Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
in camera K-X image processing question

Hi, anybody know the following? I use my K-X set to 6mp jpeg, not the max 10mp jpeg output.

Does the camera down sample the full sensor 10mp image or does it make use of fewer pixels? I can't see a difference between the 6mp and 10mp images at PC screen size.

And why, if the sensor is rated as a 12mp sensor, is the max jpeg size only 10mp?

Thanks.

03-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure about your down sampling questions, but to get the max 12MB jpg you need to set the quality level to Best (3 stars) in addition to the file size.
03-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If you use 6mp you would be resize the picture only not cropping or anything. The camera will still use the Raw image of 12mp just resize it in in camera PP. If you are looking to save space I believe it is better to turn down the quality from 3 stars to 2 stars then change from 12mp to 6mp. Or was it the other way around. Someone else can confirm.
03-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I think he's asking if the camera resizes the camera or if the sensor goes into "crop" mode, -only using half the megapixels and not downsizing the picture.

The answer is pretty obvious. The camera resizes the picture of the original RAW file, which is discarded.
If the camera used half of the pixels and didn't resize, the angle of view would be much lower, which is NOT good. Unless you want to get extra reach from your camera, which is something Canon has implemented in their systems.

03-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by jlaubza Quote
Hi, anybody know the following? I use my K-X set to 6mp jpeg, not the max 10mp jpeg output.

Does the camera down sample the full sensor 10mp image or does it make use of fewer pixels? I can't see a difference between the 6mp and 10mp images at PC screen size.

And why, if the sensor is rated as a 12mp sensor, is the max jpeg size only 10mp?

Thanks.
JPEG's are 4288 x 2848 at top resolution which is 12,212,224 pixels. I don't know what is wrong?
03-17-2011, 02:05 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
resizing in camera

Thanks to all. Question answered. And yes, I did make a mistake - it is a 12mp image at full size.

I like Pentax in camera jpegs - they have good quality and can be cropped quite a bit before the image degrades.