Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kingston SD cards

My old man just rang me and told me he bought a Kingston 16Gb class 10 SD card for $55 from a local dealer. Which I think is pretty good considering the sandisk extreme III (class 10) 16gb is $145 localy.

Are these Kingston cards anygood?

03-17-2011, 12:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Kingston 16Gb class 10 SD card appears to be good so far (I've been using it in my K-5, along with smaller capacity SanDisk Extreme III cards). I was fortunate enough to pay only $28 for it when it was on sale at Fry's (about 1/2 hour away from me). But I know from my trip to Brisbane and Noosa a couple of years ago how your prices are, so it sounds reasonable compared to our normal price of around US$42. I'm waiting for the next sale, when I'll probably pick up another one or two.

Last edited by DSims; 03-17-2011 at 12:48 AM.
03-17-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I only have older Kingston cards. Never had problems with them.

btw: how do you find out what "class" the cards are?
03-17-2011, 01:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I only have older Kingston cards. Never had problems with them.

btw: how do you find out what "class" the cards are?
The class rating is normally identified on the sticker of the SD card, normally on the front area. Some manufacturers don't use class but use "X" rating instead like 40X for example.

Have a look here

03-17-2011, 06:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I only use Sandisk, never had a problem. I understand despite the class rating that now all cards of the same class perform equally, but I donīt understand why.
03-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I only use Sandisk, never had a problem. I understand despite the class rating that now all cards of the same class perform equally, but I donīt understand why.
It is not necessarily true that all the cards of the same class perform the same.

The SanDisk Extreme 30Mb/s edition for example is significantly faster than most class 10 - where most of them do about 20Mb/s Read max.

The SD class rating applies to the Write Speeds -
which is the bit that is important when it comes to performance in camera
Class 10 merely specs that the card 's minimum Write speed has to be 10Mb/s. Most class 10 cards test out a bit below that -
since the test conditions on each person's computer, USB ports and reader may be different.

Whether the slight speed differences in Class 10 cards (Class 6 for that matter) used in our Pentax dSLRs is practically significant - is a matter of conjecture.

They all work fine - whether there is any performance difference may be real or in one's imagination - I understand Pentax dSLRs use buffering for image/video capture so the write speed to the card is unlikely to affect the performance - but may affect the lag after the buffer is full - as evidenced by using too slow a card (like the lowest class 2) for HD video.

Class 10 SDHC cards are now pretty common and they can be as low as about $25 for 16Gb from reputable brands - like Transcend, Wintec, RiData, Patriot, AData.

BTW - Kingston is a very reputable memory manufacturer - in fact a lot of USB flash drives sold under lots of brand names are made by Kingston.

All cards at some time or other have had horror stories/reviews -
even SanDisk is not immune -
think of it this way - if a particular card is that unreliable
- would it really continued to be sold in large quantities through reputable vendors like B&H, Adorama, NewEgg?

eg: I recall AData SDHC cards getting real horror stories in Amazon reviews - and I do not doubt those - but now the 16Gb AData Class 10 SDHC is a " Customer Choice Award Winner " at NewEgg - go figure......

Anyway it is still worthwhile reading user's reports at places like NewEgg - where most of the lower prices are found.

The sweet spot right now is between 8Gb ($12.50) and 16Gb ($25) -
unless one is shooting video on the dSLR it would seem to me that 16Gb may be overkill in size for still photography.

Last edited by UnknownVT; 03-18-2011 at 01:00 AM.
03-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
MJL
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
My old man just rang me and told me he bought a Kingston 16Gb class 10 SD card for $55 from a local dealer. Which I think is pretty good considering the sandisk extreme III (class 10) 16gb is $145 localy.

Are these Kingston cards anygood?
I use mostly Kingston cards (CF & SD) and USB drive for many years as they are very reliable. Speed wise, however, I find their 16G Class 10 SD wasn't any faster than their 8G Class 6 in my K5. The Sandisk Extreme III is the fastest among the SD cards I have.
03-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote

Whether the slight speed differences in Class 10 cards (Class 6 for that matter) used in our Pentax dSLRs is practically significant - is a matter of conjecture.

