Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2007, 01:07 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I used to keep the Sigma 18-50 on it, but lately it is what ever I used last. I am more likely now to pick a particular lens or two to take to an event rather than the whole big bag. Don't really need the fisheye at an airshow, for instance, or the 70-300 in a museum.
There's the whole thing in a nutshell.

At work, I use the S-M-C Takumar 105/2.8 99% of the time. But in the camera bag that is always within arm's reach I have:

SMC Takumar 55/1.8
S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5
S-M-C Takumar 135/3.5
SMC-A 50/2
Cosina MF 20/3.8

And sitting on a shelf at home are:

SMC-M 50/1.4
SMC-A 28/2.8
Sigma-A 35-70
18-55 kit lens
FA-J 75-300
Super Takumar 135/3.5
Takumar (Bayonet) 135/2.5
Super Takumar 200/4

If I'm going out just walking around to shoot, I mount the Takumar 55/1.8 and slip the 28/3.5 in my pocket. Alternately, I remove the M42 adapter, mount the 50/2 and slip the Cosina 20 in my pocket. If I foresee some telephoto action, I'll take a 135 along as well, in either mount.

10-22-2007, 07:20 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by norco5 Quote
I'm off to do some research.... THANK YOU!!!
You are all great!!
Now to see where I can find the cheapest price in Canada or USA... ?
Thanks again
Shannon
What part of BC are you from Shannon?

If it happens to be in the Okanagan there's a good chance that I can loan you 1 or 2 lenses, to see what you like.
10-22-2007, 09:52 AM   #18

I have several lenses. They are listed here in teh order of how useful I find them in everyday shooting:

Tamron A03P 28-200 3.8-5.6 (my most used lens, most of my favorite pics I have gotten from my K100D were through this lens--80% of the time this is on the camera)

Pentax DA 18-55 kit lens 3.5-5.6 (I mainly use this when I need more on the wide angle end, especially indoors, but since the Tamron covers most of the focal range and is faster throughout most of the range this lens covers, it stays in the bag quite a bit--on the camera about 8% of the time)

Pentax F 50 1.7 (Mainly for low-light indoor stuff, and when I want a nice sharp portrait or macro shot with my closeup filters on it--on the camera about 8% of the time)

JC Penney A 135 2.8 (for when I want a bit more reach and the light is low. This would be great at concerts and such, but I rarely use it)

Pentax F 35-80 4-5.6 (I like this one because it is so light and compact, but very rarely use it, opting for the flexibility and/or speed of the other lenses)

Realistically, when I leave the house and don't want to carry the whole bag, the 28-200 will be on the camera, and I MIGHT have the 18-55 in a pouch attached to my waist, just in case.

Last edited by Meep70; 10-22-2007 at 10:40 AM. Reason: formatting/readability
10-22-2007, 10:36 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
... but I'm doing more with HDR, and a modern lens is almost a must-have to make HDR programs work well.
Why?

From what I've read, you don't do much with the lens other than set the aperture and focus once. You shouldn't do much else because you want to keep the DOF the same for each photo in the HDR series and hence you should keep the aperture the same and only vary the shutter speed. If the lack of aperture in EXIF is a problem there are tools that allow you to change EXIF and anyway, the HDR programs I've tested have asked for exposure details if they are not in the EXIF.

So what else have I missed that you need in a 'modern lens' for HDR?

Richard

11-09-2007, 12:08 PM   #20

Original Poster
What do you think about these??
Pentax 50mm 2.8 smc p d fa macro
Pentax 50mm 1.4
Sigma 50mm 2.8 ex DG

Should I lean toward a prime lens? I like the idea of a true macro 1-1 , but I'm not very knowledgable about the differences. I have been reading some reviews, but would love your opinions.

