Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-04-2011, 02:50 AM   #31
Veteran Member

I think what you are probably noticing in the marketplace with the K-7's for sale is just normal attrition. People buy shit, they sell shit...some people buy shit and keep it, regardless of what DXO tells us we are supposed to believe. If you can make wonderful photos with the K-5/10/20/ etc, you can also with the K-7. Forums are great for comparing ideas and helping with some things, but also a breeding ground for anal retentive number crunching pixel-dweebs who spend their time measurbating than they do putting themselves in real world shooting situations. Those who do put themselves out there in real world situations usually are too busy and too satisfied to care.

Jason

03-04-2011, 05:16 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K7 launched at a price point of 1300 dollars (more or less). It was an improvement from the K20 in significant ways: faster autofocus, quieter shutter, video, live view that was actually useable, double fps, and it was sold with weather sealed kits. The problem that it had at launch time was first of all, the K20 had dropped to 600 dollars, making the K7 look over priced in comparison and secondly, the sensor did not improve on K20 high iso capabilities, it only added features like video (fairly unimportant to the majority of photographers on the forum here). The final straw was that the kx came out soon after and had better than a stop improvement in high iso on the K7, while selling for less than half the price.

The K7 is a great deal right now. I sort of look at it like the K20 was after the K7 was released. Its biggest weakness is in the sensor area (high iso and poor DR), but it certainly isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. As others have said, at low iso, I love the colors on the K7 -- just find them more organic than nearly any of the other sensors out there.
03-04-2011, 06:11 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Pentax K-7 is like Starship Enterprise D. State of the art flagship to the Federation for a time and superceded by the Enterprise E later.

Does that mean Enterprise D is no good? far from it. Enterprise E is a lot more advance than Enterprise D but Enterprise D is no potato itself.

OT here. Any trekkies here?
Nice comparison, for those who understand the Star Trek universe.

Does that make Johnathan Archer's NX-01 Enterprise a Spotmatic?

Sorry for the off topic, I have to chime in when Star Trek comes up!

germar
03-04-2011, 06:12 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I upgraded from K10 to K7 due to better AF, higher FPS and quit shutter. Skipped K20 since my favorite subject is sports (indoor & outdoor) and the K20 did not offer enough improvement. I have now however upgraded to the K5 because for me it's high ISO performance is going to be a great step forward for indoor sports.

03-04-2011, 06:33 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I admit that I lust over the high ISO and better DR showcased in the K-5.

And the issues beaten to death daily in these forums about the stains, FF, and so on don't deter me; all that is the standard rant from those early adopters who want things first, want it perfect, and want it cheap compared to C and N products.

But I am waiting to pick up a K-5, as my K-7 currently delivers stunning images that only make me look better as a photographer. I'm still exploring this body; learning tips and secrets and finding more cool stuff the more I shoot. I think this body got a bad rap. It's a helluva camera at a helluva price, and it does all sorts of magic with Pentax DA and FA glass. I feel that it will serve me well and allow me to grow as a shooter until the day the K-5 nears the end of IT'S product cycle, at which time I'll hop on one of those.

So ... if someone walks up to me and asks "Should I take a deal on a K-7?" my response will be "Yes, absolutely ... enjoy a top notch camera at an incredible value."
03-04-2011, 06:49 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Pentax K-7 is like Starship Enterprise D. State of the art flagship to the Federation for a time and superceded by the Enterprise E later.

Does that mean Enterprise D is no good? far from it. Enterprise E is a lot more advance than Enterprise D but Enterprise D is no potato itself.

OT here. Any trekkies here?
If we are talking Star Trek, I'd compare K-7 and K-5 to USS Voyager. Small, tough, and can handle the Borg.

Why won't they make a Star Trek Limited Edition of K-5? Could come with a wall poster of your choice - Spock, Jean-Luc Picard, or Seven of Nine.
03-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've only had a DSLR for eight months (and I've never had a film SLR), but what has taught me the most about photography so far has been using 100% manual lenses. Being forced to control focus, aperture, speed and sensitivity myself made me learn how these factors interact.

It may be slightly unfortunate that I learned on a K-x. I think it has taught me to be a bit lazy with exposure. I can push an underexposed ISO6400 shot up a stop in PP without drowning in noise. But with my new K-7, an underexposed ISO6400 shot is slavageable for screen viewing and that's about it. I have to sell either the K-x or the K-7, and I think that keeping the K-7 will make me a more conscientious photographer. I'm going to have to start nailing the exposure on a regular basis.

03-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #38

Photos: Albums
k7 Noise

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Dynamic range is something wich is lacking with K-7, but it isn't really a big issue. And that thing with high ISO, I actually like K-7 noise in some situations. I f I'll purchase K-5 to be as second body , because it shares same batterygrip, it will be used for what it exells, K-7 still has it's place. It really gives me some confidense, I know that it will not let me down in any circumstances inside, or out there.
I think I've said close to the same before. I see occasional artistic value in the noise my k7 produces. I lean most towards the 5000-6400 than the mid ISO range when I want to use the noise.

