Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is AWB algorithm influenced by lens characteristics?

Under artificial light, I always set WB manually, but so far I was depending on AWB to pick the right WB under natural light. Now I'm wondering whether the "different" color rendition of lenses is due to their construction somehow influencing the camera AWB algorithm. For example, Vivitar Series 1 lenses always seemed to produce more saturated colors - could this happen just because the camera auto selects a warmer WB? And what would be the reason for this? Coatings or optical design?

Needless to say, in the near future, I'll avoid AWB to find out more about this.

03-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I have wonderd the same sort of thing myself. I am currently investigating adjustments to my WB presets and Custom Image settings based on the lenses that will most likely be used for the various combinations. However, if I choose to deviate from the standard lens, I too wonder how that will affect WB, AWB or not.