Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2007, 04:26 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I can say LR is for photographers while PS is for graphic artists.
I find LR is quite good.

10-20-2007, 07:24 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
It depends.

If you shoot a lot of photos: yes!
If most of the PP you do is related to fixing lighting and colour: yes!
If you are looking for something that helps you organize your many photos: yes!
If you think PS is too slow: yes!

If you are not making that many shots: Stay with CS2
If you are a PS artist: No way!
If this investment will prevent you from buying a nice piece of glass: Don't do it!

- Bert
Bert
Thank you so very much!!..I downloaded the trial version and will install it and if I like it, I will fork out the dough..Thanks again..
10-20-2007, 07:45 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NYpHoToGraphEr Quote
I am so dumb sometimes i missed it the first 300 times thanks guys
Something I've found helpful is to download the camera manual in pdf form. Then you can use the search function to find what you want.
10-20-2007, 07:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atnbirdie Quote
When in doubt about camera functions, try the manual. You'll be surprised what you find there.
atnbirdie for president!!
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Something I've found helpful is to download the camera manual in pdf form. Then you can use the search function to find what you want.
Indexes do that pretty well too...

10-20-2007, 07:48 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not Again!!

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
The first shot, of course, is not the RAW image. It's a JPEG, since browsers can't render RAW file formats to my knowledge. Presumably it's the unedited shot, reduced to 800px wide, and saved somehow as JPEG.

But even in the file that ends up at the browser, there's tons of information available. There would have been even more in any original JPEG.

Here is an edited version of the first JPEG:

So there's obviously enough information, even in the (presumably reduced size) JPEG that you posted, to recover the shot. All I did was boost the shadows, cut the highlights and then increase the brightness slightly,finishing off with a touch of USM.
Gentlemen,

Let's NOT start to try to convince this chap NOT to shoot RAW.
We have had the RAW vs JPEG discussion numerous times on this forum.

What we have seen is that in the majority of cases there is very little difference that can be seen by the human eye. Nevertheless, RAW files do have much better dynanic range which does show up and can help you with recovering dark and light areas.

Despite Chris his efforts.
Sorry Chris, despite your efforts, there is more to gain from RAW than from JPEG. See other treaths, where I've demonstrated the different results.
And I would not have sharpened the picture as much as you did.

- Bert
10-20-2007, 08:22 AM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
atnbirdie for president!!
Indexes do that pretty well too...
Just not nearly as well, indexes are limited in their referencing
I also find that it's usually easier to find my computer than my manuals
10-24-2007, 10:06 AM   #22
and
Veteran Member

I think a nice way to bring the k10d raw vs jpeg discussion back to reality is to post links to the dpr canon 40d review. compare how the k10d does in jpeg mode vs raw

of course those are default jpegs so they also contribute in showing how poor the default jpegs are. but the difference is really night and day.

jpeg
Canon EOS 40D Review: 24. Compared to...: Digital Photography Review

raw
Canon EOS 40D Review: 26. Compared to...: Digital Photography Review

we can round it off with this quote from the review:
"There isn't a single camera on the market which gains so much by shooting RAW and using Adobe Camera RAW to convert its images than the K10D. The difference is night and day and indeed the K10D in this comparison trumps the EOS 40D for detail"
10-24-2007, 11:46 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
I think a nice way to bring the k10d raw vs jpeg discussion back to reality is to post links to the dpr canon 40d review. compare how the k10d does in jpeg mode vs raw

of course those are default jpegs so they also contribute in showing how poor the default jpegs are. but the difference is really night and day.

jpeg
Canon EOS 40D Review: 24. Compared to...: Digital Photography Review

raw
Canon EOS 40D Review: 26. Compared to...: Digital Photography Review

we can round it off with this quote from the review:
"There isn't a single camera on the market which gains so much by shooting RAW and using Adobe Camera RAW to convert its images than the K10D. The difference is night and day and indeed the K10D in this comparison trumps the EOS 40D for detail"
Thanks And for pointing us out to this dpr comparison. It clearly shows no need to switch to the 40D when shooting RAW. Except, perhaps, if you want to tap in to a larger available portfolio of lenses....

- Bert