Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax flash for *istDL and K-x

I'm new to photography as well as the forum. I've been searching and can't find answers and thought perhaps someone here could help.

I have a Pentax *istDL and a K-x. I was looking at shoe mount flashes. I was considering the Pentax AF360FGZ or AF500FTZ. I found a couple at good prices. The specs are fairly similar. But I can't find what the "FGZ" or "FTZ" designate. Can anyone explain? Also, do you have recommendations as far as which would be better or if they would be fairly equal?

Thanks for the help and advice!

03-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The AF500FTZ is a nice flash but won't work very well with either of these cameras. Only a few of its features work; the cameras don't have a sensor required for automatic exposure. For full compatibility, you want a P-TTL flash. There's a complete feference here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/43215-pen...omparison.html

The AF360FGZ is compatible, and the replacement for the AF500FTZ is the AF540FGZ, also compatible with more features and power than the 360. The K-x can do a bit more with these flashes than the DL, especially wireless.
03-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info!! This makes decision making much easier. I appreciate the link for P-TTL flash comparison too. The more I learn, the better I will become.
Have a great day!
03-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I have the AF540FGZ that I use on my *istd L and my K20D. It works well with both bodies.