Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Advice on a new camera

I am looking to upgrade my present camera system and I’m looking for advice.
Here is the situation that I’m in now:
I have a Pentax K10D with 2 lenses (18-55mm F3.5 and a 55-300mm F4) and a battery grip. I love this camera but it not doing well in the dark, and the price of a new F2.8 lens is about the same as upgrading my camera.
The enjoy taking all kinds of pictures. However my son is now in high school sports (soccer, Lacrosse and swimming) and most of the activities’ take place at night and with difficult lighting. So my main goal is to get newer camera that does well with fast action and low light.
I am willing to move completely out of Pentax to a Cannon or Nikon if it would be best for what I’m trying to accomplish and within my budget.
My budget is this:
About $800 ($500 and around $350 for the trade in of my current kit at B&H and Adaroma)
The main cameras that I’m looking at now are:
Pentak K-r, Cannon T2i, and the Nikon 3100d
Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
Speed and low light are most important.
One last note: a friend of mine has a 70-300 mm lens for Cannon that he would let me use till I was able to get a second lens or another lens that would go with the 18-55mm lens that comes with most camera kits.
Thanks Rob

03-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That trade offer is probably a bit low.

I would suggest you sell your k10 and pick up a k-5, but keep the current lenses. The K-5 has best-in-class low-light performance, and is available for $1389 at B&H, meaning that you can get it for less used. Thus, if you bump your budget up by about $200 or wait a little bit longer, you should be able to afford it!

The K-5 is the first Pentax with which I regularly shoot at high-iso with no reservation. You don't have to worry about noise at all until 3200, and image quality remains fine through 12800. I recommend you read my K-5 review for more info!

When not shooting with my beloved 85mm F1.4, I use the 18-135mm with my K-5, and the relatively slow speed (same as your two lenses) isn't much of a problem!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Short answer: buy a new K-r and use the 55-300. Then save your pennies for a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 second hand.

Actually a K-x second hand, and a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 secondhand would come to about $1000. The K-r autofocus is superior to the K-x though. ISO performance is the same.
03-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
Adam and twitch,
Thanks for the advice. I sent my kit off to Adorama today it looks like they will give me a much better deal on a trade in than B&H. I should know by Friday.

I still feel that the Pentax is my best bet.

Hopefully I will get some more positive feed back.

Thanks again,
Rob

03-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree with Twitch... right on!
03-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi Rob,

That's a shame- but I hope Adorama gives you a good deal! In the future, be aware that we feature one of the biggest, if not THE biggest Pentax marketplace on the internet. In this section, you can sell your camera gear free of charge: all it takes is a one time-donation, with no fees beyond that. Usually you'll hear from other interested forum members within days in not hours! The Pentax Marketplace | Sell Pentax | Photographic Equipment for Sale - PentaxForums.com

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Adam,
Today is my first day here so I'm learning as I go. I will look into the donation part of it. I didn't sell my K10d kit yet , I only sent it to get appraised.
I think right now I'm looking at the K-5, I feel like the k-r is a step sideways and not a step up. The k-r being a better camera, but the k-5 being a much better camera and being more like the K10d in size, shape, and the LCD on top.

03-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by rwfarnell Quote
better camera
I think you meant value

You're right, though- the K-r is more of a sidegrade. Sure, you get the new software gimmicks as well as improved responsiveness over the K10, but you'd lose the LCD on top, the pentaprism viewfinder, the weather sealing, and, most importantly, that second e-dial. The K-5 is well worth it

Adam

03-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #9

Original Poster
I would like to know where to find a second hand K-5 like twitch was talking about!
03-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rwfarnell Quote
I would like to know where to find a second hand K-5 like twitch was talking about!
Twitch mentioned a K-X not a K-5.
03-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #11

Original Poster
Oh, sorry about that, it’s still a good thought, don’t you think?