Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-7 & Rain

I think I put the K-7 and DA* 55mm weather sealing to the test today!

I shot a model in the steady rain, my jacket was soaked in about 5 minutes. I had rain streaming in my eyes, but I got some impressive photos! Some shots were unintentionally softened by all the water on the UV filter on the 55mm lens.

My K-7 & 55mm are fully functional as I type, all systems go! I like Pentax for making cameras that can handle the elements!

Do you have similar rainy experiences with your K5/7 and WR lenses?

03-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like you had a great shoot!
Would love to see some pics
03-05-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had some very similar positive experience with the K-7 and my non-WR lenses. I shoot outdoor in tropical and subtropical foul weather, and I am very impressed by the K-7. While I understand that WR does not mean water proof, it is very re-assuring to shoot outdoor with the K-7 under very bad weather conditions, incl. troical rainstorm, mud and salty splash. I have done all that and I am very impressed by the K-7 solidity.

I add that I use mostly the DA18-250mm and Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 outdoor. These lenses are not officially WR but their are very, very sturdy and solid.

Last edited by hcc; 03-05-2011 at 11:22 PM.
03-05-2011, 11:27 PM   #4

well, using my 2 WR lens and K7, i am also impressed about the weather sealing of the body. I can use my camera in the rain without any worries and although its often the model i am worried about...LOL

03-06-2011, 12:43 AM   #5

Although I don't feel I have really tested the WR of my K10D, I do shoot in various conditions with confidents. I shot a swim meet where I was low to the edge of the pool and the first lane swimmers would splash me as they went by. Also, there was a light intermittent rain. (Outdoor pool). Other photographers were shooting from under umbrellas and from a safe distance. The long lens hood on my DA*50-135 kept the water drops off the front element.
03-06-2011, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chattphotos Quote

Do you have similar rainy experiences with your K5/7 and WR lenses?
Wandering around an outdoor festival last year in a steady rain, I spent a short time talking to a lady who had a Nikon of some sort hidden under her jacket.
She made a point of telling me I was going to wreck my camera.
I made a point of telling her that she would wreck her camera doing what I was doing, but that my camera would be just fine.
03-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
photos

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Sounds like you had a great shoot!
Would love to see some pics
QuoteOriginally posted by AOShep:
The long lens hood on my DA*50-135 kept the water drops off the front element.
I will remember that AO! I don't know why I didn't think of that before, Thanks for the tip!

Flickr and I never did get along, so I use skydrive photos instead.

If you use Internet Explorer, the awesome slideshow view may not work. Its actually pretty ironic now that I think about it...

The slideshow should work in Chrome but in Safari & Firefox, it works great!

https://cid-37000d24b787d00e.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?page=play&resid=37000D24B787D00E!1224&authkey=d1OJ5q24n4E%24

Enjoy!
03-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
She made a point of telling me I was going to wreck my camera.
I made a point of telling her that she would wreck her camera doing what I was doing, but that my camera would be just fine.

Dont that a few times myself. Doesn't it just make you feel good?

03-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #9

Woah, model is cute! She doesn't smile much though. She should
03-07-2011, 05:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Is there a way to see the pics without installing Silverlight?
03-07-2011, 07:11 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PhilippeG Quote
I'm on a work computer so I didn't want to install Silverlight either. There should be a statement under the first picture that comes up when you click the link that says "View this album on Windows Live SkyDrive". Clicking that takes you to a flicker-like layout with all the individual pictures. I'm using Chrome, but I'd guess it works fine on any browser.

On original topic I usually tuck my lens under my jacket or shirt in rainy/snowy conditions just because I don't own a WR lens yet. I don't worry too much about either my K10d or K7. I also keep a cloth or two handy to wipe the lens periodically, especially with a zoom.
03-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

haven't done any serious wet weather shooting with the K7 yet, but more than once i've been outdoors in the teeming rain with my K10 and assorted non wr lenses shooting live concerts at North By North East (sort of the Canadian SXSW). at most i covered the lenses a little with a bag and elastic, never worried about the camera at all and had no issues. the other shooters with the exception of the guys with very high end canon gear would all disappear. I have a wr lens for the K7 so in really bad weather i will switch to it.
03-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PhilippeG Quote
I didn't realize silverlight would be such a hassle, sorry about that! I'll link up a different image share soon!

QuoteOriginally posted by Spare Tire Quote
Woah, model is cute! She doesn't smile much though. She should
Thanks! (more models soon)
She wanted to be serious, in contemplative compliment with the weather.

If I can persuade her (shouldn't be too hard) to do a spring photoshoot, I'll ask for smiles on a warm sunny spring day.

I went to a photography meetup today, I astounded some local portrait pros (aka Canon/Nikon exclusive) when I said "I went shooting in the rain... literally" They kept asking if I had Otterbox or some other cover for my cam, I told them, it was weather sealed and it lives up to it.
03-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #14
Forum Member

Got rained on this weekend with the K-7 and the 18-55 WR! WR isn't appreciated until it is needed. But for me it made the difference in my choice between the K-x and the K-7.