Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Portrait Studio Camera?

Hey all.

I currently have the K100D and I want to get into portrait and wedding photography. I think I'm going to upgrade my lens to a 70mm f2.4 DA Limited (anyone appose this decision)?
If I were to upgrade this lens, would it be worth keeping the K100D for this lens or is an upgrade absolutely necessary to use it? In other words, I know the K100D has it's limitations as far as shutter speed and such. Will having a lens with a f2.4 make a drastic difference with this camera. (I currently have the kit lens DA 3.5-5.6 18mm-55mm). Is the K100D a "joke" for portrait photography even with a good lens?

If an upgrade is recommended, which camera would you suggest (not the most expensive please ). I've heard the K5 had problems. Have they been resolved sense?
I've done some research and searched the boards but it can get VERY confusing when you have hundreds of opinions pointing their fingers at different items. I'm really just looking for a camera and a lens that are compatible with each other for portraits and weddings without completely breaking the bank.

Thank you very much for the read and help! much appreciated.

03-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

the K5 might experience focusing problems with modelling lights which are typically very powerful halogens. But if you are setting up a strobist style studio I don't think you will have a problem with your choice of camera. Pentax cameras and external flash units are well suited for strobist work, all you need are a few light stands some umbrellas (preferably a softbox, but I'm biased) The lens is good for a beginner, most beginners in the portraiture field use something like a fast 50 f/1.4 or f/1.8 and a 28~70mm Zoom lens for added flexibility. You also might want to purchase some wireless triggers like the cactus V5 - which are reasonably cheap and reliable and provide a wide range of connectivity options (I haven't used cactus triggers, I Prefer Elinchrom Skyports - but the skyports are substantially more expensive).
03-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Definitely no need for a K-5.

The K100D is 6MP which uncropped is probably enough, although I think a K-x would be more suitable especially if you are going into weddings as it has faster operation, faster AF, more resolution, and better high ISO capaiblity.

In terms of purely sensor bang for buck I think K-x is king (just look at Dxomark). Also the K-x is cheap, very cheap, now. $300 second hand maybe?

I have a K-x with a bunch of nice lenses including a DA70. The DA70 is a superb lens, probably the best IQ of all the DA limiteds. I think paired with a 17ish-50 f2.8 zoom it would be a strong wedding kit. If you are doing weddings though you need 2 bodies so you might need to keep your K100D.
03-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seymop Quote
Hey all.

I currently have the K100D and I want to get into portrait and wedding photography. I think I'm going to upgrade my lens to a 70mm f2.4 DA Limited (anyone appose this decision)?
If I were to upgrade this lens, would it be worth keeping the K100D for this lens or is an upgrade absolutely necessary to use it? In other words, I know the K100D has it's limitations as far as shutter speed and such. Will having a lens with a f2.4 make a drastic difference with this camera. (I currently have the kit lens DA 3.5-5.6 18mm-55mm). Is the K100D a "joke" for portrait photography even with a good lens?

If an upgrade is recommended, which camera would you suggest (not the most expensive please ). I've heard the K5 had problems. Have they been resolved sense?
I've done some research and searched the boards but it can get VERY confusing when you have hundreds of opinions pointing their fingers at different items. I'm really just looking for a camera and a lens that are compatible with each other for portraits and weddings without completely breaking the bank.

Thank you very much for the read and help! much appreciated.
Go for the K-x (2nd hand) or a brand new K-r

03-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Go for the K-x (2nd hand) or a brand new K-r
..or a new k-x.
03-06-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

You can do great portraits with a Pentax K100D. In the studio, light levels are usually so high that you cannot even use a fast lens and stopped down to f/8 most lenses do not differ that much from each other.

For weddings, however, I guess the K100D might be a bit too slow in two ways
  1. it has a very small buffer so shooting RAW can very quickly lead to a camera that becomes unresponsive.
  2. the AF will work fine in static scenes and everything without too much movement, but it may cause you some missed shots when things get hectic.
I think it is entirely possible to shot a wedding with a K100D but faster cameras will probably give you some shots you otherwise could miss.
03-06-2011, 11:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
light levels are usually so high that you cannot even use a fast lens and stopped down to f/8 most lenses do not differ that much from each other.
Light modifiers can eat up a ton of light, even with a 1200W/s monobloc - A 70cm white beauty dish a 1/8th grid attached, you can comfortably use apertures as wide as f/2.8 @ ISO100 with the flash at 1/16th power and the subject 3M from the flash.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
hink it is entirely possible to shot a wedding with a K100D but faster cameras will probably give you some shots you otherwise could miss.
On the flipside, with a slower camera you will learn to anticipate the action (if there is any) and you will have to spend less time editing the photos down to the keepers because you won't have to wade through a heap of practically identical frames. Also, you won't waste so much memory card space.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-06-2011 at 11:37 PM.
03-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
depends what your charging as to what camera you need... i wouldn't consider doing a wedding with anything less than a K-5 and I've hired a 645d for my next wedding. I do have a K-x as backup body though.

k100d for a wedding? you must be joking, unless your charging only $500 or something. But i guess you have to start somewhere. ( i did shoot my first one with a K-x)

03-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For studio portraits, even the kit lens is fine.
Generally studio means you control lighting and it's shot at f/11, unless you want the narrow DOF stuff in which case you want faster apertures instead (i.e., invest more in the lens than lighting).

I'd also switch to a K-5 if you're really doing weddings...faster focus and better high-iso are the main reasons, though the FF issue still has me worried enough to hold off on buying it...
03-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Thing is you could buy 2 brand new K-x's plus a tamron 17-50 f2.8 zoom for less than the cost of a K-5 body. A K-x is sufficient for shooting a wedding IMHO.
03-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shot weddings with my k20 and I am upgrading to the k5 for this season. The k100 is a great camera, but I wouldn't shoot a wedding with it. Most of my clients expect file sizes larger than 6mp and want the option to buy prints as large as 20-30. Also, fps is a big concern. FPS and ISO are two of the reasons that I am upgrading or this season.

As to lenses, the 70 2.4 will be great for portraits and for some parts of doing weddings, but if you are serious about weddings you will want some fast zooms and the 50 1.4 for really low light receptions. If you can, rent some gear and assist or 2nd on some weddings before you buy. Then you can get a really good idea of what you want/need from your gear before you buy.
03-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
depends what your charging as to what camera you need... i wouldn't consider doing a wedding with anything less than a K-5 and I've hired a 645d for my next wedding. I do have a K-x as backup body though.

k100d for a wedding? you must be joking, unless your charging only $500 or something. But i guess you have to start somewhere. ( i did shoot my first one with a K-x)
Good luck with that.

The 645D is not well suited for weddings, and you really don't need 40MP pictures for weddings anyway.

The K100D is fine for weddings, just like any other camera out there.