Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tcom Quote
The Jobo has no preview screen. I suppose it does just transfer the whole content of a memory card to a newly created folder each time the "copy" button is pressed. So the presence of JPG, PEF or DNG on the memory card should not be relevant, but I will test it tomorrow.

So far, I am shooting PEFs with the K10D, simply because they are smaller than the DNGs and convert these PEFs using Pentax Photo Lab 3.
Well, you piqued my interest and I headed over to the B&H website to see what is available. You're right, the Jobo does not have a review screen. That makes it like my old Wolverine. If your Jobo works like my Wolverine, it creates a new folder every time you press the 'copy' button. So, it is possible to make multiple copies of each SD card.

Would be nice to have a review screen, but they are expensive. The Epson looks like a nice unit. But first, with every model from every manufacturer, would have to check specs first to see if they support Pentax PEF files. Doubtful right now, seeing as the camera/format is still fairly new. Heck, most of the world hasn't even gotten them yet.

12-12-2006, 02:57 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
On the other hand, the lack of a preview screen allows a longer battery life time and there is nothing to worry about if the device support the RAW formats.
12-12-2006, 09:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Hi all

Before having the K10D, I used to shoot in JPG. On holidays I just took enough memory cards for all photos. I usually shoot during holidays about 500-600 photos per week.

Now with the K10D, I started to shoot in RAW. RAW files use much more space. So what are you doing when traveling?

- use a lot of memory cards ?
- use a laptop ?
- sort out the photos on the DSLR screen ?
- ...?
When on holidays in Europe 6 months ago I used 1 x 2Gb CF card, 1 x 1Gb CF card and 2 x 512Mb CF cards with my *ist D. Each night I was away, I would use my portable Apacer CD burner and burn the RAW images onto them. I think I used to get about 50 images per CD. I took about 20 CD's away with me so I had enough to burn to. CD's can take up a bit of space in your luggage, so an Epson P-2000 maybe a better option, but it won't be able to view K10D files yet, I do not think.
The D has smaller files than my new K10D has, about 13Mb vs 16Mb. I now have 2 x 2Gb cards for the K10D and will probably get more when I go on holidays.
12-12-2006, 10:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Curious twist...

Time for the monkey wrench; the fly in the ointment or some such...

Y'all know you cannot 'see' PEFs, right??? Or for that matter any RAW format file??? RAW files from CCD based cameras only contain 1/3 of the image data; the other 2/3 is constructed mathematically by the RAW converter software.

What you're looking at with unit's like the Flashtrax and the Epson Pn000 is the embedded JPEG thumbnail from the RAW file. These units cannot convert RAW files. (White Balance and proper exposure come around again for a little bite!)

But they typically do a good job of storing just about any type of file--like any USB harddrive device-which is fundamentally what they are. The viewers typically play both music and some video codecs faily well too.

In the case of the Flashtrax the little preview of the image, visible when selecting files from the photo list or the file list, might also only show the upper left corner of approximately 75 by 75 pixels. The full screen view will be the full embedded JPEG.

12-13-2006, 04:25 AM   #20

So far, I am shooting PEFs with the K10D, simply because they are smaller than the DNGs and convert these PEFs using Pentax Photo Lab 3.
That's odd. I seem to get smaller DNG than PEF with my K10D.

I tested burst mode; I get 12 DNG in a burst, then it slows down to maybe two every three seconds. But I only get 9or 10 PEF's.
12-13-2006, 06:02 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dana G Quote
That's odd. I seem to get smaller DNG than PEF with my K10D.

I tested burst mode; I get 12 DNG in a burst, then it slows down to maybe two every three seconds. But I only get 9or 10 PEF's.
IIRC, my PEFs are between 9 and 12Mb, but the DNGs are around 16Mb.
12-13-2006, 11:06 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Previews

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote

What you're looking at with unit's like the Flashtrax and the Epson Pn000 is the embedded JPEG thumbnail from the RAW file. These units cannot convert RAW files. (White Balance and proper exposure come around again for a little bite!)

True, but the thumbnail does give some indication of what the final image will look like, so I find it useful for viewing back in the hotel.