Thanks again
Shannon
11-09-2007, 12:40 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in reading the posts, there are a couple of issues that need to be sorted out.

first, there is no "good lens for the K100D" all lenses do some specific things well, or at least as they were intended to do for the price. What ever follows is really a recomendation that would work on any camera.

second, and I think someone has posted this before, they don't have the $1,000,000 to purchase the non existant, 1mm-1000mm F1.0 zoom.

so let's break this down a little.

what needs to be set out is, the range of focal lengths.

realistically, you shoud be striving for 10 mm at the widest, and probably 200 mm at the longest end.

Already this has a minimum of 2 lenses,
- either 10-20 (sigma) or 12-24 (Pentax / Tokina) or a few wide angle primes,
- plus something that goes 20-200mm.

Then you need to decide whether one of these wide ratio zooms is really fast enough for your needs.

This gets you into breaking the 20-200mm range down into a minimum of 2 fast zoom lenses
- i.e. from 16-50 to 24-70 f2.8 plus
- something like a 50-135/150 f2.8 or 70-200 F2.8,

Or for more speed, a selection of fast prime lenses (50mm f1.4, etc...)

Macro, you should treat separately, as should be the really long lenses, i.e. 300mm and up, because here you really need to think about what you are going to do with the lens, and unless you are heavily into wildlife, or other types of photography that demand a long lens, you may not actually use it often enough.

You can cover the 10-200mm range with as few as 2 lenses, or as many as 30 depending upon what you want and the size of your budget.

Don't go out and buy everything at once, buy it slowly, look to extend range first, then speed, unless you have a real specific need for one lens.

Over my 25 years of photography, (all pentax) I have collected 6 zooms, 6 prime lenses, 4 teleconverters, a set of extension tubes, a set of close up lenses, and a telescope.

With the exception of 2 zooms one which is an AF zoom and slightly faster than my origonal MF zoom but covering the same focal length, the other is one that I got for $10 just to try an experiment, I have very little cross over in focal lengths between the 4 main zooms.

Prime lenses are longer than 200 mm (i.e. 300 and 400mm) or faster than the zooms at thier focal length (50mm f1.4 and 24mm f2.5), plus one macro lens.
11-09-2007, 12:57 PM   #22

Original Poster
Thank you Lowell,
What a great amount of knowledge you have. I have a 18-55 kit and a tamron 70-300 ,
Maybe I don't need a new lense , maybe I just need to learn my camera better.
I must go back and re-read the whole thread, I couldn't find my post and then realized there was a page 2.... what an idiot, blonde moment I guess

Little Laker,
I live in the Cariboo ,so your a little far away , but what a wonder offer , Thanks

Shannon
11-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by norco5 Quote
Thank you Lowell,
What a great amount of knowledge you have. I have a 18-55 kit and a tamron 70-300 ,
Maybe I don't need a new lense , maybe I just need to learn my camera better.
I must go back and re-read the whole thread, I couldn't find my post and then realized there was a page 2.... what an idiot, blonde moment I guess

Little Laker,
I live in the Cariboo ,so your a little far away , but what a wonder offer , Thanks

Shannon
Don't sell yourself short, but note you may want to go wider, i.e. an ultra wide zoom. That gives you more wide angle range than the kit lens, by quite a bit especially if you like archatecture. This follows the first rule, expand the range.

You also mentioned macro, and you might want to look for a good manual focusl macro lens, AF is not necessairly important with macro because you ll want to pick exactly where the focus point is anyway. This follows the third rule, a special lens, as would a50 mm f 1.4

Think about what you shoot, and all the what if I only had the lens what shots I could get.

For the short term for wild life (espiecally birds) , you can always use your existing zoom plus a flash, if you want faster long lenses bring lots of cash!

11-10-2007, 02:00 AM   #24

I think you would like the pentax 50mm 2.8 macro. I'm still very much in the learning process but of the five lenses I own this one is my favorite.

K100D,18-55kit lens,pentax 50mm/1.4,Tamron 18-250mm,Tokina 19-35mm
11-10-2007, 06:48 AM   #25

seeing as i only have the one lens

i have my Sigma 18-200mm DC 3.5-5.6 on at all times

its pretty good lens