Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Anyone tried this alternative to Wein Safe-Sync?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Someone mentioned this in a thread in the Beginner's forums:

Amazon.com: SMDV Hot Shoe Hotshoe Safe Sync Adapter SM-512 for Pentax K-5, K-r, K-7, K-m, x70, X90, K200d, K20d, K100D Super, K10D, K110D,K100D, *ist DL2, *ist DS2, *ist DL, *ist DS, K2000, K-X: Camera & Photo

It looks like an affordable alternative to the Wein Safe-Sync, so I bought one. Total cost was about $19, delivered. Comparred to $50 or $60 for a Wein, that's a steal.

It arrived yesterday. The build quality looks okay. However, it doesn't seem to work consistently, at least for me.

I tried two different Vivitar 283 flashes. Both fire just fine on a Pentax K1000. Both have trigger voltage of more than 100 volts. When I put them on the adapter, however, neither the K1000 or my K10D will trigger them. I even tried a direct short on the adapter's hotshoe, off camera. No luck. Neither flash worked using either the hotshoe or PC cord.

I tried a Honeywell Strobonar 770, via PC cord. Same thing. The K1000 will trigger it fine, but neither camera will trigger it through the adapter.

I also tried a small Rollei Strobonar 280S. Same.

I was beginning to think I had just received a bad copy, when I tried it on a Promaster 5500, that I normally use with my K10D. This one fires perfectly on the adapter. Ironically, its the only one with a safe trigger voltage or about 8 volts.

The internal battery check (it uses a CR2032 battery) shows the battery is okay.

Any ideas? Has anyone used one of these successfully, with a Vivitar 283?

03-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I hope some else has input on these. I thought of getting also have a few vivitar 285s and 283s sitting around
03-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just got mine. I'll try it and report back.
03-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I tried mine just now - like yours, will trigger a low voltage flash, but not a high voltage flash. I tried a Vivitar 283 (made in Japan) and a Vivitar 3700 with a Pentax module (about 5v trigger). The 283 did not flash with the adapter but the 3700 did. What is interesting is when I had the 283 mounted I touched the PC connector on the front on the adapter, I could feel the tingle of high voltage. I guess it protects your camera from the high voltage by not allowing the flash to fire. It's too bad, I wanted this to work. I guess I'll have to build one.

03-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
I tried mine just now - like yours, will trigger a low voltage flash, but not a high voltage flash. I tried a Vivitar 283 (made in Japan) and a Vivitar 3700 with a Pentax module (about 5v trigger). The 283 did not flash with the adapter but the 3700 did. What is interesting is when I had the 283 mounted I touched the PC connector on the front on the adapter, I could feel the tingle of high voltage. I guess it protects your camera from the high voltage by not allowing the flash to fire. It's too bad, I wanted this to work. I guess I'll have to build one.
Thanks. I don't know if I feel better that someone else had the same experience, or if I feel worse, because it seems that this thing just doesn't work.

What is the point of not firing a high voltage flash? That is its whole reason for existence, isn't it?

I got mine from FotoDiox, via Amazon. I sent an email to FotoDiox yesterday, explaining the situation. I haven't heard back yet, probably because of the weekend. I've purchased several things from them, via ebay, and this is the first disappointment.

I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron. Do you have plans, or at least a circuit diagram for such a device? There is a hotshoe adapter, cloned from a Nikon unit, that is available for only a few bucks on ebay. I've often thought that, if there was room inside, it would make a great housing for such a DIY device.

NIKON AS-15 Sync Terminal Adapter (Hot Shoe to PC) - eBay (item 190508713547 end time Mar-11-11 09:59:08 PST)
03-06-2011, 11:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron. Do you have plans, or at least a circuit diagram for such a device? There is a hotshoe adapter, cloned from a Nikon unit, that is available for only a few bucks on ebay. I've often thought that, if there was room inside, it would make a great housing for such a DIY device.
Read this post.

I was able to stuff the circuit in the remote sensor of the Sunpak 611 (foreground in the photos). Later on, I was able to do the same thing for a few Sunpak 522 units (with remote sensor) and two Metz 45CT1 (also with Mecamat remote sensor).

Like your idea, I once gutted a cheap optical sensor to make a Safe-Sync-like adapter.

I ordered all the parts from Digi-Key. If you order enough parts to make 10 circuits, the cost per circuit is less than $2.
03-07-2011, 04:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think that leaves me out I know my old 285s and 283s are high voltage guess I'll get the 50 bucks together and get the wein one

03-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Read this post.

I was able to stuff the circuit in the remote sensor of the Sunpak 611 (foreground in the photos). Later on, I was able to do the same thing for a few Sunpak 522 units (with remote sensor) and two Metz 45CT1 (also with Mecamat remote sensor).

Like your idea, I once gutted a cheap optical sensor to make a Safe-Sync-like adapter.

I ordered all the parts from Digi-Key. If you order enough parts to make 10 circuits, the cost per circuit is less than $2.

That link is messed up. I think this is the correct one:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/58197-diy...safe-sync.html