They all work fine - whether there is any performance difference may be real or in one's imagination - I understand Pentax dSLRs use buffering for image/video capture so the write speed to the card is unlikely to affect the performance - but may affect the lag after the buffer is full - as evidenced by using too slow a card (like the lowest class 2) for HD video..
Hi Vincent,

While I agree with most of your post, I will respectfully disagree with these two paragraphs.

I shoot birds, primarily in jpeg, and performance is of relatively high priority for me. I rarely shoot long bursts, so buffer fill/clear is not one of my priorities, but I do chimp quite a bit, so write speed has been an issue -- with the larger file size of the 14 and 16 MP sensors, there is much less delay between taking a shot and having it available for review on the LCD with a faster card .

When I went from the K10 to K20, I noticed that there was a considerable difference in review delay (chimping lag) when I bought some 4 GB Transcend Class 6 cards for their larger capacity over the 1GB 133x (@ 20 MB/s) cards I had been using with the K10. The Transcend Class 6 cards were frustratingly slow -- taking over twice as long to finish writing to the card.

After some informal and admittedly "unscientific" tests, I estimated the write speed of the K10 and K20 at somewhere around 16-18 MB/s. This was confirmed by a number of other users on different fora who did more formal tests, so I consider it pretty accurate. The K-7 and K-5 exhibit about the same spec according to my seat-of-the-pants experience, and this too seems to be confirmed by others who were mainly concerned with buffer fill/clear speeds.

The "Class X" system of rating write speed for cards is inadequate for top DSLR performance since the fastest throughput speeds of SD capable bodies seems to be about 18-20 MB/s and the Class system is just now getting to Class 16. Those concerned with getting top performance should seek cards with 20MB/s continuous write speeds, regardless of "Class" rating. Write speed of the hardware seems to be the limiting factor with Pentax DSLRs to this point, and it seems to be somewhere around 18 MB/sec. I'm hoping that Pentax models in the future will be optimized to take advantage of the UHS feature that will be available in SDXC cards since it seems that the MP race has not seen its often predicted end, and file sizes keep getting larger.

My choice when I discovered this card write speed bottleneck was the Sandisk Extreme III Class 6 (20MB/s) 4GB. At the time, these were the only ones that stated an actual continuous write speed spec beyond the totally inadequate "at least XMB/s" that had then been established as the speed standard. I have since become a bit disgruntled with the brand as I have had two of these cards (which commanded a premium price) fail due to the locking tab falling out which prevents writing to the cards. At least one other user has experienced the same thing with this card.

I did a little research and found that the Class 10 16 GB Transcend Ultimate and Adata were both fast and pretty reliable according to users, so I bought one of each of these, in addition to an 8GB Transcend Ultimate Class 10. The 16 GB cards were $28.99 and $24.99 respectively and the 8GB was $12.49, all with free shipping from Newegg. I haven't had them very long, but all these cards seem to perform at least as well as the Extreme III (20MB/s) cards that they are replacing, and all carry a lifetime warranty (as did the Sandisks -- wouldn't buy a card that doesn't)

Bottom line, if speed is important for less chimping lag, burst mode and buffer fill/clear performance, or even download time to the computer, look for a reliable card that will give you at least 20 MB/s continuous write speeds. I personally believe that more is overkill, but YMMV. I only buy cards with lifetime warranties. The reality is that most Pentax shooters don't need top write speed cards, and any reliable brand will do.

Just my 2Ē. . .

Scott

03-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
when I bought some 4 GB Transcend Class 6 cards for their larger capacity over the 1GB 133x (@ 20 MB/s) cards I had been using with the K10. The Transcend Class 6 cards were frustratingly slow -- taking over twice as long to finish writing to the card.
Could it even be remotely possible that your one single sample of the class 6 4Gb Transcend was sub-par -
since your other cards including the older 133x (which can only be read speed) seem to work fine?

I am not for a moment doubting your experience with your one sample
and I am sure you would not have bought another to try after that experience
(I would not be that silly either)
so we are talking of a sample of one.

But if one checks out the user feedback at Newegg -
not that it gets off unscathed - but it seems overwhelmingly favorable
with one review claiming " An 158MB file copied to the flash card in 17 seconds -- that 's more like 9MB/sec rather than the rated class 6 6MB/sec. So, a good performer. "

Amazon's 2,909 user reviews also seems overwhelmingly favorable gathering 4 stars - but obviously with anything that has nearly 3,000 reviews there are bound to be some that are not so favorable.
one user's test: " My Test Results 18.2-18.5MB/S Read - 11.6-11.8 Write (very stable) " - this makes it faster than the class 10 specs.

