3
I have no lenses to nudge me in a direction. Let me know if I should consider other models.
I am new to digital but have a lot of 35 B&W experience/shooting/darkroom.
What are the most important features and specs to consider for digital B&W?
Thanks.
Jonathan

10-17-2007, 11:57 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm.. Really want true B&W performance then get the Nikon D3 since the noise actually looks like film grain!!

But honestly, the K10D would probably be your best bet due to the great dynamic range one can get by shooting in RAW with it. Its 22bit really shines on those RAW files with loads of DR!!
10-18-2007, 02:37 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Hi Jonathan

I'm afraid I can't advise you far as the B&W aspect is concerned, but I've often heard that it's unwise to put average lenses in front of the Canon 5D's sensor ! I believe it's pretty merciless in revealing less than wonderful glass, so you will definitely require deep pockets to acquire lenses of sufficient optical quality to fully do it justice. Also note the dramatic price drop of Canon 5D's body, indicating that an imminent replacement is surely just around the corner......so watch this space !

Best regards
Richard
10-18-2007, 05:02 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I saw an article ina British mag that suggested that the Fuji S5 Pro was the best choice for black & white work. The extended dynamic range mode was shown to be a real asset for B&W work.