Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Will lenses perform better on K7 than Kx?

I'm wondering whether a current newer model pentax lens (DA) would generally perform better on a K-7 body than a K-x body. Both are fantastic cameras, but i've read where certain problems with a lens, such as back/front focusing, inaccurate focus disappear on newer model/higher performing pentax bodies. Also, would the focus be quicker and have a higher success rate of focus lock-on in the same low lit scenario with a K-7 body as opposed to the K-x? What are some of the main benefits with using a K-7 over the K-x? (other than a metal body, weather sealing, shots per sec., higher ISO and megapixels)

03-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, AF is faster in K7. Also you get the lens focus adjustment with K7 so if you had a lens that needed adjustment it would definitely be better.
03-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You can AF correct for one lens on the K-x.
03-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Kx has much better sensor compared to K7 according to DxOMark - Sensor rankings

Of all the Pentax dSLRs tested K7 was bottom ranked, while K-x was third best.

03-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting. Do you know why it would autofocus faster? Faster motor? Faster (more powerful) computer?
03-09-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
selar, I would have a bit of a tough time believing that. I've read plenty of times about noise in high ISO pics on the K-7, but is it REALLY worse than the K-x? How could this possibly be?
03-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #7

The only advantage for K-x is the low ISO performance. I felt the K-7 had it beat in every other area and bought it instead. If you plan on taking photos manually, don't overlook the second e-dial on the front of the K-7. It was one of the deciding factors for me.

The only reason I would buy a K-x at this point would be to slap a 40mm limited lens on it and use it as I would a point and shoot for street photography. If you can afford the K-7 though I would be comparing between it and the K-r.

QuoteOriginally posted by outsider Quote
selar, I would have a bit of a tough time believing that. I've read plenty of times about noise in high ISO pics on the K-7, but is it REALLY worse than the K-x? How could this possibly be?
I don't have any problems with the K-7 at 800 ISO. I found that having a faster lens made a big difference in low light. If you are going to need ISO 3200 or higher you might look somewhere else, but the K-7 is an awesome camera and it's ISO performance if over-criticized in my view.
03-09-2011, 08:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nah, I don't think so.

In fact, lenses will give better colors on k-x

03-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #9
Inactive Account

performance of the same lens will be remain same..

if the same lens mounted on different body, so the output will depend on the body's performance..
03-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by outsider Quote
the K7 uses the same sensor as the K20D (ie, old) , the K-X had a brand new sensor

it is in fact better
03-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

In fact K-x is rated better than Leica. I am having a hard time believing that as well.
03-09-2011, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

What does everyone have against the K-x?

I'm a bit mystified. I have one and a K20D, and I still use the K20, but only because I'm more familiar with the controls, and I can't get the K-x away fro my wife. There's certainly nothing wrong with the image quality.
03-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Anyway to answer the original question will lenses perform better on K7, the DXO mark site compares the same lens on different bodies:

DxOMark - Optical Metric Scores

Why do Pentax lenses score so poorly on DXOmark?
03-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I have a K-x as well as recently acquired a lightly used K-7.

My experience so far has been that lenses right out of the shipping package are sharp on the K-x, but require a little adjustment on the K-7.

This applies to Pentax as well as third party lenses.

I attribute it to quality control and sample variation.

YMMV

(Personally I wish the K-7 had the K-x's sensor, but I guess that's what a K-5 must be.)
03-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I don't own either model, but I'm guessing that sample variation would be more significant than other factors.

Paul