Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Can I use 4GB cards in my istDS?

I have the latest firmware (2.02). A 4GB SDHC card shows a max of 999 images available when it should be well over 1300. Is this a limitation of the photo counter having only 3 digits available?

03-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
Inactive Account

i noticed the same thing. i have used an 8gb before & it worked fine, just won't know how many frames are left.
glad you posted, haven't been able to find info on this myself (is there a work around??)
03-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe it will show 999 until there is less space available

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
i noticed the same thing. i have used an 8gb before & it worked fine, just won't know how many frames are left.
glad you posted, haven't been able to find info on this myself (is there a work around??)
The workaround is, shoot RAW:

03-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I used an 8G card in my istDl for a while without any problems. It displayed 999 forever as I was shooting jpeg's and that card would hold a shitload of pics at 6mp.
03-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses

At least I know I can use larger cards and start to worry about finding another one when the counter dips below 999.
03-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you should start buying 8GB SDHC cards and shooting in RAW

03-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wait a sec! I can go up to 8GB with an *ist DL? I didn't even think the camera would read anything over 4GB!!! Nice. I'm not sure if I am reading the above posts quite right. Do you still get the pic count when you shoot raw or does it stop at 999? I hardly ever shoot jpeg anymore so I don't care about that, but I'd love to be able to get one 8GB card. I have a 4GB, a couple of 2GB, and a couple of 1GB cards, but I have one slot in the memory card holder left and I wouldn't mind an 8GB card put in there at all! I did update my firmware, but I thought you had to stop at 4GB?
03-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
magkelly:

My wife uses an 8GB card in her *istD, & I use one in my K100D, no problem. Only thing is if you're shooting jpgs, since the display is limited to 3 digits, you're stuck at 999 until you take enough photos (I think somewhere around 300) to lower what's left on the card below 999.
03-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That is awesome. Thanks. Normally I buy my cards on Amazon but I don't have time to do that now before my trip. Office Depot has a couple of the 8GB ones on sale for less than $15 this week anyway so I may just swing by there and grab me one. I'd nearly double my card space that way, just in time to go do work-study and play tourist. Hmmm, that sounds FUN...
03-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent news. I have been using 4Gb cards in my DS believing that that this was the maximum size I could use. Nice to know that my frame counter will not max out as I nearly always shoot RAW.
03-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The maximum size card you can use with your camera should simply be the maximum size of the standard.

If you know your camera can use an SDHC card for example, then the maximum size you can put is 32GB (because thats the limit they imposed on that standard).
03-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Wait a sec! I can go up to 8GB with an *ist DL? I didn't even think the camera would read anything over 4GB!!! Nice. I'm not sure if I am reading the above posts quite right. Do you still get the pic count when you shoot raw or does it stop at 999? I hardly ever shoot jpeg anymore so I don't care about that, but I'd love to be able to get one 8GB card. I have a 4GB, a couple of 2GB, and a couple of 1GB cards, but I have one slot in the memory card holder left and I wouldn't mind an 8GB card put in there at all! I did update my firmware, but I thought you had to stop at 4GB?
My photo above is my DS with an 8Gb card. With the latest firmware, the DS and DL should be fully SDHC compliant. I have never used a larger card than 8Gb because I don't have one. I think the DS2 and DL2 came with SDHC firmware but they should be upgradeable if not. The D used CF cards and I think the standard was already designed for very large cards.

My cards vary a bit about the max RAW count, all over 720. I never fill one anyway, and you'd have to have some awesome batteries to last as long as the 8Gb card.

Although these cameras are pretty slow, they can be dragged down by a slow card. My original Eye-Fi 2Gb was clearly slow. A class 4 is OK, though, and should be a reasonable price.
03-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I actually got lucky today and picked up an 8GB San Disk extreme at my local Office Depot for $10. It was marked down on clearance because they are getting rid of that size I guess. I actually got the last one in the store. That's about as high as I want to go for one card I think. I prefer using several smaller cards versus one larger one. With this one I've got more than enough GB's to suit my needs for now.