Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-x, long movies and sensor damage.

I searched but didnt find much so I am guessing it isnt a problem but I will ask anyway.

Will taking long movies with my K-x damage the sensor in any way?
I took some movies last night, about 15 minutes worth and got a temperature warning. I shut it off immediately. I assume it would have shut down automatically to protect itself.

So, my real question is, does extensive use of the movie feature cause excess wear and tear on my sensor?

03-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i guess the "warming protection" is made to prevent it to happen ...
03-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From what I have read the K-x isn't meant to be used as a full on video camera. It's got that capacity so it can make a quick 5 minute You Tube clip if you want it to. If you're intent upon doing that you probably need an actual video camera.

You know this is yet one more reason that the idea of combining still photo and video in the same camera just doesn't thrill me. People are going to be totally abusing their DSLR cameras, which are still basically made for capturing still shots, and then blaming Pentax because they can't record 2 hours of video with it.

I mean you wouldn't try to do a major video with your camera phone right? 15 minutes of video is actually quite a bit of a challenge for something like a DSLR camera or the camera in a cell phone. More than 5 and I'd be grabbing a video camera, seriously. That's just asking a lot from a device like a K-x I think.
03-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeah. Long term video recording is far from the kx comfort zone. Is it going to damage the camera I dont think it will since the safetys will prevent it but if done consistently the camera may not be able to prevent it.

03-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been using my K-x for alot of video from day one. It's actually quite nice, except for the rolling shutter

The temperature gauge does show up when I shoot alot of video back to back. I've not seen any issues and I'm over 25,000 shots on the camera now and hours of video.
03-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
I've been using my K-x for alot of video from day one. It's actually quite nice, except for the rolling shutter

The temperature gauge does show up when I shoot alot of video back to back. I've not seen any issues and I'm over 25,000 shots on the camera now and hours of video.
Thats good to know.
03-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, it started out to be a 2 to 5 minute shot, turned into 15... I eventually grabbed the real video camera when the thermal overload warning popped up.

Thanks for all the input!

03-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
The temperature gauge does show up when I shoot alot of video back to back. I've not seen any issues and I'm over 25,000 shots on the camera now and hours of video
Which brings to mind a sort of off topic question.
When purchasing a DSLR used, we all want to know the shutter count to help determine the use the camera has had.
Does the shutter count show for video use also?
I would think one 15 min video would have a monumental shutter count if shown.
So, now are we in the position where it may be that just the manual shutter count is recorded?
If so, then could we buy a camera with say 10,000 "clicks" but has been used extensively for video use and that would not be shown?
OK - couple of you out there check the shutter count in PhotoME before and after a multi minute video and let us know.
Thanks
03-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Why would the shutter count increase monumentally with video use? The camera just leaves it open to expose the sensor to light.
03-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
The camera just leaves it open to expose the sensor to light.
Sorry. Upon reflection I guess that was a really dumb question.
I withdraw the question.
03-18-2011, 10:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomK Quote
Sorry. Upon reflection I guess that was a really dumb question.
I withdraw the question.
It wasn't dumb at all. You just seemed to have related frame rates as if each frame was a shutter action. Quite logical in a sense, although it isn't really as basic as that in the digital world -- eg. the K-x can only do 4.7 FPS stills (on one equivalent shutter press), each separate image ticking up a shutter count.

It would be great if we could get that 24 FPS speed in stills, even at the low 1280 × 720 pixels res. (extracting a single frame doesn't cut it, that isn't the same.)

I suppose we can guarantee that it will come, someday.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 03-19-2011 at 05:48 AM.
03-19-2011, 05:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I hear of more and more TV and movies being shot on a DSLR. Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations is now shot on one video camera and two Canon 7d bodies. A friend's son just finished a movie accepted into several film festivals on a Canon 5d.

Perhaps these films and shows take video in smaller bites, or the cameras are more oriented to video. The TV show is never going to need much more than 15minutes at once even in final form, and with editing, 3-5 minutes is probably all that ever goes into a single recording.
03-20-2011, 04:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Gene, thanks for that No Reservations tidbit. One of my favorite shows...

Best,
Kevin
03-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #14

Hypocorism - At 24fps you'd want to be able to save a lot of images, to make it usable....

I have a Fuji HS10, which model has had its "issues" - one of which was that it wouldn't do the Fuji-claimed 5fps of the 5/3fps claimed for RAW. So Fuji had a rush of something to its collective head, and issued firmware update 1.02.

This brought the RAW continuous to about 5.5 and 3fps, but on JPEGs, rather fouled-up the 10/7/5/3fps that the camera had been doing - on the 1.02 firmware, sites test JPEG at a fastest 12.5-13.2fps. And the 7fps is now 8 - 5 and 3fps, as claimed.

However, the camera still only saves 7 images in JPEG - so it zzzaps off all 7 in about a half-second. While this might be useful for humming-bird wings, etc - for most purposes there isn't enough "event duration" to be able to 'select' when you fire that half-second....

Nor is it controllable with the shutter button - at least, in a P&S it isn't. Fire any - you fire all 7. At 8fps you can selectively fire 3-4-5, etc - just. Selecting frame numbers is much easier at 5fps.

So even with the much better DSLR controls - you'd need at 24fps - to be able to save 36-48 frames to get some event-spread...

Dave.
03-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whoa, nice question there. I thought about asking it myself but good thing I found this thread. Well so far I've been recording fireworks displays... most of them like 10+ minutes. Cam functions well up to now.

I just hope it still holds the promise of 100k shutter count after that =))