Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DigiMack Quote
I have been using Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries in a K-x since purchase, about 18 months ago, and keep records of battery replacement. Usually I get 700-740 pictures per set, although I did have one set only last for 623 snaps. I think that was because I did an uusual amount of night shooting with long exposures.
I have not compared prices to eneloops, etc. and, of course, I don't take as many snaps as some, so only have to replace batteries every 3-4 weeks.
That is a fraction of what I get with the Energizer Ultimate Lithiums. I usually get over 2,000 clicks and have gotten over 3,000. You might check whether you have the latest firmware. Perhaps you are taking a lot of video or using liveview a good deal. I've just about abandoned my Eneloops for the K-x in favor of the Lithiums, which I buy for less than $2 per battery, though the Eneloops still power my flashes.

03-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ladyle Quote
I love my Kx, but she eats batteries like a Kodak.

I can put in freshly charge and 1 shot ,they are yellow. I must admit, she keeps shooting when it is red.
I was quite surprised with similar behavior by my K-x too. With freshly charged enloops, it starts showing yellow within few shots. But it stays there for about 500-600 shots and then it turns to red. I get about 100-150 shots in red too. So I am not worried as far as I keep a spare set of batteries with me.

I use 1 set of enloops and 1 set of Duracell. Both pre-charged. Don't go for the high capacity 2500+ mAH batteries, they don't last long. I use an old Sony charger which charges each battery individually, which works great. No frills like Maha or La-crosse though.

I'd suggest you go with this charger, it is a "smart" charger and comes with 4 pre-charged batteries.
03-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #18

The eneloops and other 'precharged' batteries such as the powerex etc are great for heavy discharge such as cameras. They come into their own when you put the camera down for a few weeks. When you use these they still have charge.

You will get more shots out of 2700, 2800 etc etg batteries however their internal disharge rates are high (ie they drain power from themselves), so leaving them for 4 weeks in the camera will result in them being almost flat. This is one reason that i ditched them as i needed to charge all sets up prior to use.

I now run 1 set of powerex and 3 sets of kodak precharge. Never had an issue with leaving them charged for periods of time.

One thing to remember also is that rechargeables only output at 1.2v rather than the 1.5 of alkaline etc. this could be the reason the battery level drops quickly. I thought there was a setting to change this in the camera tho? ie you specify what batteries are used.

Thanks

Steve
03-09-2011, 10:22 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by ladyle Quote
Thanks guys. I have 16 Duracell. But not sure they are Duracell "loop" They just Don't last. They work fine in my flash but not in camera. I will investigate the enelooop and a Maha charger C9000 charge. Guess I can't get that at Walmart where I work. No 10% discount. Since almost all of you you suggested eneloop I will try some. I too am looking at the K5 but decided on a new lens for now. Maybe next year after I figure out the camera.

I have std 18-55 std Pentax red, Tokina 105 zoom manual than locks into macro awesome(need to figure out the macro $65) std 70 300 Pentax and tamrom 28-300 new awesome.
At least to me

I also own a Sony 15x h7 and a Fuji pocket. That have a great macro except I need to be too close the the bee or fly, but I have some beautiful pixs from it.
If you work at walmart and want your discount, I remember reading that the Rayovac Hybrids worked as well Sanyo Eneloops. I just did a quick check and it looks like they replaced the Hybrids with two new versions that aren't as good.

03-18-2011, 05:56 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery
I agree with eneloops, but you can find some Duracell with a white top. for $12.00
for 4 batt, there the best cheap price batt I could find.
also find a charger that charge on batt at a time. some cheaper charger will stop charging when the first batt reach 100%.
keep away from fast charging charger, I've tried one then I put the batt into a regular charger to find out they were only charged at 55%
03-18-2011, 06:16 AM   #21

eneloops! Just get them right away. They also have new more powerful ones, but they don't have as many life cycles in them as the original. I have a set of each, and they are great! The only other alternative is lithium AA's, but they are not re-chargeable.
SANYO eneloop | Ready to use Rechargeable Battery - The only battery you will ever need