Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
Inactive Account

How to elminate K7 high iso noise

I get annoyed by the output at high iso.

03-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #2

There's always Noise Ninja, but the manual method is always better.
Shoot RAW, remove noise/sharpen locally by using masks, layers and/or channels.
This method is too complicated to explain here, so learn how to use masks/layers/channels
in Photoshop. (Hint: Do a google-search for "channels+find edges").
If your subject is static and doesn't move shoot many identical frames in RAW and make a stack of layers in Photoshop.

Reduce Noise Using 32-bit Photoshop Image Stack Averaging

Averaging produces stunning results, and a stack of 32 images shot at 6400 ISO will look
as noise free as a 200 ISO single image.
03-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shoot Raw and have a right PP software to deal with the noise
03-06-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are two very well known techniques to reduce/remove high-ISO noise with the K-7:

(a) in-camera noise reduction based upon the method of Adam (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/106600-k-7-high-iso-success.html); the methos works well if you follow closely the settings of Adam;

(b) remove all in-camera PP, and do noise reduction in computer using a dedicated software like Noiseware and co; I use Noiseware and I am very happy of the outcome with ISO up to 3200.

Personally I prefer the second method. It gives more pleasing results in my opinion, but the first method is simpler since it does not require PP.

However there is another approach. If you need to shoot in low-light conditions, do use a fast prime lens (eg f1.4). I got some excellent results with my Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4. In a few situations, I was shooting at dusk with friends using the latest Kanikon dSLRs with kit lens. Using the K-7 + Nokton 58m f1.4, I could shoot below ISO 800 when it was too dark for them to shoot with their Canikon.

Hope that the comment will help....

Last edited by hcc; 03-07-2011 at 12:12 AM.
03-07-2011, 04:27 AM   #5
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My time is too valuable to fret and nitpick over this so I just use Topaz Denoise and it works good enough for me. IMO people obsess too much over pixels and technicalities. Learn how to see great pictures and develop your creative instincts... that is a much better investment of your mind, time and energy.
03-07-2011, 04:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
My time is too valuable to fret and nitpick over this so I just use Topaz Denoise and it works good enough for me. IMO people obsess too much over pixels and technicalities. Learn how to see great pictures and develop your creative instincts... that is a much better investment of your mind, time and energy.
Amen, Brother.
03-07-2011, 05:09 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alexshen8 Quote

What ISO are you talking?
03-07-2011, 05:43 AM   #8

A single method of noise reduction suited for all situation does simply not exist. With my K20d and 400 ISO and broad daylight I hardly need any noise reduction at all. When the light is a bit dimmer Noise Ninja or any other software does a good job. But try to do this . . . https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/135754-k20d-night-photography-high-iso.html
. . . in the dead of night, and I'll guarantee that automated software will fall short. In situations like this there's no other way than using manual labour in PS if you want your image reasonably noise-free.

03-07-2011, 06:42 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I used Adobe Camera RAW's noise reduction.
It works very well.
Now I use a K5, and it works even better.
03-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I used ACR´s noise reduction up to about ISO 1000. The latest versions of ACR work pretty well.
Above ISO 1000 I used a dedicated noise reduction software like Topaz DeNoise or Noise Ninja
03-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
K7 noise reduction

For the OP, seriously, get a trial of DxO and provided you are using a lens supported by DxO, be prepared to be blown away.

Even if your lens is not supported, the noise reduction is excellent in raw. I tested K7 images from the net and was able to get clean images at iso3200 taken in dark places.

Better, as far as I could see, than noise ninja et al.

I currently use my K-X set on auto iso 200 - 3200, with no worries about noise at 3200. Images are clean. The K7 will give you decent clean images at 1600 and usable images at 3200 iso.

Give it a trial, it will cost you nothing and may cause you to find a new lease of life for your K7.
03-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Another vote for Topaz Denoise 5. I've tried several other plug-ins but nothing works as well as TD5.
03-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not in a position to make a comparative assessment, but I've had good luck with Nik software's denoise, which I bought because I was already a fan of Silver Efex Pro--but my guess is that you would be happy with any of the noise reduction software mentioned here.
03-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Why don't you post a sample of annoying high iso output? Not a test shot - some real use scenario where the results are not up to your expectations.