Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2007, 10:14 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K10D rebate

Hope this isn't a repost, but damn you Americans, why can't Europe get a share of the pie!

The K10D w/ kit lens is not @ 649,99 (100$ rebate) at adorama.. valid to Jan 08!

I'm sending an mail to Pentax in Europe to ask this question!

10-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jth Quote
The K10D w/ kit lens is not @ 649,99 (100$ rebate) at adorama.. valid to Jan 08!
USA does a lot of business by rebates - they're banking the money first and working on drop outs in rebate claims - many mess up their rebates so get disqualified, not bother, or forget to do the rebate -

Some seem to even take the tactic of only honoring/sending rebates for people who persist/chase them (note: I am not saying Pentax is one of these)

Details of the this current rebate - started today - Oct/18 and valid until Jan/31/2008 -

cropped from Download "BRIGHTEN YOUR HOLIDAYS DSLR" Rebate Coupon

Notice that there is no rebate for the K100D (non-Super),
and the rebate ($25) for the excellent DA 50-200mm Zoom has to be purchased at the same time as the K10D or K100D Super (kit)

Last edited by UnknownVT; 10-18-2007 at 10:00 PM. Reason: correction re: no body only rebate.
10-18-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
jth
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Where I'm from (Iceland) we have to pay ~1700USD for the K10D with the kit lens
10-18-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Then I wonder.... for that money, have they localized the K10D menus and manual to Icelandic?

Nah, to small a country, they probably think you guys speak Swedish or something. How do they compensate that ridiculous price? The Icelandic kits come with the new DA* 18-50 lens?

- Bert

10-18-2007, 10:59 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Hope this isn't a repost, but damn you Americans, why can't Europe get a share of the pie!

I'm sending an mail to Pentax in Europe to ask this question!

For something they call it the land of opportunities.

Now, don't you Europeans Have a way to buy from of shore without traveling. I am from Latin America and buy a lot from US using a courier service. Of course, sometimes those duty guys are merciless.
10-18-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
jth
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Then I wonder.... for that money, have they localized the K10D menus and manual to Icelandic?

Nah, to small a country, they probably think you guys speak Swedish or something. How do they compensate that ridiculous price? The Icelandic kits come with the new DA* 18-50 lens?

- Bert
The pricing comes from.. well.. a mix of taxes and.. good old fashioned bending down and getting it up the ..

QuoteOriginally posted by Zeol1 Quote
For something they call it the land of opportunities.

Now, don't you Europeans Have a way to buy from of shore without traveling. I am from Latin America and buy a lot from US using a courier service. Of course, sometimes those duty guys are merciless.
Yeah, the currency is very strong against the Dollar, euro and pound, but no, retailers don't find the need to lower prices here according to the currency(They raise the price when the currency get's weaker ofcorse)

And yeah, if I buy the camera from Adorama it's 749 + 56(shipping) and with UPS fee and taxes it comes to about 1000USD.

That's 700USD cheaper for the regular Joe to purchase it from a retailer in USA rather one from Iceland
10-18-2007, 11:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yikes!

The current low shipped price for the K10D kit with 18-55mm Zoom BEFORE rebate ($100) found by PriceGrabber.com are - $729.85, $729.95, $729.95 (links to the vendors)

Pentax K100D Super kit shipped price BEFORE rebate ($100) - found using PriceScan.com - $534.95 and $535.95 (links to the vendors)

DA 50-200mm Zoom - price BEFORE rebate ($25 - only if purchased at the same time as dSLR kit) - found using PriceGrabber.com - $232.98 and $236.95 (links to the vendors)

The K100D (non-Super) does NOT have a rebate - but to compare in kit form with same 18-55mm Zoom - shipped prices found using PriceGrabber.com - $455.95 and $455.98 (links to the vendors).

disclaimer - I gave the vendor links as examples, and not meant to be an endorsement, although they do seem to be well rated.

10-18-2007, 11:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm glad I purchased my K10D in August. Although the rebate for the body/kit was only $25, the rebate for the 50-200mm was $100 when purchased with the K10D. Also, I got rebates for the grip and the 50mm f/1.4 (this last item isn't rebated anymore!).

However, now would seem like the best time for current Pentax users with lenses to upgrade their body.
10-18-2007, 12:56 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oddly, B&H has the rebate listed on their body only. Didn't that last rebate use wordage that actually mentioned the lens? It could mean that the word "kit" is being used differently here. Wish I knew. I just returned a K10D to the store because the rebate started a few days after I purchased it. I already have one so I am not without, but if I get a second I would like to save a few bucks.
10-18-2007, 02:57 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Oddly, B&H has the rebate listed on their body only. Didn't that last rebate use wordage that actually mentioned the lens? It could mean that the word "kit" is being used differently here. Wish I knew. I just returned a K10D to the store because the rebate started a few days after I purchased it. I already have one so I am not without, but if I get a second I would like to save a few bucks.
i am quoting this from jerkules at DPreview:

Upon review of the rebate form it appears that you can get the rebate on the body only. The rebate specifies the model number for the K100d Super as 19156, which is the model number for the body only. If you look at the specifications for "the Super" on pentaximaging.com they call the body only configuration (19156) the kit. The model number with the lens kit is 19157.

Here is the link:

So where are they? Rebates that is.......... [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
10-18-2007, 04:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I've read the rebate form in detail. You *will* get the rebate if you buy the kit, but you must send the UPC of the box that contains the body, not the one on the large (kit) box that contains both the body and lens.

This is the same situation as for the previous rebate, where they also specified that you send the UPC of the body if you were buying the kit.
10-18-2007, 06:48 PM   #12
Inactive Account

still not very clear about this. Is the rebate for the K10D+kit lens or is it for BOdy only too? I'm thinking of getting a K10d body only but not gonna jump until I'm clear about this.
10-18-2007, 07:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Quote
still not very clear about this. Is the rebate for the K10D+kit lens or is it for BOdy only too? I'm thinking of getting a K10d body only but not gonna jump until I'm clear about this.
The rebate is for the body. It doesn't matter if the body is purchased alone or as part of the kit.
10-18-2007, 10:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
The rebate is for the body. It doesn't matter if the body is purchased alone or as part of the kit.
I think this is correct
although the rebate coupon had me confused -

made me think this was for the kit(s) only -
BUT this -

seems to show it is for the BODY
(just like for the previous rebates -
but that also made me suspicious that this might be a mis-carryover from the previous rebate form)

So I did a bit more checking against the product codes in the form - ie:

K10D = 19091
K100D Super = 19156

both of these Product Codes are for the BODY.
10-19-2007, 07:46 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Quote
I phoned the Pentax rebate center and they said that you can get the rebate on body only BUT you must send in a primary UPC and secondary. Whatever. Anyhow, he said that you can cut out the example UPC from the manual and send it in and qualify for the rebate. That is what I am doing. Seems pretty esoteric but I am willing to jump through the hoops. It doesn't hurt to phone and ask questions before sending the rebate form in.