Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Does anyone do firmware repair other than Pentax?

I've bought an ist DS which, going by the symptoms, has had a firmware update interrupted. It's in mint condition so it seems silly to use it as a paperweight! I asked the UK agent who said send it in. I know that they'll then quote a daft price and charge me to return it. There's an independent repairer in London who said "send it to Pentax". I need tp know if there's anyone who can do the job at a sensible price; ideally on this side of the big lake.

03-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #2

Technically you should be able to swap the flash chip with another *ist DS, they should be soldered to the circuit board.
Imho that's a big hassle for the value of the camera, but it is still worth a try, at least for the educative scope.
03-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you verified that it won't accept a new firmware update? If the firmware loader still works you could take a shot at it your self.
03-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+1 : with many embedded devices the flashing is done by a bootloader that is separate from the main application (this is convenient at development and testing time and there is usually no need to change the setup for production )

03-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for the suggestions. I don't know that my soldering skills are up to lots of tiny connections in a small area! I tried an update but it doesn't even give a reading of the existing fw at startup. If all else fails I'll offer it up for sale in case someone has a scruffy but operational body which needs beautifying! I've got various oddments with it which I needed so I shouldn't be too much out of pocket.
03-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If in UK try to contact Chris at srsmicrosystems. Very nice chap and very competent too. He might be able to help...
03-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I'd suggest you contact Pentax via their livechat online under Support. Pentax USA offers this and they may be able to give you more information on the problem or updating/resetting firmware. It doesn't cost anything so this may also be worth a try.
03-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Johnsons Photopia

Product Repair

at Hempstalls Lane, Newcastle Under Lyme, Staffordshire, ST5 0SW are, as far i know, the official service people for Pentax.
Maybe try them direct ?

03-18-2011, 12:46 AM   #9

Original Poster
JP are the ones who said send it in and they would forward it abroad to Pentax somewhere! Perhaps Pentax doesn't trust anyone else with the software to make big bucks. I've read the workshop manual and it's not a big job by any means. You just need a computer, a lead and that damned software.

I'll try the other leads and report back as I'm sure there are others who would benefit from a reasonably-priced remedy.