Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2011, 08:39 AM   #1

Debug Mode

I have a K10 that is back focusing. Is there any way of getting into Debug Mode when the camera is running Firmware 1.31. The only hack I can find is for Firmware 1.30.

03-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by a johnson Quote
I have a K10 that is back focusing. Is there any way of getting into Debug Mode when the camera is running Firmware 1.31. The only hack I can find is for Firmware 1.30.
if you did not find that already = https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1332954-post9.html
03-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
for my k10 with 1.31 fw I've created MODSET.TXT with following commands in it [OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]
[SW_DEBUG_MENU EN] and it works fine to enable/disable debug mode
03-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks but I tried the MODSET TEXT thing and nothing hapend when I switched the camera on.

03-24-2011, 03:20 AM   #5

QuoteQuote:
Thanks but I tried the MODSET TEXT thing and nothing hapend when I switched the camera on
You have to leave SDcard door opened when switching on and MODSET.TXT file should contain [OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]
[SW_DEBUG_MENU EN] both commands for 1.31FW
This is my file MODSET.TXT
03-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks I will give that a try.
08-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
Inactive Account

understanding Debug

I bought a K10 used. Debug comes on the screen when I turn the camera on. It has frustrated me.I joined this group and was given instructions to download firmware. I thought that I could plug the camera in to the computer download the firmware and the debug would go away. How ..well slow of me. I also believed the camera was inoperable because of the debug mode. So today i pointed out the door and took a picture. I also thought the image would appear instANTLY ON THE big LCD but it didn't until I hit the garbage can icon and there it was. I don't totally understand the debug mode except that it acts as an override on the controls and data in the camera. Sinced I am beginning and don't even know what I want to change or why, I wanted to remove it. I'm guessing the camera then... is useable in this debug mode though looking in the manual for information isn't clear. Since there isn't an automtic removal of the debug I'm forced to live with it on the camera unless I could find a shop that would take it off and take me step by step through all the screens and neccessary info. Must not be enough blood getting to my brain..... thanks
08-15-2011, 07:17 AM   #8
Inactive Account

You won't find anything in the manual about Debug. We aren't even supposed to access it and I would imagine if, the camera was still under warranty and needed warranty service, Being in Debug would Void the warranty. A little history..

Pentax released a version 1.10 of the firmware. It was discovered that with a certain button sequence, one could enter the Debug menu to adjust the AF (the reason people use debug to begin with). Pentax discovered this, probably with all the traffic about it on the internet, and released a version 1.11 of the software. Claiming it was for a fix of some sort but what it did (we're talking a couple weeks here, Unheard of for a follow up release) is close that door to the Debug. About this time, The Pentax-Hack site was born and there at about the same time, was a program from somebody in Russia that could access the software for doing the adjustments. The hack site was at first dedicated to making the camera think it was using version 1.10 so one could Load that firmware and thus, re-enter the debug. Later came all the modset stuff for various cameras.

Check your firmware (hold the menu while turning the camera on). Download the latest firmware and follow the instructions for installing it.

1. Put the BIN file on your SD card in the root directory (you should see both the firmware and the DCIM directory at this point).
2. Make sure your battery is charged (this is Critical).
3. Put the card in the camera
4. Press the menu button while turning the camera on.
5. The camera Should give you the option of loading the new firmware. Select Yes.
6. The screen will show Phase 1 then Phase 2 followed by Completed with the card access light flashing. Do NOTHING until you see the Completed.
7. Reformat the card and enjoy your updated camera.

Hope that helps.