Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Not sure why the zoom would go away. . . I think the clock is just letting you know that the auto poweroff is active.

03-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't have access to another camera

As I said earlier, I used a Metz 48 from another forumer on my camera on Sunday and had absolutely no issues with it.

When the flash isn't affixed to my camera, it still shows the same options as it does on camera. I've been reading the instruction manual and my flash unit doesn't seem to be showing options like it does in the manual? Eg When I press the select button, all it will show me is the ev and the number choices for ev, it doesn't show me other modes like ML or Ch etc.
03-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dumb question, but ... it's definitely a Pentax/Samsung version?

Richard.
03-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #19

Select is pressing both + and - at the same time.

03-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Dumb question, but ... it's definitely a Pentax/Samsung version?

Richard.
oo- good one. Should say it just above the shoe.
03-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Nicole, try press the 2 buttons in the middle simutaneously for choosing between the modes, it's a quirk that got to most new owners...
03-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #22
Veteran Member

That was the post I was thinking of when I suggested you put your flash on another camera. Don't know what your proximity is to the forum member you were speaking of. I just dug my 48 out of my bag and I'm waiting for some batteries to recharge so I can take a look at it and see if I can help you out. I haven't used mine for a while and since I bought the 58, I use it more often, so I'm not remembering the 48 clearly. After I've taken a look to refresh my memory, I'll post back if I have any useful thoughts.

Best,
Kevin

03-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep, it says Pen/Sam on the bottom of the back of the flash.

Ah ok Mark, well that clears that bit up. But still no pTTL mode.
03-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #24

Hmm. I tried most all the settings I could and couldn't get it to NOT do PTTL. Sorry, and good luck! I'm out of ideas. :-(
03-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It says in the manual to press Mode until pTTL flashes in the display. It doesn't show that, I only get the options of M TTL or Sb. It also isn't reading that I have a 50mm lens on, I thought it would do that?
03-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #26
Veteran Member

This all sound a bit weired, sounds like the flash is not communicating with the body(PTTL) and only flash in full power...

I don't have mine handy at the moment but will definately have a look at it tonight
03-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Eric, that would be really good if you could.
03-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Auto zoom needs to be enabled, try that. I think as soon as you use the flash in TTL mode it will then realise you dont have a TTL camera and display pTTL instead, there isn't a separate setting for pTTL and TTL in the menus. The "mm" is meant to be in 35mm equivalent but it seems to only work for my DA lenses, the FA makes the flash read 35mm for my 31mm lens. No big deal.

For the "mm" to be displayed (and therefore the flash zoom to be set according to your focal length), the head must be locked down in straight ahead position. As soon as you tilt it will actually zoom out (although dont think it displays that on the LCD).
03-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Put some freshly charged batteries in the Metz 48 and mounted it on my K10D. I got lucky and P TTL came right up. Then I shut the flash and camera off, removed it from the camera, and then remounted it. Camera was in AV mode. Half clicked the shutter and no P TTL. Changed the mode dial on the K10D to X (flash sync), half clicked the shutter and P TTL was back and remained when I returned to AV mode. You may want to try changing your mode dial and see if you have better luck with X or P modes.

Really hope things work out for you with the Metz 48. I've been happy with mine and its big brother the 58.

Best,
Kevin
03-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, I read the manual and tried to reset it to auto zoom. It says to keep pressing even after reaching max 105mm and the m zoom changes to zoom. I have done that and it still reads as being 105mm.

I had the head straight ahead and there is still no p-ttl mode and still everything is overexposed.

Last edited by NicoleAu; 03-01-2011 at 08:49 PM.