It seems the majority are happy with the 4Gb Transcend class 6 with a lot claiming it is fast with test results......

So may be your sample of one?

Last edited by UnknownVT; 03-17-2011 at 04:58 PM.
03-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been using Transcend's card which is currently $27: Amazon.com: Transcend 16 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card TS16GSDHC10E: Electronics
03-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Could it even be remotely possible that your one single sample of the class 6 4Gb Transcend was sub-par -
since your other cards including the older 133x (which can only be read speed) seem to work fine?

I am not for a moment doubting your experience with your one sample
and I am sure you would not have bought another to try after that experience
(I would not be that silly either)
so we are talking of a sample of one.

But if one checks out the user feedback at Newegg -
not that it gets off unscathed - but it seems overwhelmingly favorable
with one review claiming " An 158MB file copied to the flash card in 17 seconds -- that 's more like 9MB/sec rather than the rated class 6 6MB/sec. So, a good performer. "

Amazon's 2,909 user reviews also seems overwhelmingly favorable gathering 4 stars - but obviously with anything that has nearly 3,000 reviews there are bound to be some that are not so favorable.
one user's test: " My Test Results 18.2-18.5MB/S Read - 11.6-11.8 Write (very stable) " - this makes it faster than the class 10 specs.

It seems the majority are happy with the 4Gb Transcend class 6 with a lot claiming it is fast with test results......

So may be your sample of one?
Hi Vincent,

I actually have two of these cards -- bought them at the same time. . . so it might be a sub-standard lot, but it's pretty irrelevant. I did state that I "I bought some 4 GB Transcend Class 6 cards" in my original post. I stated that I agree with most of your post and only differed with the quoted statements then tried to expain why.

9MB/s is actually pretty consistent with my guesstimate of twice the write time with a possible 18+MB/s capabliltiy from the hardware. Even 12MB/s would have been at least 1.5x slower and unacceptable for what I was looking for. Since write times are at least somewhat dependent on the hardware, I'd say that 8-9 MB/s are probably a good estimate for Pentax DSLRs with this card.

8-9 MB/sec would be more than satisfactory for Portrait work, still life, landscape, architecture, and the subjects that the vast majority of Pentax shooters primarily photograph. I stated this in my post, and have no illusions that I use my Pentax DSLRs in any way similar to the vast majority of Pentax shooters. There was a post here a while back about the most disliked genre of photography by members here, and IIRC, Wildlife and/or Birds ranked #1 easily. . . and there's a current thread where a number of members sound off about how Nature and Wildlife shots are boring and inconsequential -- each to his own. . .

I shoot birds, using jpegs, and I shoot opportunistically, as the birds appear, so there are a lot of greatly varying lighting conditions. I shoot backlit against the sky, in direct sunlight, in deep shadow, and sometimes in combinations of any two or all three -- most of the time in quick succession, and with subjects that are sometimes difficult to meter (dark bodies with small white or yellow patches). I shoot with long teles (300-714mm), mostly handheld at small subjects, so spot metering is not an option. I'm constantly changing ISO, Av, and Ev comp for the varying conditions, so chimping is a tool I use to confirm my guesstimates for the settings I've chosen for a given situation. If I guess wrong, I can prevent myself from blowing a whole series of shots of a once-in-a-lifetime species, or at least add to my experience for the next time I encounter similar conditions with a given body. The ability to review a shot has to happen quickly since the birds aren't inclined to wait for me. . . the additional time it takes to wait for a slow card means missed shots, especially since I have to reacquire the subject and refocus. When the birds come frequently, multiply the missed shots by the number of opportunities that present.

4 and 5 star ratings are not inconsistent with my findings. For a Class 6 card with expectations of 6MP/s write times, the Transcend Class 6's outperform spec, and I have no doubt that those who only require this kind of speed are more than satisfied. In no way did I mean to imply that the Transcend cards are junk which seems to be what you have gotten from my post. -- I was just relating in my usual wordy way my experience with SD cards in my Pentax DSLRs; why I chose them, what I wanted from them, and how they worked from my perspective and for my purposes.

