Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2007, 07:07 AM   #1

Warranty card

I just bought a K10D on Ebay from a well-rated seller. It is advertised as "Latest model with full Pentax USA warranty." Should it come with a warranty card or some sort of warranty registration card?

10-18-2007, 07:33 AM   #2

I think that when you complete the registration process, you are essentially establishing the warrenty for your camera.......................

FLASH
10-18-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

K10D Warranty Card

My K10D came from B & H. It did contain a warranty card, but I chose to do the online warranty registration, instead.

Presumably, Pentax can recognize the serial number and determine if it is a US version or a grey market import. I don't think that they would accept the serial number of an import.

I have heard of some kits that were legitimate US versions, that did not have a warranty card in the box.

If you're concerned, don't even open the box. I'm not at home right now, but, IIRC, the serial number is recorded on the bottom of the box, along with the UPC code. If its not, open the box just enough to get the s/n from the camera. Then call Pentax in Colorado and ask them. If it is a grey market camera, return it immediately.

It is my understanding (I could be wrong), that Pentax in Colo. will not touch a grey market camera, even if you're willing to pay for parts and labor, so warranty repairs must be sent to Europe or worse, Japan.

Truely reputable dealers like B & H will identify clearly that the item in question is grey market. B & H even includes a warranty of their own that matches the factory warranty. I've never seen them list a grey market Pentax, though.

Paul Noble
10-18-2007, 04:21 PM   #4

Original Poster
I called Pentax in Colorado. They cannot tell if the camera is "gray market" from the serial number (they say they tell by looking at it for certain features???). But they do have a listing of authorized dealers on their web site.

There is supposed to be a card in the box with every VALID camera.

Pentax says this on their web page:
QuoteQuote:
PENTAX products originally distributed by PENTAX Imaging Company, 600 12th Street, Suite 300, Golden, Colorado 80401, have a limited One Year Warranty starting from the date of purchase. * * * This warranty only applies to PENTAX photographic equipment originally distributed in the United States by PENTAX Imaging Company, 600 12th Street, Suite 300, Golden, Colorado 80401. Make sure that the PENTAX product you are purchasing has a Product Registration Card issued by PENTAX.

10-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

This issue has been discussed in this forum several times before. I purchased a K10D from a store listed on the Pentax USA website and the box did not come with a warranty card. It came with a serial number card, but not a warranty card. According to a call to Pentax USA, this is not abnormal.

After some research into obtaining an International Warranty Card to use with the Pentax Worldwide Service Network (different than the normal warranty), I learned that the domestic warranty is established by a purchase receipt from any ligitimate source listing the date of purchase, not a warranty card.

When asked what a "ligitimate source" was, I was told that the receipt had to come from a believable source such as a ligitimate store as opposed to something just printed with a home computer. When questioned further, I was told to simply register the camera online, which would firmly fix a purchase date. It appears firmly fixing a purchase date is the company's main concern in this regard.

stewart
10-18-2007, 09:10 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
I was told to simply register the camera online, which would firmly fix a purchase date.
The seller fax'ed me a copy of his shipping document from Dell (which establishes the purchase and the date) so I was able to register it online.