The version of Flashtrax that I use is the Phototainer. The firmware was updated in Feb 2004 to know where to find the thumbnail in PEFs produced by the istD. But the last update was in June 2004 and I seriously doubt that there will be another.

It won't display DNGs and I don't know yet, whether the PEFs from the K10D will display (interestingly, compressed PEFs from the istDS display). There would always be the option of RAW + JPEG if I really wanted to browse what I had taken. In any event, it will store the images for viewing at home.

dave
12-20-2006, 04:44 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dave kitson Quote

It won't display DNGs and I don't know yet, whether the PEFs from the K10D will display
The Phototainer does display the thumbnails from K10D PEFs.. a nice bonus...

dave

12-20-2006, 05:06 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I don't normally take a lot of photos, I also delete a lot on site.. So normal days out I have a 1gb card and a 512mb card.. If I am doing RAW and fill the 1gb (not done often though), I will put in the 512mb and switch to JPEG.. I used to have a 2gb card but it died..

On holiday I take my laptop in general.. But for emergency I have a digimate II and 30GB HDD... It can't preview photos but it saves me if I fill both cards up, and it was pretty cheap..
12-20-2006, 05:12 AM   #25
Veteran Member

A portable hardisk is very cheap nowadays 120 gigabytes each. Even a USB stick can load up to 8 gigabytes now - light weighted as well. I often stored the shots in the usb disk and i got a couple of them. 70 US dollar for 8 gigabytes USB stick at present. Cheap
12-20-2006, 05:31 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Any form of storage is better than having all the files on your main drive. I have, and use an external 300gig external Sea gate HD. and I have redesigned my internal set up to an 80gig main HD with a 300 gig slave. my main HD. is for programs and OS only where I have reconfigured both slave and external to storage only. The external is redundant, being one HD I can remove quickly if anything happens to the computer. This HD as well as my slave of 300gig is automatically updated every time I change or add a PEF or change any picture file.

Storage is cheep and external storage is a must have when your files get bigger and space on your main gets cluttered. Storing any picture files on a DVD or CD will cost you more in the long run and these forms of storage are easily damaged Protect all your valuable files and feel safer all the way around.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
12-20-2006, 09:20 AM   #27

Is the Pentax software worth installing? What features do you use?

I have access to Photoshop CS.

QuoteOriginally posted by larugl Quote
I haven't started using RAW with the K10D (but did with my DS) - I'm wondering if I need to install Pentax software?

Currently, I'm using Photoshop Elements 5.0 on Windows...

Glad for any help and advice you may be able to offer.
12-20-2006, 09:53 AM   #28
Forum Member

I have the jobo type photobank, bought it off ebay, casing only for USD30 (shipped from HongKong). I threw in my old 20GB laptop harddrive (2.5in,9.5mm) and it works like charm. HD is pretty cheap if you buy in separately... The USB Drive PhotoBank has no preview screen, but had multicard reader and run on internal rechargeable battery. The file transfer is pretty fast too...

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Well, you piqued my interest and I headed over to the B&H website to see what is available. You're right, the Jobo does not have a review screen. That makes it like my old Wolverine. If your Jobo works like my Wolverine, it creates a new folder every time you press the 'copy' button. So, it is possible to make multiple copies of each SD card.

Would be nice to have a review screen, but they are expensive. The Epson looks like a nice unit. But first, with every model from every manufacturer, would have to check specs first to see if they support Pentax PEF files. Doubtful right now, seeing as the camera/format is still fairly new. Heck, most of the world hasn't even gotten them yet.
12-20-2006, 10:41 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I carry 3 1GB cards in my day bag. I've never filled all three from RAW shooting. On travel, I upload to my laptop every evening and back up the hard drive to a small portable external drive immediately thereafter. The portable goes in my stowed baggage and the laptop in my backpack. If I didn't carry my laptop.... well that's a pointless discussion since my laptop goes with me wherever I go.

-E
12-20-2006, 11:35 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I have a Roadstor something or other. It copies from card to CD. Kinda slow, use it a the end of the day. I like this strategy because it gives me a archiveable backup even when I'm back at home.