Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I upgraded from k100d to k20d in november via the woot refurbished k20d with kit lens deal. 505$ shipped, sold the kit lens for like 90$ on here since I had one already.

so, 415$ for perfect condition k20d with 90 day warranty. didn't sell the k100d, but could probably get 150-200$ for that which would make the net on the k20d even lower.

it was a HUGE upgrade. so much to play with, so much more camera, really worth it.

If money is a concern I would do the k20d. woot runs that deal every once in a while and the new/refurbished seems better than used to me.

I figure I will buy a refurb k7 or k5 in a couple years for a similar price.

I may be 2 years behind the technology, but it seems like I am always getting a new camera so I really dig it.

Also, I see deals for the KR with kit lenses pretty cheap via and such all the time. So if you absolutely have to have a newer camera that may be viable choice as well.

But, to the main point, if you were to go from k100d to k20d you would not be disappointed, I have had mine since November and I haven't even come close to figuring out everything it can do...

The AF is faster and better than the k100d, the camera seems to work better with my metz flash, has a primitive live view, handling is better with all the extra dials and such. higher ISO is better--but lower may not be as good as the k100d (or maybe it is just that the sensor on the k100d looks "creamier" because it offers less resolution?)

Last edited by steveeboy; 03-05-2011 at 09:50 AM.
03-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I am still contemplating a K-7 (mostly) and have contacted a couple of the forum members on bodies for sale in the marketplace. The used K20D prices are in the noise level compared to K-7. I think that the weather sealed K-7 and other controls interest me over the Kx, though it's high ISO performance is interesting.

I agree with RicoRio and UnknownVT, but what the heart wants the head says I cannot do right now. Even though I'll keep and use it for a long time & the price will become moot in the end, it is still a cash flow issue. I've reviewed the K5/K7 iso thread (the images of the 645 still life) and the K5 sports images thread. If I tilt over to a K5 it will mean living with my K100D until the prices come down more.

Or, maybe I can wait until some of the repaired K-5 stained sensor refurbs show up on Woot (my K100D was a factory refurb from Woot!)

I know that any k-7, Kr, Kx or K20D would be a major step forward in a lot of areas from my current body. Everyone's input has been helpful and appreciated. Certainly the longer I sit on the fence the close I may get to k-5 prices being where I can afford it.

As far as my Nikkor glass, I'll keep it all for now. The FE just got sold, but I cannot part with the F3 yet and still pull it out and blow out a roll or two for fun. Though with that said, I've not looked to see what an F3HP with an MD4 motor drive has for a street price right now, maybe that would tip me now! Last I looked the street price was less than the camera is still worth to me.

Have a great weekend, I've had enough fun here at work. I'm going home to tip a cold one!

Cheers,
Tom