Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hope to get my K10D this week!!

Well I was wondering what would be the best accessories to buy when I go my my Pentax K10D which I hope to this week if my budget goes as planned!! Is this going to be a good camera to travel with?? Well I hope that this week I can go get it

10-22-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on your purchase first of all.Second,you never mentioned which lens are you getting with K10D as a kit .
Now when comes down to accessories it's a never ending story,it goes from camera bags,lenses,memory cards,batteries,external flash,tripod's just to mention few

Good luck with your camera and post some pictures soon

Alefone
10-22-2007, 04:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many will say the K10D is heavy compared to the other models but it's really only a little heavier. Not something to worry about in my book. As for a travel camera, that depends. If you mean going to Europe then maybe, maybe not. The K100D (super) can take AA batteries which could be a life saver. But the charger for the K10D says 240 v 50Hz, so it should be fine anywhere. The K10D is weather resistant so would be better in a humid climate (going to any jungles?) and the body is tougher.

If you mean travelling to your local zoo or a trip to New York, then there's not much difference other than slightly larger. An extra battery would be a must and you should get 1000 images with 2 batteries.

Depending on the budget, then the Kit lens is a steal as a bundle and don't forget the rebate going on. If you want sharper, then consider the 16-45. But for the small price the 18-55 and 50-200 kit lenses are a great way to get started and many owners (including me) like the kit lenses. Light (good for travel), small, reasonable speed and very good picture quality.
10-22-2007, 07:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
(snip) As for a travel camera, that depends. If you mean going to Europe then maybe, maybe not. The K100D (super) can take AA batteries which could be a life saver. But the charger for the K10D says 240 v 50Hz, so it should be fine anywhere. (snip)

Hey, things not entirely backwards over here in Europe, Peter. The K10D's battery is fairly common and can often be found in most department stores with a decently stocked camera section, as well as most regular camera stores. However, to avoid any search for a battery (even one this easy to find), I'd always suggest bringing a spare.

The charger for the K10D works fine anywhere in the world with only a proper plug adapter required (not a power converter, just an adapter to fit the plug into the wall outlets used in the visited country). In the USA, plug adapters to fit most wall outlets around the world can be purchased at nearly all Radio Shack stores, as well as Circuit City and similar stores. You can also often find plug adapters at many office supply stores catering to traveling businessmen, such as Office Depot and OfficeMax. Finally, if all else fails, one can easily find the plug adapters at the stores inside any international airport. However, they often tend to cost much more are the airports.

stewart

10-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #5
Inactive Account

also a new K10d user

Well not quite a K10d user yet, mine should be here any day now. The rebates made it attractive. I jumped ship from N*kon because the K10d just offer more for a better price. This will take me back to my roots - started the training rolling with a K1000.

I did not get the kit lens - I am leaning towards the Sigma 18-50 F2.8.

Peace.
10-22-2007, 07:59 PM   #6

Awesome buy i was playing around with one this weekend at the local ritz camera Such a comfy camera! Im getting my Ist* DS soon i cant wait either!
10-22-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Hey, things not entirely backwards over here in Europe, Peter.
stewart
Sorry Stewart, I didn't mean to offend. I was just thinking that if I were traveling to Europe or Africa, Asia etc which body would I bring? Since I have the choice it would most likely be my K110D. because if I had any issues with batteries AA's are everywhere and the Pentax K10D battery is a dedicated one. I was in Greece years ago and my LX batteries died. Thank god I had spares because I couldn't find a replacement set till we got to Athens a week later. Not too many camera shops in those little villages.

10-22-2007, 10:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

And you most certainly didn't offend, Peter. Just wanted to set the record straight to avoid possible misunderstandings by others.

stewart