I can't say that other cameras produce similar, better or worse noise than my k7, but don't really care.

I'll be honest in that I don't like the noise at ISO 640-1600 much.

I'm used to film, which for me was limited to ASA 800, and I rarely shoot over ASA 200, so getting photo's that are usable up to ISO 3200 is great. I know it doesn't compare with the k5, but it's great for me.

I thought about the k5, but the issues stopped me. Thought about selling the k7 for a short time, but glad I didn't. My DA* lenses focus perfectly, and I'm still learning how to get more out of the k7 whenever I use it. I guess when I've reached the k7's limits, I'll move on, but for now it's a better camera than I am photographer.

Bill
03-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #39
Pentaxian

I have my K-7 now fro three months and I love it. No rpoblems apart that the front dial broke, but they did fix it.

I did shoot a few pix with ISO3200, and they look great. yes there is noise (and I actually added more in Silver effecs fro), but not that mutch that it hinders me. You just have to be creative with it.

And don't forget, if they sell a million K-7's, and a thousand people complain about it. In a few days on the internet will make it look like 900000 peopel complain about it. People that like the camera, will just shoot pix and be happy with it. People that complain will do it more than once, hence make it look there is a bigger isue than there is
03-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I have had my K-7 for 20,000 plus photos and it is a very good camera. Only real problem after the vertical green line problem was solved with firmware updates (I believe it took couple of updates to totally solve the problem) is the shutter blur problem but kowning the problem. The sensor is not any better than the K20D sensor but the camera is a lot better. Better AF and handling over the K20D.

I am now shooting with the K-5 and am keeping the K-7 for a second camera.
03-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
It may be slightly unfortunate that I learned on a K-x. I think it has taught me to be a bit lazy with exposure. I can push an underexposed ISO6400 shot up a stop in PP without drowning in noise. But with my new K-7, an underexposed ISO6400 shot is slavageable for screen viewing and that's about it. I have to sell either the K-x or the K-7, and I think that keeping the K-7 will make me a more conscientious photographer. I'm going to have to start nailing the exposure on a regular basis.
My situation was very similar to yours, in that I began with the K-x and then moved to the K-7. When the K-5 came out, I got caught up in the excitement and purchased one only to return it because of the sensor stain issue. Now, I don't think I'll return to the K-5 for a while until a the QC issues are sorted or a price drop happens. In the meantime, I am learning to appreciate the K-7 again. There's also a K-r in the family that I reach for way too often, just because it's new, but it actually belongs to my wife
03-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
My situation was very similar to yours, in that I began with the K-x and then moved to the K-7. When the K-5 came out, I got caught up in the excitement and purchased one only to return it because of the sensor stain issue. Now, I don't think I'll return to the K-5 for a while until a the QC issues are sorted or a price drop happens. In the meantime, I am learning to appreciate the K-7 again. There's also a K-r in the family that I reach for way too often, just because it's new, but it actually belongs to my wife
How nice that your wife enjoys photography as well! I was thinking maybe my wife would enjoy the K-x...
03-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #43
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Snydly Quote
I guess when I've reached the k7's limits, I'll move on, but for now it's a better camera than I am photographer.
All technology makes me feel that way, K7 included. I will say it makes me feel like a better photographer and that only fuels my infatuation with it.

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Sorry for the off topic, I have to chime in when Star Trek comes up!
Yeah, me too. But in my universe Kirk wins every time regardless of the ship. Does anyone else here wonder if the Borg use Canonikons?
03-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #44
Forum Member

K7 is my primary camera

The K-7 is a dream when upgrading from the K100D Super or istD*

It fits in my hand perfectly, it is fairly lightweight, and it's mirror slap is quiet compared to the K100D.

Sure the K-5 is almost double in price, but put an F/1.4 lens on the K-7 and you can shoot inside moderately lit indoor spaces without a flash at ISO at 100-200.
Plus, the IS helps shoot at 1/10th of a second without blur!

The lens is what makes the camera! Get good quality lenses to get great pictures. I highly recommend the K7 if you want to save a bit of money but not skimp on quality. I recommend the DA* 55mm F/1.4 SDM lens for super sharp portraits and flowers!

If Pentax continues their trend of decreasing odd numbers I will probably upgrade to the K3 or K1 in about 3 years or so. I hope Pentax makes the K3 or K1 with a full-frame 20MP sensor. I see HD to the max and some impressive night shooting for starters.
03-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #45

i think that K7 is a great camera for i shoot in the daytime more than in the night...colours produced are beautiful for landscape . It doesnt matter wat camera u use, but the skill needed to produce good pictures come from the side of the photographer.