Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enabling Aperture Ring

Just browsing through the forums and I had a curious thought; why does Pentax make the default setting on “ enable aperture ring” = no? Why is it even necessary to have this set at anything but yes? Are there lens that won’t function with it set to yes?

03-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Who freaking knows? I've come to view this quirk as the Pentax test for seeing if you are reading the manual. There must be some reason. I suppose it's so that you don't accidentally use a lens with an aperture ring set to something other than "A." Like I said, I think it's a test. I sorta passed but I still had to find the answer here even after reading the manual. Go figure.
03-18-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yustr Quote
Just browsing through the forums and I had a curious thought; why does Pentax make the default setting on “ enable aperture ring” = no? Why is it even necessary to have this set at anything but yes? Are there lens that won’t function with it set to yes?
It's a setting for those who use manual lenses in order for them to work with modern Pentax dslr. You can purchase some great glass 40 or more years old and it works great with every model that Pentax is making today.
03-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
Inactive Account

The better question is why waste the menu and memory space with the option at all? Their claim to fame with the pentax dSLRs has always been, backward compatibility, ie, lenses with aperture rings.

03-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You can read about it here. Shooting manual lenses on Pentax DSLRs « robertsdonovan.com
03-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No idea. I'm still wondering "why the Sv mode" (though it was nicely explained, it still seems redundant) and why the last choice for the K20D RAW button is RAW --> RAW.
03-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
No idea. I'm still wondering "why the Sv mode" (though it was nicely explained, it still seems redundant) and why the last choice for the K20D RAW button is RAW --> RAW.
Job security?

03-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The only reason I can think of for having the "Use Aperture Ring" option, and its not a very good reason, is to prevent newbies from putting a manual lens on their camera, with it set to something other than "A", and panicking when the e-dial won't control the aperture.

Of course, now we have one or two threads a month, from some newbie who put a manual lens on their camera, with the aperture set to something other than "A", and is panicking because the camera is flashing "F---" at them...

I sort of agree with blackcloudbrew. It prevents you from using a manual lens unless you have some clue as to what you are doing. For the clueless, it is sort of a failsafe mode. Rather than allowing the camera to take wildly mis-exposed pictures, resulting in complaints that this Pentax camera is a POS, it won't function at all, until you get a clue.

I told you it wasn't a very good reason ...
03-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yeah. Maybe they were handing out bonus pay to programers based on features they brought to the product.
"You can set the camera to accept coupled lenses. That's a feature. I get a check. You can set the camera to also accept non-coupled lenses. That is a separate feature. I get another check."

"Auto iso. Feature. Check. Sensitivity priority. Another feature. Another check."
03-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Pentax just want us to buy the lenses currently in production. Most of us here have or want to use the old legacy lenses, but there must be many more who are happy with the DA's and the FA's. Backward compatibility is a great feature but do not have immediate effect on the bottom line as selling us new lenses.

Thanks,
03-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Pentax just want us to buy the lenses currently in production. Most of us here have or want to use the old legacy lenses, but there must be many more who are happy with the DA's and the FA's. Backward compatibility is a great feature but do not have immediate effect on the bottom line as selling us new lenses.

Thanks,
Then they should rename the cameras "Nikon".
03-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
It's a setting for those who use manual lenses in order for them to work with modern Pentax dslr. You can purchase some great glass 40 or more years old and it works great with every model that Pentax is making today.
Wow, sorry I misread your question. I thought is was a question and now that I see those here with a ton of experience more than myself knew what you were meaning...
03-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
The only reason I can think of for having the "Use Aperture Ring" option, and its not a very good reason, is to prevent newbies from putting a manual lens on their camera, with it set to something other than "A", and panicking when the e-dial won't control the aperture.

Of course, now we have one or two threads a month, from some newbie who put a manual lens on their camera, with the aperture set to something other than "A", and is panicking because the camera is flashing "F---" at them...

I sort of agree with blackcloudbrew. It prevents you from using a manual lens unless you have some clue as to what you are doing. For the clueless, it is sort of a failsafe mode. Rather than allowing the camera to take wildly mis-exposed pictures, resulting in complaints that this Pentax camera is a POS, it won't function at all, until you get a clue.

I told you it wasn't a very good reason ...
It's a very good reason, if it keeps perfectly working cameras from being sent in for no reason.
03-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It's a very good reason, if it keeps perfectly working cameras from being sent in for no reason.

That's what I was getting at. Its a good reason from a marketing/warranty engineer perspective, but a lousy reason from a photographer's perspective.

BTW, I'm too lazy to go upstairs and check, but I'm pretty sure that the "F---" is the same code that my ZX-60 film SLR flashes, when a non-AF lens, or a lens that is not set on the "A" position of the aperture. For those not familiar with this camera, it will not accept non-AF lenses or lenses with no "A" setting. So, at least Pentax has maintained some sort of consistency here.

I wonder how many cameras a week CRIS receives, with warranty complaints that turn out to be user error or lack of understanding? With the complexity of modern dslrs, I'll bet that its more than a few.
03-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

My thought is to prevent the camera from taking pictures with the lens off. It's a non-casual user option, and if you are seeking out older lenses, you can do it, you just have to do some research first.

If you notice, many of the default features are designed with the casual user in mind.