Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2007, 07:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FF sensor / lenses?

So, with all the speculation about Pentax upping the ante with a full frame sensor camera, where are the lenses to support it? The DA lenses are designed specifically for APS-C and when these lenses are slapped on a 35mm (FF) camera they often create bad vingetting etc. So, if a FF is due to come, where are the supporting lenses?

10-22-2007, 07:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
So, with all the speculation about Pentax upping the ante with a full frame sensor camera, where are the lenses to support it? The DA lenses are designed specifically for APS-C and when these lenses are slapped on a 35mm (FF) camera they often create bad vingetting etc. So, if a FF is due to come, where are the supporting lenses?
Good point. The recently published lens roadmap tells us we do not have to worry about useless D lenses in the near future.

- Bert
10-22-2007, 08:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The supporting lenses are in the speculating that Pentax has a "hidden agenda" for 24x36 development and that they are ready to roll out a complete lineup of newly developed D FA 24x36 lenses soon, they just have to "hit the button" and it will all be manufactured and delivered soon...

The production problems of the pre-announced DA lenses (DA Star 60-250 f/4, 300, 200 f/2.8, 17-70, 50-300, DA 35 f/2.8 Limited, DA Star 55 f/1.4 SDM etc) is just "smoke and mirrors" to confuse Nikon and Canon so no one will believe in a 24x36 FF from Pentax.

Honestly, Pentax has used a new spage-ace secret holographic technique to hide their new lens production plant for 24x36 lenses, froom 700 yards it actually looks like the country house of the chief designer, complete with outdoor pool and restroom for guests.

10-22-2007, 08:37 AM   #4
and
Veteran Member

I think pentax made a decision when they dropped DFA. In the beginning they were holding the door open for FF by having DFA lenses and DA lenses. Some DA* particularly the long primes were originally DFA on the roadmap but everything was changed to DA. only the macros are DFA now. I think if they had an FF plan then they would make the longer teles DFA.

10-22-2007, 09:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe everyone will quit with the Pentax Full-Frame sensor nonsense now. It ain't happening anytime soon. Get over it.
10-23-2007, 01:28 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Three years, is my bet.
10-23-2007, 01:40 AM   #7
and
Veteran Member

I think an important point in FF evolution will be when the 40D and D300 are due for replacement, I am guessing in 2 years, maybe up to 3. By then it will be interesting to see if either of the replacements will get a bigger sensor. If they do, then Pentax will no longer have a choice imo.

In the nearer future, I expect canon to renew the 5D and I think they might cut the price, if they can save a few hundred off the price then the price will come close to the nikon d300. The d300 may beat the 40D, but the 40D is cheaper and if they put a FF improved 5D against the d300 then that will be quite a potent answer. the d300 will have better AF system and more FPS but IQ and noise will go to the new 5D.

I wonder what sony will do in the meantime... why are they so slow...

10-23-2007, 02:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

In my opinion all those speculations about 35mm format Pentax DSLR have no real base at all. Someone took some posts from some Chinese forum and here we go: now everyone talks about 35mm Pentax DSLR.

Anyone who is able to use it's own head will understand that Pentax can't bring out 35mm DSLR because Pentax doesn't produce lenses which will work on such DSLR. Also 35mm format sensor will eliminate one of the main selling points of Pentax DSLR's: built in Shake Reduction.
10-24-2007, 02:49 PM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
..... Also 35mm format sensor will eliminate one of the main selling points of Pentax DSLR's: built in Shake Reduction.
Is there any specific reason why one could not put SR system on so called FF sensor?!?
Anyway, I don't believe FF Pentax will happen, anytime soon.
and btw, I'd rather see 645D, a potent answer for improved 5D (if it'll come) 1D Mk III and Nikon D3 imo
but that's just my wish
10-24-2007, 08:22 PM   #10

If Pentax offer a ff, it has to be msrp at most $us1,500, otherwise it wont sell. Hmmm, wondering what a $us1,500 would offer??????
10-25-2007, 07:57 AM   #11
Inactive Account

OP wrote : "So, with all the speculation about Pentax upping the ante with a full frame sensor camera, where are the lenses to support it? "

Tom, the proper question at this point might better be where are the darn lenses to support the new bodies that Pentax has allready put on the market? So far they have had a less than stellar performance when it comes to lens production. A camera company with new bodies out and no lenses in production is a sorry sight to see.
I really wish they would get their heads out of their collective bums and get these lenses in (real full blown) production more than anything else at this point.
Kenn
10-26-2007, 07:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

So much pessimism

Actually I am of the opinion Pentax will come out with a FF camera much sooner rather than later. If Pentax wanted a range of FF lenses, it could simply resurrect and retool/redesign many of the discontinued FA series of lenses (update the lens coatings and add in SDM) and they would all be usable with the larger sensor.

The delay in the rollout of the lenses in the lens road map is perhaps an indication that with the prospect of FF sensors being available in the near future, the lenses on the roadmap would be redesigned with a larger image circle to accommodate a FF sensor. And honestly I don't see why SR cannot be incorporated into a FF sensor.
10-26-2007, 07:16 AM   #13
and
Veteran Member

APS-H could be an option as well.
10-26-2007, 07:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why would you come out with a weather-sealed body and no weather-sealed lenses?!?!

Wait a minute...

</stirs the pot>
10-26-2007, 08:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You'll see FF, just not in the 35mm/DSLR format.. You'll have it when the 645D rolls out. And my guess, considering that in 2005 the 645D was scheduled to have a Kodak 18.6MP sensor, it will be something larger, like maybe 25MP or so.. Gunning for Hassleblad and, will be for the commercial studio folks. Expect uber-expensive lenses to go with this $6k - $10k or so beast.. Backward compatible with current 645N AF lenses though, so expect those ebay lenses to skyrocket in price after the release - K10D all over again.