Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have family members that have Nikon. they like their choice . We discuss the pro and cons of each brand ,tho not really trying to change each others mind. That is how we learn thru discussions. In the end we both like the options of ,and the feel of our brand.
I chose Pentax because it fits my hand like an old glove and does exactly what I want. Tho it is missing some of the newer models capabilities. My next one will take care of that. It will more than likely be another Pentax

Last edited by patrick9; 03-20-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: finished it. had to leave earlier
03-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm a photographer first and then a Pentaxian by choice. (I like Yashica too.) If Pentax stopped making DSLR's I suppose I'd likely end up with a Nikon. I'd prefer that to Canon, but that's not important.

I'm of the mind that having a good camera (or two) that you're comfortable with is very important to your progress as a photographer. I also believe that if a photographer ultimately can't use any camera but his or her preferred one, can't shoot with anything that's not 100% what they are used to, then that's probably not ultimately going to be a good thing for them.

I don't believe in limiting myself. If I ever found a Nikon that I liked as well as I like my Pentax cameras (and could afford it) I'd likely add it to my kit and get/adapt some lenses for it. Why not? A good camera is a good camera.

I wouldn't give up my Pentax gear to do that, though.

I'd just shoot both, that's all.

Given I am going pro sooner or later I probably will have at least 2, maybe 3 DSLR's eventually anyway. It's more practical for me to keep them all Pentax but down the road I may need something with more capacity than even a K-5 can give me. Who knows?

I don't actually anticipate that, but you never know. Life interferes with the best laid plans. I do plan on doing mostly studio work but if something good came up in terms of high end travel photography or nature work, I certainly wouldn't turn it down even if doing so meant using something other than a Pentax sometimes.

I just can't afford to be TOO snotty about my camera preference.
03-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #18

When I decided to start shooting my own stuff I needed to make a decision between Canon, Nikon or Pentax. The thing that swayed me to Pentax was the consistent high praise it got for any number of different reasons but what struck me was the ability to swap out any lens from 30-years ago to today.

I have gradually built up the specific lenses I needed (about $4.5K worth now) and as I am learning (thanks to some people here ) I am seeing why this brand not suits ME. Believe me when I tell you my learning curve is a straight line and when I have questions to ask other photographers at a game, no one can help me directly because they all have "the brands" like Canon. I feel like a duck out of water surrounded by the so-called industry standard but that's okay. I like being different anyway.

Simply put, I am glad I went Pentax.
03-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Do I like not being part of a Canon-Nikon-Sony-Olympus 'herd'?
Is "Olympus" a herd? I think I've seen less people with Olympus dslr's then Pentax.

Those Olympus water proof point and shoot jobs are another matter entirely...

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
What, I'm not a proud flag-waving Pentaxian? Shoot me now...
I'm not proud either. I mean, it's something I bought, anyone with enough cash can accomplish this feat of Pentax ownership.

I went Pentax because at the time the k100d came out it had (imo) the best feature set for the money (Olympus e4/5xx close behind). I'm very happy with it, and have since picked up enough Pentax lenses and other junk that I don't see switching or adding another brand as something I'll do anytime soon. It just wouldn't make sense $$ wise to move to another brand I'd probably be just as happy with but in possibly different ways (and have different things to be annoyed with).

If money were no object I would definitely buy a honking big Canon or Nikon which can do something no Pentax can, attach to a sigma 200-500mm f/2.8, which doesn't come in a Pentax mount. This is what I feel is really holding my back in Pentax land.

03-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I bought my first slr I was limited to Olympus ,Minolta and Pentax. Only ones available in that area in my price range. The store had put together a kit using The Pentax K1000 and two lenses. They put the Pentax on a promo sale. I felt that the extra lens made the Pentax a better deaL tho I had never heard of them. I was looking for a new hobby as my other had become my career. It still is. photography is still a hobby and will stay that way. Thus with the lens exchange capabilities of Pentax I see no reason to change brands. I would like some advances made since I bought my last camera, [ist DL],like shake reduction as I do street and walking trails a lot which means hand held shots.
I enjoy talking about my Pentax's, but also enjoy listening to others on the brands they use. I did not know Olympus made a DSLR ,they are like Pentax around here (not in the stores). That is the biggest problem I have with Pentax . As I start looking for my upgrade I like to feel the camera in my hands for weight ,balance,button arrangement ,etc. Things that are hard to do over computer.The other problem is the one taking the photos behind the camera. I am not where I want to be in quality. I have so much to learn and relearn I still feel I made the right choice in the begining