At the time, they were in the highest speed class available, and I bought them because I had used Transcends before and had confidence in the brand. When I found I was frustrated with the chimping lag, I sought something faster, and the Sandisks were the only ones at the time whose mfg stated spec matched the 133x cards that I had been using without the speed frustration.

Please note that I recently chose Transcend Class 10 8GB and 16GB cards to replace the Sandisks, and I got the Adata to try out. . .

Scott
03-18-2011, 12:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I actually have two of these cards -- bought them at the same time. . . so it might be a sub-standard lot, but it's pretty irrelevant. I did state that I "I bought some 4 GB Transcend Class 6 cards" in my original post.
Sorry, my bad, I missed that

9MB/s is actually pretty consistent with my guesstimate of twice the write time with a possible 18+MB/s capabliltiy from the hardware. Even 12MB/s would have been at least 1.5x slower and unacceptable for what I was looking for. Since write times are at least somewhat dependent on the hardware, I'd say that 8-9 MB/s are probably a good estimate for Pentax DSLRs with this card.
At the time, they were in the highest speed class available, and I bought them because I had used Transcends before and had confidence in the brand. When I found I was frustrated with the chimping lag, I sought something faster, and the Sandisks were the only ones at the time whose mfg stated spec matched the 133x cards that I had been using without the speed frustration.
Please note that I recently chose Transcend Class 10 8GB and 16GB cards to replace the Sandisks, and I got the Adata to try out. . .

I think we may be talking at cross-purposes and missing.
eg: I thought a 9Mb/s write was fast for any Class 6 SDHC
- whereas you think that is slow .

Most "fast" cards are fast on Read like 18Mb/s some as high as 30Mb/s like the SanDisk -
but the write speeds are normally noticeably slower.

I am not too sure if there are any SDHC cards that can manage 18Mb/s Write speed
- most of the fastest ones only just make the class 10 classification - ie: 10Mb/s Write.

There is a site that collects USB flashdrive test speeds - I realize it's not SDHC - but it is the same flash technology - and one can see Read speeds are substantially faster than Write speeds, and very few indeed can manage 18Mb/s - most of them are in the 6Mb/s (class 6 equivalent) - many are much slower -
this is the same technology, and again thousands of independent test results -

eg: Corsair Voyager USB flash drive one of the most highly rated
the test results for the Corsair Voyager sorted by write speed
even the highest/fastest is still below 8Mb/s Write speed -
the read speed however can and do go up to nearly 32Mb/s.......

I have cards that are rated "150x" as well as class 6, from pre-class 10 days -
most of my class 6 cards barely make the classification on write rates (on my testing) and I have reputable brands like RiData, AData, ATP -

so that is why I was actually impressed with those reported write speeds of the class 6 Transcend -
I thought those reported rates were fast!!
- as none of my class 6 cards are that fast on write.

That's the reason why I asked about the Transcend class 6 possibly being sub-par - because if your description is correct then very, very few class 6 would be satisfactory
in fact I would hazard a guess to say that even class 10 would not do it.
As my class 10 cards again barely make the classification/rating - so they are only just 10Mb/s write, and sometimes slower........

So it's a wonder that any cards would be satisfactory for your usage.

I also chimp all the time - and really do not see/feel any delay - the shots are there when I chimp - I do realize I may not be doing it at your rate - but if there was a delay then I think I would have noticed - so any and all of my class 6 (and 10) cards as well as the older 1 & 2Gb no-class but "150x" have no lag to speak of.

So I am still wondering why your 2 Transcends are that bad?

(A thought just occurred to me - a while back I complained about my K-x review being slow to show -
then it was pointed out to me if corrections like Lens distortion or Lateral Chromatic Aberration Correction were ON, or anything that requires additional processing by the camera - would lead to very slow to show reviews -
it's a low possibility - but could any of these been ON (if the K20D has any of these feature) when you tried your Transcend cards?)

If you have a USB SDHC card reader - then you may be able to benchmark those 2 Transcends -
Run the USBDeview Free software - right click (PC) on the SDHC reader and select Speed Test.
and compare with cards that are satisfactory -
that way you may find out why the Transcends are unsatisfactory.

Please let us know? Thanks

Last edited by UnknownVT; 03-18-2011 at 09:03 AM.