Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chattphotos Quote
The K-7 is a dream when upgrading from the K100D Super or istD*

It fits in my hand perfectly, it is fairly lightweight, and it's mirror slap is quiet compared to the K100D.

Sure the K-5 is almost double in price, but put an F/1.4 lens on the K-7 and you can shoot inside moderately lit indoor spaces without a flash at ISO at 100-200.
Plus, the IS helps shoot at 1/10th of a second without blur!

The lens is what makes the camera! Get good quality lenses to get great pictures. I highly recommend the K7 if you want to save a bit of money but not skimp on quality. I recommend the DA* 55mm F/1.4 SDM lens for super sharp portraits and flowers!

If Pentax continues their trend of decreasing odd numbers I will probably upgrade to the K3 or K1 in about 3 years or so. I hope Pentax makes the K3 or K1 with a full-frame 20MP sensor. I see HD to the max and some impressive night shooting for starters.
I see a lot of members who still produce great photos with a *istD and other older Pentax DSLRs, which is inspiring and why I figure the K-7 would be an immense upgrade when compared to those cameras. Considering these cameras seem to be updated on an annual basis, I'm with you in that I may sit out on the K-5 and see what a K-3/K-1 will have in store. In the meantime, the K-7 is still very suitable for my style of photography and I actually don't mind some grain at higher ISO. It actually adds to the "vintage" kick I've been on and if not, I'm ready with Topaz Denoise.

03-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

i just went K10 to K7, skipped the 20. I wanted the 5 but not the bill. got the 7 for very reasonable,. Compared to my 10 it's and upgrade in almost every way (the 10 may be better at iso 200 and below and on over 30 second shots) otherwise i find it a joy. As for low noise i think it got a bad rep compared to the ds and the k10 its fine up to 1600 and 3200 with good de-noise work and proper exposure is more than possible.
the k10 was bordering unusable at 1600 and of course didn't have 3200, the 3200 on the ds bordered on pointillism lol

the 5 now holds only the appeal of increased Dr and iso for me. nothing else to grab me. i can now wait it out 1-2 generations for the next best thing. if it's a FF then i may get tempted to spend some dough, if it's a cosmetically different k5 with little change then wait for the next or pick up a good used k5
Nothing particularly wrong with grain i sure use films that have it on a regular basis (Trix anyone, at 1600-3200...)
03-08-2011, 01:46 AM   #48
Inactive Account

Upgraded straight from the K100D (not the Super Love it !! $ saved was able to get great lenses. I'd rather the glass at this stage and shoot the edge of the limitation of the camera. K5/K3 at a later stage and would keep the K7 as spare body
03-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #49
Pentaxian

I agree on that glass point. I wanted to have K-7(update from *ist Ds), and now I'm looking for nice optics. Good lenses makes K-7 even better.

03-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #50
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-7 is a very good camera.
Pentax K-5 is a great camera.

The major difference is the sensor and it was not available when the K-7 was launched.
For a lot of shooting, there is no practical difference.
K-5 shines at low light, and when you need faster autofocus. This does not make K-7 a less camera.

For some the K-7 was too small, they wanted the larger K10D/K20D form factor, I respect that, but I prefere the K-5/K-7 design myself.

But most who bashed the K-7 was dissapointed after having been caught up by the pre-launch hype. And when it couldn't make an espresso...
03-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #51
Veteran Member

I started with a k10d, then upgraded to the k20d shortly after it came out. I can't say that I noticed any real improvement or changes going from a k10d to the k20d. It didn't seem like an upgrade really.

I finally killed my k20d last November in a rainstorm, and after reading a ton, picked up a used k7 on this forum. I was really tempted by the k-r for the smaller size & low light performance, but I do a lot of hiking and kayaking with my camera and decided I needed WR. I couldn't afford a k-5, so k-7 it was.

And I'm pretty happy with my choice, it's better in low light than the k20 and it takes a nicer sharper looking picture. I mostly use the limited primes, so they're reasonably fast to begin with. To me it actually feels like an upgrade, unlike the k10 to k20 upgrade I did before.
03-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #52
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a K-x and a K-7. They complement each other quite well and between the two of them I have no desire for a K-5. Instead I was thinking about picking up a Fuji X-100 but decided to get the Sony NEX-5 instead. The flip out LCD allows you to quickly frame up shots that cannot be so easily (if at all) done with a non flip out screen. If you are into street photography and taking candid shots of strangers, imagine not having to bring a big clunky DSLR up to your face to take a picture. Also The NEX is so small and lightweight it can be almost completely concealed with one hand. As it turns out, this is my dream camera.
03-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #53
Inactive Account

I was leaning for the K5, but the way the prices have gone down on the K7, and I mostly do macros, and landscapes, So I also am going to do the K7, I already have a Kx, and have loved it, Plus having the Tamron 900 2.8 and the 70-200 2.8, with the 18-200, after reading this thread, I am going K7. Plus the money saved I can get the Tamron17-50 or 28-75 2.8. Now to let my wife know how much money I will be saving! Oh might as well get another good flash unit, the grip...............

03-11-2011, 02:11 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ggeorge11 Quote
... So I also am going to do the K7, I already have a Kx, and have loved it...
Well, if you plan on keeping the K-x plus the K7, in your place I'd sell the Kx and buy the K5 instead...

That's what I've done (I had both the Kx and the K7), and I came out even (sold both cams for 950, and bought the K5 for 1000)...

But otherwise the K7 is really a nice camera...