Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2007, 01:16 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use two WB caps for different lenses on K10D and *istD. On the K10D I add +3 Amber to get true WB in comparison to a Digital White Card. Works well, is so easy to use and doubles as a lens cap.

Take Care

David

04-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #17

I bought one too the other day from a ebay seller, in 2 sizes.
Still I cannot not work with them. Even not when I follow the instructions. The camera cannot focus (AF/M) with the cap on, on Manual WB Still I like to be able to use it.
04-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by demoleman Quote
I bought one too the other day from a ebay seller, in 2 sizes.
Still I cannot not work with them. Even not when I follow the instructions. The camera cannot focus (AF/M) with the cap on, on Manual WB Still I like to be able to use it.
You don't have to focus. Turn the camera to manual focus with the W/B cap in place and then just use the FN menu and follow what it says. Works real well.
04-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by joelw135 Quote
You don't have to focus. Turn the camera to manual focus with the W/B cap in place and then just use the FN menu and follow what it says. Works real well.
Thanks. But what to follow in the "fn"menu which only gives me the dial and options. Using the Manual WB the results are "NG"I suppose it means "Not Good"?

04-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I bought one of those inexpensive cap off Ebay and it works very well. Later on I tried with a piece of plastic that cut off from a milk jug and the results came out exactly as used with that cap.
To do the WBM, you set camera to MF, press Fn, go to WB, scroll down to White Balance Manual, press right on 4-way controller, hold that cap to cover all of the front lens, press shutter release button same as taking picture, click OK, OK, OK to get ready to take picture. (Remember to set camera back to AF from MF)
04-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
I bought one of those inexpensive cap off Ebay and it works very well. Later on I tried with a piece of plastic that cut off from a milk jug and the results came out exactly as used with that cap.
To do the WBM, you set camera to MF, press Fn, go to WB, scroll down to White Balance Manual, press right on 4-way controller, hold that cap to cover all of the front lens, press shutter release button same as taking picture, click OK, OK, OK to get ready to take picture. (Remember to set camera back to AF from MF)
Others use white coffee filters to set the white balance. I only shoot RAW so I just turn on AWB and fix it in post processing. I have sometimes used the Tungsten setting on the camera to save one step in post, but then I forget to put it back and fix a whole bunch of other shots.
04-12-2008, 12:45 AM   #22

I discovered the other day that the translucent white body cap that comes on the front of your Pentax SLR also works perfectly for this! Just hold it in front of your lens, set manual w/b, get perfect colors!

04-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by proudtoshootpentax Quote
I discovered the other day that the translucent white body cap that comes on the front of your Pentax SLR also works perfectly for this! Just hold it in front of your lens, set manual w/b, get perfect colors!
Now, that IS creative! Well done. And I have several of them lying around, too.
04-12-2008, 03:10 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Yes, that translucent white body cap works too. But I don't use it because I want to keep it new , I have only one, so.
04-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Others use white coffee filters to set the white balance. I only shoot RAW so I just turn on AWB and fix it in post processing. I have sometimes used the Tungsten setting on the camera to save one step in post, but then I forget to put it back and fix a whole bunch of other shots.
I sometimes on Friday evening, taking pictures of my kids in the house, so used MWB, and on Saturday morning I take the kids to the park and then forget to set back on AWB when taking their pics, and end up knocking my head when looking at the images on computer when get home.
04-13-2008, 11:06 PM   #26

But the camera is displaying the results like I mentioned in my case "N G" (Not Good) Hm, now I got an "OK"
These MWB is stored when the camera is set off?

Who has an example with and without the filter, and under what conditions?

Last edited by demoleman; 04-13-2008 at 11:15 PM.
04-14-2008, 02:31 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Hi Demoleman, the MWB is stored when the camera is set off.

My house has a mix lighting with fluorescents and tungstens and those "energy saving" bulbs, there is none of the camera WB preset can give a correct white balance, especially skin tone. then I always have to use MWB when shooting indoor, even during daytime I still find using it give me pleasing color images. When taking shots out side during daytime I use AWB.

Here I include 3 images that were taken moment ago. The first one (yellowish/brownish) with AWB, the second one is MWB with the plastic piece from the milk jug, and the third is MWB with the cap bought from Ebay. I don't have coffee filter though. All three are JPEG straight out from camera, imported to LR, resized to upload, not any other adjustment.

Last edited by Ken T; 04-28-2008 at 12:23 AM.
04-14-2008, 06:21 AM   #28

Hi Demoleman, the MWB is stored when the camera is set off.

My house has a mix lighting with fluorescents and tungstens and those "energy saving" bulbs, there is none of the camera WB preset can give a correct white balance, especially skin tone. then I always have to use MWB when shooting indoor, even during daytime I still find using it give me pleasing color images. When taking shots out side during daytime I use AWB.

Here I include 3 images that were taken moment ago. The first one (yellowish/brownish) with AWB, the second one is MWB with the plastic piece from the milk jug, and the third is MWB with the cap bought from Ebay. I don't have coffee filter though. All three are JPEG straight out from camera, imported to LR, resized to upload, not any other adjustment.
Great. But with what light do I take a photo on MWB I mean focussing aimed to oudoor isn't the problem. But can I use those setrting indoor too. Because I cannot make a photo when having low light and the cap on.
04-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by demoleman Quote
Great. But with what light do I take a photo on MWB I mean focussing aimed to oudoor isn't the problem. But can I use those setrting indoor too. Because I cannot make a photo when having low light and the cap on.
One quick shortcut for MWB is to place your palm in the light that you want to balance for and take the reading off your palm. It should be about 15% gray and will be reasonably close if you are in a tight spot.

I also take MWB off the center rather than the whole frame.
04-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by proudtoshootpentax Quote
i thought everyone did this. I've been using this method since day one of owning my k100. That or going to home depot and taking gray sample cards from their paint section...