Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2007, 12:13 AM   #1

Pentax K110D

Hello there.

I own a 110D, I've been told these cameras are backwards compatible with older lense as long as they are not the screw mount, Is this True? If so, I want to get a 50mm Prime for my body, I know I'd have to deal with the 1.5x crop factor since it'd be a used film SLR lense, I cannot really afford a New AF lense, But getting a MF with the auto-aperture will work for me.

I do alot of portrait photography, What is the best lense for that though? I know the 50mm prime is, but what else? I would like to have something that's zoom, less so then a prime. But a prime is always nice to have.

Thanks!

10-18-2007, 01:25 AM   #2
baw

Old lenses

Ask around with family and friends. You may be surprised how many people have old Pentax cameras and lenses laying around (KX's or K1000's etc. were very popular)
Old lense will work, the ones with an A setting on the Aperture ring are easy to use.
Of course allways manual focus.

For portrait photography you decide what you like.
10-18-2007, 01:55 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Old lenses

If you stick to the A series lenses you can use all the auto exposure modes.

You can also use the M and earlier "K" series lenses, but these will require a one-off change in menu setting, and of course manual exposure.

You can also use the older M42 screw mount lenses with an adapter.

A 50mm lense will have the equivalent field of view as a 75mm would have on film so would make an excellent portrait lens.

Have a look here for information on older K mount lenses Pentax K-Mount Lenses and Lens Accessories
10-18-2007, 02:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Penten50mm Quote
Hello there.

I own a 110D, I've been told these cameras are backwards compatible with older lense as long as they are not the screw mount, Is this True? If so, I want to get a 50mm Prime for my body, I know I'd have to deal with the 1.5x crop factor since it'd be a used film SLR lense, I cannot really afford a New AF lense, But getting a MF with the auto-aperture will work for me.

I do alot of portrait photography, What is the best lense for that though? I know the 50mm prime is, but what else? I would like to have something that's zoom, less so then a prime. But a prime is always nice to have.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, used Pentax glass is not as inexpensive as it once was. Lots of demand has inflated the prices. A used A50 f1.4 will cost almost as much as a new FA50 f1.4. None the less an A50 f1.4 or f1.7 is a good place to start for a portrait lens. Depending on you working style, any focal length from 50 to about 100mm or so will make a good portrait FL. M series lenses are a bit more plentiful, and less expensive.

As to a zoom, one of the real bargains is the A35-105 f3.5. This lens is extremely good. It is sharp, contrasty, and good color rendition. Built like a tank also. The down side is it is heavy. You should be able to pick one up for less than $150.00 or so.

10-18-2007, 03:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Check this site: The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Screwmount lenses can also be used with an adapter. T-mount lenses can also be used with an adapter.

QuoteOriginally posted by Penten50mm Quote
I know I'd have to deal with the 1.5x crop factor since it'd be a used film SLR lense,
The crop factor is a function of sensor size compared to 35mm film, it has nothing to do with the the type of lens used. Focal length is focal length. Field of view is field of view. I wouldn't worry about "effective focal length" or "equivalent field of view" unless you have a strong background in 35mm cameras or currently shoot with a variety of digital cameras that have different sensor sizes.
04-10-2010, 06:40 AM   #6

K110d

I can honestly say that the year i have spent with my k110d has been wonderful. Its been the best camera i have owned. I use it as my backup now that i purchased my K-x I absolutely love the pentax line and will recommend their products to anyone.
04-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How did you find a thread that is over 2 years old

04-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I wonder if he is still using his K110D or he has moved on to other models.
Shows only a post of two, so maybe he isn't even active anymore in these forums?
04-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It is quite amusing seeing over a year old threads being bumped due to the contest.
04-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
It is quite amusing seeing over a year old threads being bumped due to the contest.
Even so, if the reply is rather informative, then why not.
We always see the "something inside my new camera is making a clunk or noise thing" anyway and it was since the K1XXD's that the SR was introduced and that question is still being asked then up till now..