Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Help Me Please

Hello, I am new an this is my first post, I have been reading the forum for a couple of weeks and I really like it. Anyway on to my question. I have a Canon Rebel XTI which is my first DSLR and I like it but, the lenses that would give me Image Stabilization are SO expensive, the one 17-50mm that I like is $1100USD and the 70-300mm is almost $700. So I was thinking about selling it and buying either a K100D or K10D. I am still using the kit lense as I was unsure as to what focal lengths I would be using and I picked up a Sigma 70-300 APO version. Now I think it would be more cost effective for me to buy a Pentax that already had the Shake Reduction in the body and pick up a Sigma 18-50 EX f/2.8. I also like the idea of the weather resisitance. Would I notice huge differences between the Canon and the K100d, I like the cheaper price? I don't know much and I would appreciate help. Also has anyone used the Sigma 18-50 EX , I have heard about their quality control, but I am referring more to it's performance. The other lenses I was thinking about were the Pentax 16-45 and the Sigma 17-70. I hope I conveyed my question at least a little. Thanks in advance.

12-11-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon XTi is a faster camera than K100D. It focuses faster, have a larger buffer and is more responsive. If you like something like Canon XTi, you should consider Pentax K10D instead of K100D. But if a large buffer and ultra fast focus doesn't matter, then k100D is a very nice camera. Don't get me wrong - autofocus on K100D is fast, but not as fast as your Canon. I have a *istDS which is a little bit slower than K100D, but it was still able to focus track a formula 1 car coming directly against me. K10D is a lot better camera than K100D. If you can afford it, I would recommend a K10D.
12-11-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
Inactive Account

When I had my Olympus E-500, I kept thinking about switching over. I did up a table in excel and found out that I will save close to $400US on just lenses. Factor in the loss on sale which was $50, I will actually break-even in the end and have a camera with IS. Now I just need to get my hands on a K10D.

All the reviews are great and I talked to a pro photographer who is a Canon user and even he recommended the K10D!
12-11-2006, 02:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THouston26 Quote
Hello, I am new an this is my first post, I have been reading the forum for a couple of weeks and I really like it. Anyway on to my question. I have a Canon Rebel XTI which is my first DSLR and I like it but, the lenses that would give me Image Stabilization are SO expensive, the one 17-50mm that I like is $1100USD and the 70-300mm is almost $700. So I was thinking about selling it and buying either a K100D or K10D. I am still using the kit lense as I was unsure as to what focal lengths I would be using and I picked up a Sigma 70-300 APO version. Now I think it would be more cost effective for me to buy a Pentax that already had the Shake Reduction in the body and pick up a Sigma 18-50 EX f/2.8. I also like the idea of the weather resisitance. Would I notice huge differences between the Canon and the K100d, I like the cheaper price? I don't know much and I would appreciate help. Also has anyone used the Sigma 18-50 EX , I have heard about their quality control, but I am referring more to it's performance. The other lenses I was thinking about were the Pentax 16-45 and the Sigma 17-70. I hope I conveyed my question at least a little. Thanks in advance.
I agree with others. the XTI (EOS 400) would be direct competitor to the k10, including price range.
Don't rule out the k100 if you are a photographer that isn't taking sports shots all the time. It is capable of this type of shooting, but the k10 should handle that much better. think-k100 and the money for a kick butt lens....
I am glad I found this forum before I made (make... still waiting) a DSLR purchase. I had my heart set on the canon eos 30 and did not really look into the price of the canon lenses with SR built in. Then one day I decided to check out a few prices for canon lenses, and was blown away, knowing that 1500 dollars will be something I will NEVER afford, having a wife and kids. that would (to me) be just plain selfish. Then I discovered Pentax with SR in the body.... well the rest is history. I am betting that the k10 will outperform my shooting abliities without a doubt. Now 600 dollars for a lens is a bit more explainable to the wife.....

good luck with your decision

randy