Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2007, 07:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

K10D+BG2 Low Battery Indication?

Looking for some insight into how much "life" remains when the little battery icon goes to the "half" ('battery is running low') state. When I first got my system, I set the battery management to "Auto". I got a nasty surprise when the camera died from lack of power a few shots after the icon went from "full" to "half". Since then I've set the battery management to "Grip First". The question is, what does it mean when the icon goes to "half" in this mode? Is the grip battery going, or has the grip battery been completely discharged, and the body battery is just about out of juice? I think it is the former, because if I remove the grip battery (to recharge it), the battery icon goes back to the "full" state - but I've never done a lot of shooting at that point; generally wait until the battery from the grip is recharged and go from there.

By the way, both batteries are genuine Pentax D-LI50 units; I do have a third, off brand from B&H that I keep as a back up... anyone know what the self-discharge rate on Lithium batteries is? And is there an easy way to check the charge capacity for one of these things, other than popping it into the camera? Would like some more precise indication other than "full", "going" and "almost gone"!

Thanks for any sharable wisdom!

10-19-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Funny thing

My K10D when the indicator shows half life has about 10 shots left.

My *istD would go on shooting for ever at 1/2 life
10-19-2007, 07:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mine dies very shortly after the battery shows half full. The battery indicator definitely could have been better. I can also tell that the battery is dying when the fps rate slows down....I usually leave the selection to auto between the two batteries. I have a pentax battery and an off brand in mine.
10-19-2007, 07:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well, it seems Pentax is consitant...My K10D will die quickly about 10-15 shots when the battery indicator shows 1/2 way..What I have done that has proven the way to go for me, is I have the settings set up so it uses both batteries together..
I have found that I get about 1500 shots that way (no flash)..or when I fill 3 2 gig cards...I have an external flash (360) that runs on its own batteries...
My K100'S do seem to go forever when the battery indicator reads 1/2 way..

10-19-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm on vacation (holiday) and got the same surprise myself. I usually run the K10D and BG2 on Auto and yesterday late afternoon, *blink*, out it went. I thought it was odd as I frequently check my battery status and the LCD indicator showed full up until the last few shots. I charged them overnight and was good for the next day.

I can't really complain though, for as per my files, I took about 1100 photos, about 25% with on-board flash, over 7 days of multiple power-ups (and sensor cleaning on power-up), on two batteries fully charged the day before we left on our trip.

I'll be buying another battery as soon as we get home